• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
War hammer and Age of Conan were the only two mmo's I felt were good enough to take seriously for a little while. But I've played most of those on the list. WoW being the only one I still play

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
One that applies to me that haven't been mentioned yet is Hellgate London. That was some mediocre months playing that game

Jun 17, 2018
Not many for me.

1. ESO
2. Neverwinter
3. Guild Wars 1 and 2

I played to about level 10 on WoW but didn't care to get sucked into it at release. Guild Wars 1 though was and remains my favourite MMO of all time.

The mission prior to ascension n in GW1 nearer the end of the game was a fucking nightmare without the exact right party. I remember completing it and trying to get a friend through it but never could.

Those were the days šŸ˜„

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh RuneScape. I played that game from 2001 to 2019. I haven't touched it in about a year, and can't see myself going back. But nothings ever dead, not really.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
  1. Asheron's Call (still alive in my heart)
  2. Dark Age of Camelot
  3. Star Wars Old Republic
  4. Elder Scrolls Online
  5. Albion Online
  6. Lord of the Rings Online
  7. Star Trek Online
  8. WoW
  9. Rift
  10. Black Desert Online
  11. Everquest
  12. TERA: Rising

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
  1. FF11 (so many hours, and they probably streamlined the game, but my memories of the slow slog of that game are both my favorite thing of that game and also why I wouldn't go back)
  2. WoW (gave up after a month way, waaay back when that game came out)
  3. Aion (think that was the name, or was it an acronym?)
  4. DAoC (another game that I don't really remember, but I know I bought it)
  5. Everquest 2
  6. DC Universe
  7. Planetside 2 (well, MMO FPS. I occasionally think of going back and playing it, think they're introducing some new thing now to try and boost the population back up)
  8. Planetside 1
  9. City of Heroes (this was a dead game now, right?)
  10. MAG (see Planetside 2, also a dead game)
  11. EVE Online (pretty sure I've played this, but it might have been like a 1 week trial)

I only currently play FFXIV, and I'm sure there are other, newer ones out there that are fine and good, but I just don't think I have enough time or interest to dive into another game.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man I've played so many of them lmao, I think I've tried every f2p MMO during my teenage years. But the only MMO I come back to is FFXIV, and even then I'm not sure I'd be able to get into it now if I had to start from the beginning, so much stuff.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to get back into Tera a few months ago but felt lost on what to do. Plus the character names got reset at some point and I couldn't log in on any until I changed the names so that also put me off. Oh and it still runs like crap! I guess I'm done with that game.

I would like to return to Champions Online but all of my characters had customised archetypes that are only accessible when paying a subscription and I'm not going back to paying. You can convert them to the free-to-play archetypes but I don't want to!

World of Warcraft for the same reason (not going back to paying.)

Path of Exile, because I found it boring and its inventory system is frustrating.

Guild Wars 2 because it's not really Guild Wars 2.

The mission prior to ascension n in GW1 nearer the end of the game was a fucking nightmare without the exact right party. I remember completing it and trying to get a friend through it but never could.
Which one? There are three that can be completed in any order though I'm guessing Thirsty River because that can be pretty tricky if you can't kill the Forgotten priests fast enough.

I did these a couple of days ago with just henchmen and it's not too hard, though skill tweaks since you last played may have made things easier (the bonus for Dunes of Despair is a nightmare unless you resort to using the cutscene exploit though!)

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't play too many because I got into WoW when TBC came out.

I started with Runescape and then got into WoW from TBC and WotLK and partially through Cata. I played quite a bit of The Old Republic too but now I'm back into WoW with Classic. The one MMO I would love to play is Star Wars Galaxies. I wasn't really old enough to play online or sustain a subscription at the time so I missed the boat but it just sounds so awesome until apparently an update ruined it. If there was ever a Star Wars Galaxies Classic or a faithful successor, I'd be there day one.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
Aion, Allods, Archeage, Aura Kingdom, BDO, B&S, Dragon Nest, Echo of Soul, FF XIV, Flyff, GW2, Lineage 2, Metin 2, MU, Perfect World, Rift, Rohan, TERA, WOW.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
  • Dungeons & Dragons Online
  • The Elder Scrolls Online
  • FF XI
  • FF XIV
  • Flyff
  • Guild Wars
  • Guild Wars 2
  • Dragon Nest
  • Dragonica
  • Black Desert Online
  • Defiance
  • Lord of the Rings Online
  • Maplestory
  • Maplestory 2
  • Neverwinter
  • PSO2
  • Ragnarok Online
  • Ragnarok Online 2
  • Realm of the Mad God
  • Runes of Magic
  • Runescape
  • Skyforge
  • Spiral Knights
  • TERA
  • Vindictus
  • World of Warcraft
I think that's most of them. I know I'm missing a few of the phone ones that I used to play (if they're even still a thing).

