• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Star Fox 64

IUNJolregVae8gNMdFxo9-psHBmQNp71LcD_wKKYi90_hmCPM3y2gkHA4E35A082Aw1EOtWjTT-ZyEVSSOGN12OZ0envsS3WlgGMUuihCadIshA1YmM7pSb73YA

Not embarrassed, this is still wonderful work.

Yeah this is my mention too! Lylat Wars was my first N64 game I got with the system after I played it on a demo-station and wow was I blown away as a kid.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Microcosm on the Amiga CD32, I thought FMV was going to be the pinnacle of graphics. My tiny kid brain could not comprehend what 3D graphics would become. I used to dream of the equivalent of GTA but in full FMV with every choice you'd think of making having been prerecorded in video.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Tron 2.0 from 2003:
b80f07f7f19cd589f0f06b9c086479ef005047f4e27f9f8fceea6f0868907737.jpg

Would be about the closest thing, as I remember thinking something like "I can't think of anything to add to make this look and feel more like Tron".

But now these days I know that little bit of Daft Punk, HDR and possibly VR-gameplay would make it feel more like Tron. Here is hoping for Tron 3.0.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Lol. I had this EXACT moment at a different kiosk, but with Medal of Honor: Frontline for the PS2.

I remember that. I used to work at an independent game shop at the time and we used to have a PS2, a 5.1 surround sound system and a controller set-up with the start of the game ready to play. It used to blow customers minds. The Normandy beach scene alone would get people buying PS2s on the spot.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Mortal Kombat II, 3, and WWE Arcade all had what looked like perfect photographic images of the actors involved. As a child I honestly didn't think anything more could be done for visuals than that. I thought that was going to be the absolute pinnacle.

Sep 29, 2019
I thought the PSP was the FUTURE of gaming. Even with other consoles out, to me, it was going to drive the industry crazy, and it had the BEST graphics. Clealy, bit out of my mind...

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
People have covered most of the older ones I'd have referenced, but I want to give a shout-out to the garages you could populate and explore in PGR3 on the Xbox 360. That was my first HD game, running on a brand-new TV with fancy composite cables, and I remember thinking that was it - there was nowhere to go from there:

201317-project-gotham-racing-3-xbox-360-screenshot-the-complete-ferrari.jpg

Looking back, the cars still look sort of adequate, but the environments are incredibly basic.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I remember being surprised by my school friend saying video games head peaked and there was no reason to go any further .... with Sonic 3. He didn't believe me when I said things would only get better.

That said, when I saw the future in an arcade a few years later, I wasn't sure where else graphics could go...
GclfTrh.gif

Trust me, seeing SCUD Race in real life on an actual cabinet in 1996 was mind blowing. There was nothing else even in the same ballpark. Even in the parking lot of said ballpark. It was the future.
I remember a lot of gaming mags late 90s kept showing screenshots of that fucking baby from the messiah game. I wasn't impressed but these journos really seemed to be.
lol I remember this too.
Particularly in the Sega Saturn magazine where they were acting like it would save the console from certain doom, the devs knew all the tricks, etc.. it didn't even release on the Saturn in the end (I don't think?)

TeHi & BuSp

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
ckRf-J.gif

Killer Instinct arcade ... the first time I saw it , I immediately thought that in a home console there would never be anything like this

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
1697738.jpg

Pinnacle Squaresoft that time.

Though I'm not exactly embarrassed; XII, XIII, even XV was...

Averagely good in my opinion.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I asked my mom to return resident evil cause I was too scared to play it. I barely got anywhere in it and I was 14! This happened :

resident-evil-deadly-silence-20051103064205477_640w.jpg

and I didn't want to play anymore. How could it be so realistic! And I just started! I'll never make it to the end.
Yeah, that's kinda embarrassing. At least I didn't jack off to lara croft ps1 graphics.

Oh wait I did. Oops.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
I've had several, going back as far as Amiga games in the 80's, but one of my favorite "it's never going to get better than that" moments was Severance.

