• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Thinking of all those MMO characters waiting for their players to come back.

What's on your list of MMO RPGs you no longer play but still could?
(Limited to still active games only)

EDIT: List here:

1. WoW (still active for me at least)
2. Guild Wars 1&2
3. Star Wars Old Republic
4. Elder Scrolls Online
5. Star Trek Online
6. Lord of the Rings Online
7. Dungeons & Dragons online
8. Neverwinter
9. Rift
10.The Secret World

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
FF14

my inventory ensures i'll never log back in to clean up and figure out what the hell i was doing at the time

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
WoW pretty much. Every new expansion the itch comes back and this time I finally saved up atleast a bit of money on my main to have an easier jump-in next time.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Whenever I get the itch to go back to WoW, it comes paired with the memory of how much time I've already wasted on that game, and I get a minor panic attack.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I played/tried pretty much all of the (once) big ones. Except WoW. I never played WoW. The most time I invested into Guild Wars 2, TESO and Final Fantasy XIV. TESO and FFXIV I will probably return to someday. Still not finished with all the story content these games have to offer.

Arkhanor

Oct 27, 2017
Recife - Brazil
1. WoW
2. Guild Wars 2
3. The Secret World
4. Star Wars Old Republic
5. Start Trek Online
6. Lord of the Rings Online
7. Dungeons & Dragons online
8. Neverwinter

Hulohot

Banned
Jan 1, 2019
RuneScape
The Elder Scrolls Online

I haven't played many MMO's

I would have liked to try Dragons Dogma Online though.

Jan 11, 2020
More or less every major (and many indie) mmos released between 1999 and 2018.
Me and my father gobbled mmos like hot cakes when I was growing up, lots of quality time together.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
FF11
Guild Wars 1
WoW
Guild Wars 2

By *far* the most time in WoW though. Of the others, I only got max level in the GWs, and then basically stopped playing them entirely.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Tried them all, but only really played Lineage II and WoW. Maybe Rift counts as well, played that the longest of the ones I "tried".

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
In order

Ragnarok Online
WoW
Guild Wars
TERA
FFXI
Ragnarok Online 2 (wtf...)
Guild Wars 2
Archeage
Wildstar
Black Desert Online
Tree of Savior
Bless Online (lol)
FFXIV

The original RO and WoW up until WotLK are still unmatched for me. Everything else was usually a short burst of fun until it fell apart. Just like Bless Online - a single evening of laughing at how bad it was. Worth the price imo.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Final Fantasy XI
Priston Tale
Blade and Soul... for like 15 minutes
Ragnarok Online
Lineage 2

I went through a phase after Priston Tale where I was obsessed with online games. All the random trash free MMO's I tried but can't remember like MU Online and more.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Ragnarok Online
Final Fantasy XI
WoW
Final Fantasy 14

I'll never play another MMO again. I just dont have the time to dedicate anymore. I'd rather spend my time playing single player games.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
FF14
I really really wish all that game's energy went into an offline FF where you don't have to deal with people.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man. Well, MMORPGs were a big genre in my teens and I played a ton of foreign ones sooooo, in no order because I wouldn't remember it:

Guild Wars 1
Guild Wars 2
World of Warcraft
Knight Online
Silk Road Online
Rakion
Lineage 1
Lineage 2
Everquest 1
Everquest 2
Ultima Online
Neverwinter
Star Trek Online
Star Wars Galaxies
Star Wars The Old Republic
Final Fantasy XI
MapleStory 1
MapleStory 2
EVE Online
Blade & Soul
Rift
ArcheAge
TERA
RuneScape Old
RuneScape New
Lord of the Rings Online
Dungeons & Dragons Online
Black Desert
Aion
City of Heroes
Secret World
Dungeon Fighter Online
Granado Espada
Ragnarok Online
Face of Mankind

The ones I currently play now are:
The Elder Scrolls Online
Final Fantasy XIV

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
Graveyard:
Guild Wars 1&2
Black Desert
WoW

Recently brought back from the dead:
SWTOR

Active:
FFXIV
Elder Scrolls Online

note: Not counting MMOsI've played less than 10 hours worth. List would be too long lol

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
WoW
Guild Wars
Guild Wars 2
Aion (that main menu music oooooh yiiiiiis)
Champions Online
City of Heroes
Warhammer Online
Star Wars The Old Republic

I think that's about it?

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Too many to actually count, especially if I'd include all the crappy korean grindfests I spent way too much time playing. But of the ones I actually put some time into (in no particular order):

Guild Wars - Still easily the best MMO I've played, and nothing has come close to its great PVP and skill system

Vindictus - Out of all the instanced action RPGs I've played, this one was easily the best, and that's probably one of the reasons it's somehow still around despite being super dead playerbase wise.

Guild Wars 2 - A massive letdown compared to the original, but still a decent game I guess. Stopped after Path of Fire kind of sucked and because gearing for endgame was an unbelievably boring grind.

Dungeons & Dragons Online - I really liked how this was setup as a bunch of instances with some having actual puzzles and stuff, but it's a bit too dated to go back too.

Dungeon Fighter Online - Pretty fun, but also way too much grind.

Star Trek Online - The ship parts were pretty cool, but all of the story stuff seemed designed elusively for die-hard fans of the franchise, which I'm not.