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
Funny to think about all data we've generated that's just sitting on a server or disk somewhere that's never going to be read again...

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Ragnarok Online
Mabinogi (granted I barely got into it)
Some steam game called "something Hearts"...... an action MMO from the looks of it but for the life of me can't remember it's name

FFXIV has my dedication and I don't think I'll ever play another MMO once I retire from it.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I played EverQuest 1 from launch, for about 5.5 years. I have been playing World of Warcraft since launch and my account has never lapsed once.

Beyond that, I dipped my toes into City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, Guild Wars, EverQuest 2, Warhammer, FF14, Black Desert Online, and likely a couple more I can't think of at the moment. These were just a couple of weeks or even days of playing before I gave up.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
City of Heroes/Villains is no longer going, so guess they don't count. And I assume the PSO2 characters I created during the JP beta don't actually count, either.
  • World of Warcraft
  • FFXI
  • Granado Espada (I might have only played during the beta)
  • EVE Online
  • TERA
  • Guild Wars 2
  • FFXIV
  • Blade & Soul (I did dip back in for a second a few months back.)
Black Desert Online is not technically in the graveyard yet, but haven't really played in a month or two.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
In order:
  • R.O.S.E Online
  • WoW
  • The Old Republic
  • Guild Wars 2
  • Black Desert
  • FF 14
I've dabbled in trial periods for other MMOs, but these were the only ones I sunk significant time into

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
From favorite to least:

1: WoW
2: LOTRO
3: Galaxies
4: Conan
5: Old Republic
6: Rift
7: Guild Wars 2
8: Elder Scrolls online

Lot of great memories with friends and family on late nights and weekends.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Of all the MMOs I've played throughout the years (more than I can remember), the one I miss the most is Asheron's Call.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
My first MMO was the iRO beta back in 2000 and since I have played nearly every MMO I could.

Currently playing WoW and FF14.

I have max level characters in all of the major MMOs but I will never play them again for various reasons.

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Funny to think about all data we've generated that's just sitting on a server or disk somewhere that's never going to be read again...

That's what got me thinking about it. I have a couple of games where I made a ton of cash from early broken economies and wondering whether they are still loaded in game or if inflation made them worthless.

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
  • World of Warcraft
Played a lot from vanilla through Cataclysm, then on and off renewed my subscription once in a while just to play battlegrounds (my absolute favorite part of WoW), then stopped before Pandaria and didn't even keep up with what's changed in the later expansions, my interest fell off a cliff when my single player backlog became more attractive. I don't think I'll ever go back, but the memories, especially from the vanilla days, or exploring Northrend for the first time, and the intense pvp games in Alterac Valley will always be some of my favorite gaming moments.
  • Elder Scrolls Online
Being a huge fan of the universe, ESO should have been the one for me, but it wasn't. Played just a little when it launched, it was rough. The plan was always to return when it's fixed and improved and, unlike WoW, I kept buying the physical collector's editions for all the expansions (shame on them for giving Elsweyr the short stick!), they're great bang for the buck for a collector like me, so my account is up to date. Then the players started reporting it's been fixed and improved, and I came back, only to play some 40-50 hours and then quit again (lack of time and a little overwhelmed by the tons of content available already). Seeing how the mainline TES games become so spaced out nowadays, in theory I could delve into this at some point... it's just that the more content they add, the less likely for me to start over. I'm not a fan of the scaling from One Tamriel either. I just prefer my single player games, old and new, they take pretty much all my free time. Maybe some day I'll just make a character to explore Morrowind a little, like a nostalgia trip but I just can't see myself invested for years like I did with WoW, those days are over for me.
  • Guild Wars 2
Trailers looked great, preordered, played a few days, didn't click with me, I came with a WoW mindset and was underwhelmed by the progression so I quit and will never go back.