I mean:

766672.gif

BA6Iimy.gif

The animations, real-time shadows, physics. That game was insane.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
I remember booting up this game on Christmas Eve and was blown away. I was sitting next Timm older brother telling him that "graphics can't get any better, it's almost photorealistic!" it's Tekken Tag Tournament
52d39ab2455bb.jpg

How wrong younger me was..

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
This happened multiple times over the years growing up, probably the last would have been Gran Turismo 3 on PS2.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
At no time did I ever think graphics were never going to look better, but I remember being blown away buy the first Oblivion screenshots. If you look at them now they really aren't too hot anymore, especially with that awful bloom lighting:

130197-vollbild.jpg

the_elder_scrolls_iv_oblivion_image13.jpg

apps.45973.66376699680658904.b89e0470-a9fd-478c-b37f-8e58507461f6.83926417-4c21-40d8-a587-33b04c95973d

RonianAT

Jul 23, 2019
Oh my god I did too. If I remembered correctly it was at Epcot with other next gen systems set up like Sega Saturn — I'm the only one in my family who remembers it. I wanted to stay there all day. Do you have anymore details about why that was there?

I think it was for promotion purposes, I was acutally there all day playing SM64 and Shadows of the Empire. My parents were looking for me because I was thirteen and they found me there lol :D

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
I do remember thinking Comanche 3 looked like just real life:

images

images

images

images

I didn't particularly felt this was the pinnacle of graphics, but when you think it looks like just like real life it's kind of implied.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it was 1995. We went to rent a new baseball cause my dad loved playing home run derby. World Series Baseball for Sega Genesis. Told my dad I don't see how games can look any better. It was basically real life. I was 12.
World_Series_Baseball_95.png
It still blows my mind how developers were able to get such good results out of the MD after the system was seven years old.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Late-gen PS1 games like Chrono Cross was where I thought "it just won't get better." But generationally, I think the art direction held up a lot better than early, low-res 3D games. I remember them advertising "photorealistic graphics" on a Home Shopping Network program on Donkey Kong Country when I was, god, like 8? That was another contender for "won't get better." And of course Mega Man's spinning animation in like, 4 I think? When he earns a power up.

Muras

Oct 28, 2017
I don't believe I ever thought graphics couldn't get better. I do remember "looking forward" to the time when we got to where things were photo realistic.

However, these days I'm pretty satisfied with visuals, and have been since around the release of the Wii U. I've always been more of a Nintendo gamer, and I remember the Wii era visuals feeling pretty painful compared to what the other platforms were doing. Things have certainly gotten better since then, especially on PC and other platforms, but I find myself pretty content with things now. Perhaps it was due to the Wii's lack of graphical power that taught me visuals weren't everything, and gameplay/fun is always the most important.

And of course, it's always great to experience those "wow" moments when visuals impress, don't get me wrong. But I'd much prefer to see games focus more on performance, playability, and expanded concepts than pure graphical fidelity nowadays.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
I asked my mom to return resident evil cause I was too scared to play it. I barely got anywhere in it and I was 14! This happened :

resident-evil-deadly-silence-20051103064205477_640w.jpg

and I didn't want to play anymore. How could it be so realistic! And I just started! I'll never make it to the end.
Yeah, that's kinda embarrassing. At least I didn't jack off to lara croft ps1 graphics.

Oh wait I did. Oops.
veronica-are-you-kidding.gif

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
s-l640.jpg

I wish I could see some of these games and screenshots as they were originally viewed on an old CRT tv. Modern high res screens make these look even worse than they did at the time.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
This thread reminds me of a time I was going through some of my old gaming magazines at my parents house. In an issue of, I want to say Tips & Tricks that had a guide for Crash Bandicoot: Warped, there was a comment on one of the Coco jet ski levels that said this was "the most realistic water ever seen in a game" or something similar.
88797-crash-bandicoot-warped-playstation-screenshot-coco-riding-a.png

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
I've
You think Half - Life 2 aged poorly? I just replayed it and thought it aged 1,000 times better than I remembered. The sense of scale and adventure is honestly still unmatched in my opinion.

