• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Last of Us p.II has a confrontation in a theater that had my girlfriend and I legit shaken.

Duonala

Oct 27, 2017
Pandora's Tower.
You're always on a timer and it sucks when it's out and you get a game over. I also couldn't enjoy the dungeons because of it. It's so freaking short and the stress it caused wasn't worth it, so I dropped the game around 24 hours in.
Also, I hate Elena.

pandoras_tower_talk_elena.jpg

Where's my "Punch" option!?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Ice Pick Lodge games take the cake. No matter how good you are at them, they are hard as nails and constantly require attention and focus.

Pathologic 2 is without a doubt the most difficult game I have ever played -- not because it is difficult to complete, but because it is almost impossible to go the entire game without having to constantly re-plan and make decisions on the fly. Things are constantly changing, your needs are in constant flux, and the game state actively shifts as you play.

The Void and the original Pathologic are the same way. Engaging and flawless experiences.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
TLOU2 was incredibly anxiety inducing. I was honestly kinda mad they made the game 20+ hours long. I felt absolutely drained by the end.

RE7 in VR made me feel like I had PTSD by the end.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Probably like…

1. Overwatch
2. World of Tanks
3. League of Legends
4. War Thunder
5. Apex Legends

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Outlast 1 and 2 in a "fuck this shit" stressful way.
Bloodborne in a nail biting stressful way.
TLOU 1/2 didn't stress me out at all, really. I was only a bit worried during the hotel (?) scene in TLOU2 with the stalkers getting the gas mask.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Ninha Gaiden on the og xbox. I could never do that again.
The Resident Evil 2 remake stressed me out when Mr. X shows up. I traded the game in almost immediately at that point.

Kongo B

Sep 8, 2019
Europe
The right answer is (competitive) Starcraft 2. The pacing of the game is frantic and you get punished for every single mistake you make. Nothing comes close.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I could actually feel my pulse in final circles of warzone when getting closer to winning. Have rarely happened in any other games.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Dota 2. The game is incredibly complex and every mistake is punished heavily and your team will let you know how much they appreciated it. And I'm talking about unranked pub games, I never played ranked.

Surprised to hear people say Fall Guys. I find that game too silly to be stressful, but I've also never won a round lmao.

Fall Guys is super chill to me, but I have no idea how people play fighting games or even Magic The Gathering to relax, to me they're super rewarding but also super stressful games. I guess it boils down to habit and also not taking the game too seriously.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Monster Hunter solo stresses me out way more than any Souls game or Bloodborne. It's painful to put so much time into late game quests only to get triple carted.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
4) Sekiro

3) Mortal Kombat 11

2) Alien: Isolation

1) Gran Turismo Sport

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dark/Demon's Souls

Final ring in Apex Legends and your squad is caught in the middle of two or more other squads.

Both of them get my "oh shit I'm actually about to actually die" juices going and I love it.

xneezy

Jul 6, 2018
Starcraft2 online. I stopped playing after 100h because it got too stressful on higher ranks.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Different types of stress I guess, I think Pathologic 2 is a game that uses stress to very good effect but it's not something that literally increases my heart rate. P2 is about adapting to the failure of your decisions and consequent string of tragedies you leave in your wake, as well as eating moldy sandwiches out of bins.

If ppl want to see what it looks like when a game uses panic and pressure as a mechanic to communicate its story then they should play it.

Oct 27, 2017
For me it was probably SOMA. I didn't even get very far into it first time around; the goddamn sound effects are so good and so creepy that I stopped playing a little way in. I do intend to go back to it at some point.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Me and my buddy were switching off on deaths for Demon Souls, it was a terrible idea, we were both just overly stressed and irritable after a bit.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
Rainbow Six Siege ranked multiplayer, it became so stressful that I had to switch to casual mode to have fun again

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, any competitive shooter would wind up on my 'very stressed' list. Had to stop playing last year's CoD: MW for this reason. But also raiding in WoW on Mythic has been up there at times.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Tetris and Super Hexagon in the puzzle world. Gran Turismo Sport for competitive. Single player campaigns that haunt my memory is the final stretch of Super Metroid and the entirety of Catherine.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I find Souls games to be strangely relaxing, except in Dark Souls 1 when you have defeated Quelaag and have to climb all the way up and then accidentally fall of a ledge. FFFUUUUUUU---

Fighting bosses in Dark Souls and Bloodborne is actually super relaxing for me though. Nothing beats a good boss fight after a long, hard day.

Anyway, my most stressful game would probably be Cuphead or perhaps some Guitar Hero/Rock Band songs.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Overwatch (competitive mode).
I get sweaty whenever I start a search for a competitive game. Performance anxiety, ugh.

cyress8

Avenger
1. Monster Hunter: World - Dropping saed on a monster and it wiggles to the left/right every fucking time. It kills me inside everytime when I miss by an inch
2. Star Citizen - never know when a dick will stow away on your ship with millions of dollars in cargo and shoot you in the head with a bullet or shoot you in the head with a nerf dart.
3. Add Dark Souls here.
4. Nothing else, other than some pvp games.