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
SWTOR is the only one I really spent time playing. Seven fucking years, man. I don't know if I can say I have truly stopped playing... we'll see...

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I have played so many mmo's but the only one I can still go back to and play is FFXIV.

I want to get back into it but it's so time consuming. You can really get left behind in ffxiv if you're not keeping up with dailies.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
1: WoW (played the longest over the years. Been out of it since Cataclysm but but played since Vanilla before that.
2: Guild Wars 2. Total waste of money. Did not enjoy the lack of role based combat at all
3: Star Wars: The Old Republic - Not bad but never resubbed after trial ended. Just didn't have enough time and wasn't enough there to hold me. Wasn't a fan of how gear worked
4: FFXIV - I actually really enjoyed this game and would have played it longer if we hadn't had our first kid. Just realized we didn't have the time or motivation to play an mmo game anymore.
5: Wild Arms: Was very hyped for this before release. Seemed like it was doing all the right things. Enjoyed the beta. Never bought it but did create an account when it went free to play. After a few hours, it just didn't hook me.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
FFXI: loved it until it was impossible to find groups thanks to elitism online.
WoW: loved it until my PC exploded. Never played it, or any MMO since. Thank god, blessing in disguise that was.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
-Final Fantasy XI
Played it for nearly a year and had a dark knight. I stopped when WoW was released. I hated trying to find groups and how the entire game at the time was practically kiting monsters, and if the party wiped, everyone dispersed only for you to spend another hour waiting for a party.

-World of Warcraft.
I played during both the closed and open beta, and then got the game at release. I stopped in 2006 before Burning Crusade released. My level 60 Night Elf hunter and level 60 Gnome mage have been sitting there for... damn... nearly 14 years!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Graveyard implying I never go back so not many tbh, as I go back to WoW every xpac (and sometimes in between for a bit), I go back to ESO for a bit sometimes since it has no sub and I just did like 600 hours of FF14 recently and I stopped but im sure ill be back. So I guess taking those 3 out we have:

Rift
Blade & Soul
Tera
The Old Republic (even raided in this one)
Guild Wars 2
Warhammer Online (rip I loved it)
Wildstar I barely played
The Secret World I only finished the vanilla story not any of the million dlcs

I think youll find most mmo players will have very similar lists, we tend to give them all a shot. A lot like arpg (the diablo-style) or fighting games I suppose.

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Graveyard implying I never go back so not many tbh, as I go back to WoW every xpac (and sometimes in between for a bit), I go back to ESO for a bit sometimes since it has no sub and I just did like 600 hours of FF14 recently and I stopped but im sure ill be back. So I guess taking those 3 out we have:

WoW is the only one I am still actively playing, even though I take breaks. I sometimes get the itch to revisit others, but I don't think I ever will.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
  1. Ragnarok Online
  2. Guild Wars
  3. Guild Wars 2
  4. Latale
  5. Tera
  6. Blade and Soul
  7. FF14
  8. World of Warcraft
  9. Dungeon Fighter Online
  10. PSO2
Lots more i don't remember or only played for a few weeks, there's are the only one i'd say i spent enough time to be worth a mention. Next one i'll try will be blue reflexion, if only for the comfy anime visuals.

Aug 28, 2019
No point in listing the dozens I've tried briefly and put down, so just the ones I've put significant time into on official servers:

World of Warcraft - played off and on from launch into Burning Crusade, then quit due to being burned out on raiding and guild drama. My old account is long since inaccessible, but I returned a few years ago during Warlords when the game was on sale. Found the whole thing to be far inferior to what it used to be, but did get one character up to max level. Quit the guild I had joined due to transphobic behavior from a leader. Guild hopped for a bit, then quit playing.

Everquest 2 - played from Echoes of Faydwer into Skyshrine. Absolutely loved the game, but the quality trended downward for my entire time with it until it wasn't worth playing anymore. By the time I gave up on it I was the only regular left in my small guild.

Rift - didn't like it during beta, but picked it up later on and played here and there into the first expansion. Some EQ2 guildies joined in half-heartedly but I never really had a solid group to play with. Left after the extremely tacky and insulting f2p conversion.