You're right that its aged pretty damn well for a 2004 game. But I've played it so many times, that I've started... noticing things. Like a fence in Water Hazard that is just a 2d texture. And the fact that the the Combine AR3 and its ammo pickups make no visual sense, cause it was repurposed from a single-shot magazine incendiary rifle in the beta.

(Half-Life 2 is my favorite FPS of all time. I'm allowed to pick on it more than most people, lol.)

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
2000: Wow Age of Empires II is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

2020: Wow Age of Empires II is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

maxresdefault.jpg
The DE looks so beautiful and I'm trying really hard not to buy it because I have too many games on the run as it is lmao. It would be good to mass teutonic knights again though....

I like it without the bloom which I find makes the image pretty smudged. That comparison really makes it stand out how much muddier it is with the post processing effects. Without them DE looks hawt.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
mhm..

I don't think I've ever been naive enough to think that graphics couldn't get better.
Yeah. Have I been blown away by a game only to look back at it years later and think "oh wow this hasn't aged well"? Lots of times. Thinking technology was somehow going to stop and no more improvements would occur, ever? Not really.

MarineSparks

Jan 5, 2020
Wisconsin
I never thought things "couldn't get better", but it's pretty embarrassing that it took the better part of a decade for games to catch up to Crysis.
6sy1kr4yw5l11.jpg

Last edited:

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
It's hard to pinpoint one example, but a recent one for me is P.T.

The first time I've played the demo, I had to stop because it felt way too real (uncanny valley). Add in the tense atmosphere and you get a really effed up experience.

I mean look at this:

But I guess this is not embarassing enough. So I'll go with Metal Gear Solid 2. We all thought the attention to detail + graphics was out of this world.

I mean, the game still looks good 15+ years later:

QTfFwRq.jpg

Although that's probably not from V1.0, MGS2 is one game that was really firing on all cylinders (ok, maybe not the story).

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Never. I always thought they'd look like real life eventually

That's pretty much where I am.

I distinctly remember being a teenager in a local bowling alley arcade and looking at the marque for the original Contra:

il_570xN.1340062872_aujx.jpg

I thought to myself: Games will eventually look like that.

And to be fair, we're getting pretty damn close.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Hm, I don't think I've ever had a moment where I've thought we've reached the peak of graphics.

But I've obviously had moments where a specific game made me ay, "Holy shit. This is next gen."

SSX was one of those games for me.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
As a kid seeing Mortal Kombat in the arcade, i was just blown away how real the characters looked. I was thinking there's no way it can look anymore realer than this.

maxresdefault.jpg
Man I came here to post exact same thing. My 10 year old brain could not believe it'll get better than this, ever.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I think we have grown to become less naive in regards to what can be done with computer generated graphics. With that said I do believe that there will be a bit of a plateau in regards to what can be accomplished without pulling people out of an experience. I don't know how much better we want things to get outside of collision detection with hair and various objects, interactive environments, AI, animation, and framerate. Once games truly achieve something like the teaser for Hellblade 2, I'd say we're just about done. If we keep pushing too much further into reality, then really the best looking games of all time are those old AMV games from the 80s. We still need a bit of suspension of disbelief so we know that what we are playing isn't real life, but still just a game.

I do love these nostalgia trips though.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I remember it exactly - it was Christmas 2007, I was 11 years old and I had gotten the Call of Duty Legacy thing that came with Finest Hour and Big Red One for my PS2. Now, for some context, I had only gotten my PS2 the previous Christmas and all the games I'd gotten so far (which I think was like maybe four or five at that point) were cartoony ones, so when I loaded up both games for the first time on my TV, I was fucking blown away.

NvSMV2H.png

This was THE MOST realistic looking thing to me. I was (and still am) a huge history buff and I thought this looked just like the WW2 documentaries I'd watch on History Channel. I legit couldn't think of how they could make it look more like the war, my 11 year old self was amazed. Legit thought this was as good as games got.