Nov 6, 2017
Doing the platinum relics in Crash Bandicoot 4 time trials.
Toxic Tunnels was fucking insane, my heart was racing when I got to the end, I was physically and mentally drained. So that lately.
WipeOut HD also comes to mind

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 3
Dead Space 2
Crash team racing Nitro fueled
Spelunky 2
Overwatch

Crash racing is really stressful trying to do those time trials to unlock things.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us Part II
Alien Isolation
Nightmare Grimm King boss in Hollow Knight
The Last of Us Multiplayer

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I don't have enough games to round out a list of 5, but all three Cook, Serve, Delicious! games do such a perfect job of simulating the stresses of short-order cooking that I can't think of any other game that comes close.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
1. Rainbow 6 Siege. - If the community for this game wasn't comprised of just the most horrible wastes of matter ever, it wouldn't even crack my top 5, but knowing that if I miss a shot, or miss some guy in the corner I'm going to get 4 DM's from 10 year olds telling me to kill myself definitely adds a level of stress that no other game does for me. (For the record, I have message notifications turned off now, and only accept messages from people on my friends list, but it's like how you still have nightmares about high school for decades after you graduate...that feeling is always there).

2. Overcooked/Overcooked 2 - Just because it's like the one game my fiancee likes playing with me, but also, we had to stop playing at some point before one of us said something to the other that we would not be able to take back.

3. Bloodborne - Obvious reasons, but oddly I find the Dark Souls games to be more calming experiences overall. I'm sure it's something to do with always needing to be on the offensive.

4. Old Adventure Games - Any of them up until around the more modern Telltale stuff. I love the stories and the relaxed pace, but I also just hate being stuck. If I'm going to list a game, we'll say Day of the Tentacle, but any of those old LucasArts/Sierra adventure games just stress the hell out of me.

5. Rocket League - Easily my most played game this generation. And I'm pretty pretty good at it. It's almost stressful for the opposite reason that RB6 Siege is, but I'm also not a jerk, and I've never sent a DM to a disappointing teammate, no matter how badly they blew it. It just sucks when I'm carrying a team the whole game, and all they have to do is sit back and not let the other team score, and then they score an owngoal, and you just want to rage.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Starcraft 2 ladder was legit too stresful for me. I really wanted to play more of the game but I just couldn't.

Pugging extreme/Savage raids in FFXIV is another one. Imagine a Dark Souls boss, except way harder, you have to do them with other people who get increasingly irritated over time and making a mistake wipes the entire party.

Also rhythm games. Nothing like playing an extremely hard 5 minute song, making it through a hard part and then trying to keep it together while getting through the rest of it.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
FFXI in the 75 cap days.

Trying to claim King Arthro
Theory crafting Absolute Virtue
Trying to get a 35 drop in Salvage
Leveling crafts and building a relic

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
Hunt Showdown, by far. Also, the best multiplayer experience this gen.

Then, I'd place Alien Isolation and neutral heavy fighting games like Street Fighter V. Also, Darkest Dungeon is probably the most stress inducing RPG ever made.

Funny thing is, I think stress inducing games are some of the best in their categories. It takes truly amazing game design to walk the fine line between stressful and just plain frustrating gameplay and each victory in those games feels that much better!

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Tekken in general, Upper cathedral ward in bloodborne, being Halfway through a song you're trying to perfect on project diva, can't think of any others

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Overcooked. I find it too stressful and chaotic to be any fun. My friends got me to play it and I ended up having a miserable time with it.

Also Doom Eternal. Def not the good kind of stressful for me.

Saint Scylla

Dec 30, 2019
Battle Brothers in ironman.

Darkest Dungeon.

Alien Isolation, obviously.

Defcon. The soundscape is terrifying. How did we come to this?

Frunkalicious

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'll go with StarCraft 2 aswell, even though I love it.

My neighbor put it pretty well. So I was standing on the street with my big ass PC, waiting to get picked up by my buddy. We have a yearly SC2 tournament, between friends, just for fun (or not). A neighbor walks by and starts chatting about LAN parties, he still plays CS and whatnot. He asks what we are playing and I said SC2. His reaction was kinda wierd at first, but it turns out he used to be an avid ladder player but had to quit after a couple of years because of the stress it brought him. He said the game 'wasn't compatible with life' so I guess there was more to it. One thing he said really stuck with me;

"That game is so heavy, it's just you all alone in the darkness, that bloody darkness, it'll eat you up and make you a mess."

I think that's a pretty apt description and a I hadn't really thought of fog of war in that sense either. Not knowing what your opponent is doing causes a lot of stress and you'll never have a full scout at all times, so you'll always be worried in some capacity.
Anyway, I just came to think of what my random neighbor said when I read the thread title heh

Other than SC2, I think FG tournaments can get pretty stressfull but that I feel improves with age and experience. When I was younger, I probably had a heartbeat of 120 in pools lol