FF14 - played ARR until level 30-40 or so. Never found a decent guild or made any friends, got bored of soloing.

The common thread here is not having people to play with. MMOs are generally not worth playing alone, but I've learned to hate pickups and I am sick of the guild cycle.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
- Dark ages of Camelot
- World of Warcraft
- FF11
- Some Korean mmo that everyone was excited for for a few days
- FF14 - got locked out of my account and haven't played this or any other mmo in years

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Ragnarok Online - 5 years
Maplestory - 1 year
Ragnarok Online 2 (original) - 2 years
TERA - 1 year
Blade and Soul - 1 month
WoW - 3 hours
Diablo 3(?) - 3 hours

You would think I'd have played more MMOs, but I'm picky and tend to stick to one if I like it. Been playing FFXIV since ARR began beta testing in 2013 so it's nearing 7 years to the date of March iirc

There was also a Chinese mmo where you use wuxia and fly around with umbrellas that I played for a few days, forgot the name.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've been playing MMO's since I was a kid back in 2000-ish, starting with Ultima Online. I have played every major MMO release in the US - many for no longer than a few weeks, though:

- Ultima Online
- Star Wars Galaxies
- Dark Age of Camelot
- Earth and Beyond
- Final Fantasy XI
- Eve Online
- Maple Story
- City of Heroes
- World of Warcraft*
- Dungeons & Dragons Online*
- The Lord of the Rings Online*
- Age of Conan
- Aion
- Warhammer Online
- DC Universe
- Champions Online
- Rift
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Guild Wars 2
- Wild Star
- Final Fantasy XIV*
- Albion

* I came back to this after the release of at least one expansion / major update

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
-Guild Wars 2
-Warhammer Online
-World of Warcraft*
-Maple Story*

I come back every so often for Maple Story and WoW (especially at an expansions launch). The latter I've played since Vanilla

KendoClub

Oct 27, 2017
FF14
GW2
I wish I had known about the MapleStory name wipe (They deleted unactive accounts unless claimed during the grace period), my account got cleaned out :(
Dc universe online

Roaringburn

Oct 27, 2017
Guild Wars 2. I sunk 1000+ hours into it, got myself a legendary. Tried to get back into it after Living Story season something but at this point I have no idea what's going on anymore. Still have great memories though and I'd be day one for a third game.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
FFXI - Played at US launch, quit during CoP and came back briefly for WotG.
Mistigris - a Mithra BLM, my main.
Prettierboy - a Tarutaru mule, made to poke fun of my friend Prettyboy.
Dreadcelery - a Galka mule, made because the character creator's random names for Galka are hilarious.

FFXIV - Played for 6 hours when 1.0 released. My brand new PC could not run that game at 30 FPS, bleh.
Mistigris - a Miqote, um.... alchemist? I think I mostly tried to craft and then went out to punch rabbits.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Am I really the only person who played A Tale in the Desert? Such a strange little game that still seems to persist to this day. If there were ever a game that followed up on some of its ideas, I'd probably be all over it.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
The only two I put any time into and are now not played:

Anarchy Online
The Secret World

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I've played a loooot of MMOs over the years, but the only ones I really stuck with beyond a month are:
  1. Asheron's Call (officially dead, but custom servers live on...)
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Final Fantasy 14
The only one I'd actually recommend today is FF14, which has essentially become a better-looking, better-written, more polished version of WOW.

I very much wish for another game in AC's style; it had a strong emphasis on free form exploration and character building in a wildly original setting. Going back to it today is rough because it wasn't a particularly good looking game even back in the 90s, and the game world got weirder and more disjointed over the 15 years (!) of live updates when the game was still officially running. It also has a lot less to "do" from a modern gamer's perspective. There's a huge open world with hundreds of dungeons and landmarks to go see, but no narrative thread or explicit quest system to lead players to them. The game relied heavily on the community going out and finding things to share with each other, so it doesn't hold up super well on a custom server with only a few hundred players and nothing really new to find anymore.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
1. EverQuest
2. Earth & Beyond
3. Star Wars: Galaxies (twice)
4. World of WarCraft
5. Star Wars: The Old Repubilc