Elder Scrolls Online - I bought this on sale and barely played it. I'll probably go back to it at some point, but between needing a sub to get the most out of it, the ugly visuals and the crappy performance, it's not really something I'm in a rush to get to.

Blade & Soul - I actually kind of liked this, although I can't even remember why because none of it was really all that great.

Runescape - Is there anyone who actually hasn't played it?

Destiny 2 - Left after Shadowkeep was a huge disappointment and it became clear that I'm 100% not the target audience of this game.

FFXIV - What I'm playing right now, and kind of the closest thing to Guild Wars in terms of being friendly to casual players and not demanding thousands of hours of grinding from its playerbase.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
If we limit it to still active:

WoW
Star Wars: The Old Republic
Tera
Aion
Guild Wars 2
The Elder Scrolls Online
Final Fantasy XI

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Until last week it was just FFXIV but I was just taking a break. Finished Heavensward and I'm on the Dragonsong War quest line on my way to Stormblood.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Everquest
Everquest 2
Everquest Online Adventures (lol awful)
Rift
Final Fantasy 11
Final Fantasy 14
Star Wars Galaxies
Star Wars: The Old Republic

Still play WoW and probably will until it shuts down or I die.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Every mid 2000s Korean F2P game that still exists. For ones I care about though:

Final Fantasy XIV
Guild Wars 2
Guild Wars 1
Elder Scrolls Online
Black Desert Online
Conquer Online
FlyFF
Runescape (Kind of cheating because I still have an active membership and log on once in a while)

BLASTEROID

Oct 25, 2017
In order of estimated time spent playing:

1. WoW
2. City of Heroes/Villains
3. Eve Online
4. Lineage 2
5. Everquest
6. Star Wars Old Republic
7. Rift
8. Guild Wars 2
9. Wildstar

Edit: Just realized this list is meant for MMOs that are still available to play... Lol. Funny how many people (including myself) got this wrong.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anarchy Online
Star Wars Galaxies
Guild Wars 1/2
City of Heroes
Warhammer Online
Wildstar
WoW Retail/ Classic
Final Fantasy 14

I would imagine my WoW time is orders of magnitude higher than all the other games combined. I don't think I want to know what my combined playtime on that game is.

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Edit: Just realized this list is meant for MMOs that are still available to play... Lol. Funny how many people (including myself) got this wrong.

I cheated by using this list. It shows what is active and what isn't.

Wildstar was the one I thought had the most promise and ended up being the most disappointed. Still surprised they totally shut it down.

Guild Wars - Still easily the best MMO I've played, and nothing has come close to its great PVP and skill system

GW1 was something special. GW2 just couldn't match it. Being able to string together a band of character alts to do solo runs was so much fun.

DarkShame3

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2019
I deleted all my characters from all the MMOs I ever played eventually, or I would have kept going back. It can be addicting for me, and sometimes I have to pull the plug entirely to keep from returning and getting invested again.

Barberetti

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just the ones I put a decent amount of time into:

Guild Wars 2
Lord of the Rings Online
Age of Conan
Star Trek Online

I log into LotRO once a month to pay the upkeep on my house, but I'm pretty sure I'll never play it (or any of the others) again. WoW would be at the top of that list but I deleted my characters years ago. I'm not an online only player anymore.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I have quite a few:

Star Wars: Galaxies - I really only started with this one towards the end (I think my first day playing was the first day of the NGE redesign, actually). Played on-and-off for the next few years, eventually levelled a pilot and flew a cool-ass modded X-Wing. Fell off not because the game died, but due to a lack of story and solo content.

WoW - Got in during the recent play-for-free promo, levelled a Ranger to 30-40 before the awful writing turned me away for good.

The Secret World - Bought off an Amazon sale (remember when Amazon had really good deals on digital PC games?) and just never really got around to playing it. Don't even know if my copy could be updated to the modern version.

The Elder Scrolls Online - Played beta and at launch; I just don't think MMO mechanics map all that well to Skyrim gameplay. I didn't particularly like the way crafting ties into gearing, either.

Star Trek: Online - Also played pre-release and post-release; I played this for a while and then dropped off due to the grind and cartoonish writing. I tried to go back recently but apparently my account either got hacked or didn't survive the transition when Cryptic got sold.

Quirah

Oct 26, 2017
So many of them that I can't even count since I am mainly a MMO gamer. But the paid ones are:

-Aion
-World of Warcraft
-Warhammer Online (RIP)
-Rift
-ArcheAge
-Final Fantasy XIV
-Guild Wars 1&2
-The Elder Scrolls Online
-Wildstar

Sakashima

Mar 28, 2018
WoW - started in Vanilla, played all the expansions on and off, on a break until closer to Shadowlands.
FFXIV - played for 1 month on PS4 during ARR, up to level 40 or so. I'd like to try it again from scratch on next-gen consoles.
Guild Wars 1 - feels like forever ago. I remember the class system was great. Never got around to trying GW2 for some reason.
Neverwinter - played a little on PC at release, and tried the PS4 version when it came out. Not bad, but forgettable.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I played some Star Trek Online for a little while. I got the lifetime thing, but I haven't touched it in years. That's about it. I don't find MMOs particularly interesting.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've played almost every MMO at some point, but I'm only returning to FFXIV, The Old Republic and Champions Online going forward.

I enjoy realizing character concepts more than anything else.