• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one?

• Doom Eternal

Votes: 177 10.9%
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons

Votes: 303 18.7%
  • Final Fantasy 7 remake

Votes: 534 33.0%
  • Resident Evil 3 remake

Votes: 56 3.5%
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Votes: 165 10.2%
  • Persona 5 Royal

Votes: 107 6.6%
  • Other

Votes: 275 17.0%

• Total voters

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Animal Crossing for now. I have my issues with it but I've put in over 200 hours into it and it's been a nice distraction from reality. Really enjoying Xenoblade DE too but I don't think I'd vote for that for GOTY. Haven't finished Doom Eternal but that might move up by the time I'm done with it.

I totally anticipate TLOU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima to be #1 and #2 for me after I play them though. Just not sure which one I'll like more yet.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Streets of Rage 4. And I'm also enjoying Trials of Mana a lot but it has problems

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 Royal and it's not even going to be close this year. Only played like half an hour of the original.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Final Fantasy VII Remake as of now, but I have my eye on the Last of Us, Ghost and Cyberpunk.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Twist my arm: reluctantly FF7R
Reality: more likely tlou2 will be it, at least I hope

Nov 21, 2017
USA
This year hasn't really had a lot for me thus far... Shovel Knight King of Cards? I know that came out end of 2019 but shoutout to Yacht Club. That was awesome!

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
FFVII Remake

Persona 5 Royal is absolutely brilliant too, they're pretty much neck and neck but VII Remake was a fantastic experience. Streets of Rage 4 is closely behind those, just for being so well crafted. Dunno if I'd count Xenoblade but it's up there.

New Horizons would be up there if it weren't for a few baffling user experience problems and poor pacing (I paid off my loan and completed the fossil collection faster than ever).

The only games I could see dethroning FFVII Remake for me in the next 6 months are Yakuza Like a Dragon, Tales or Arise, or something we haven't seen from next gen yet.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

Anime XCOM with VN storytelling & FFT job systems.

Sells itself as a car-building sim, but it's actually a 90's rural Finnish hillbilly sim. Incredibly deep sandbox world.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Kentucky Route Zero

Had my eye on it for a few years now, but was waiting for it to be complete. It delivered.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
The consensus will be TLOU P2 which is boring because it takes away from an actual debate at the end of the year.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont see any game taking it over Final Fantasy 7 Remake for me this year.

I haven't enjoyed a game like this in a while. Unless BotW 2 drops somehow or Cyberpunk blows me away, I think it'll be my overall GOTY.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Megamix, or maybe Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX

Both games are direct iterations on a formula that's been around for over a decade that's basically a direct step up from both of their predecessors. The result is the epitome of the series, giving me everything I ever wanted with both.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My initial response was gonna be like

"cmon dude the year just started wait u-"

oh fuck its june

FF7R

Jan 15, 2018
Half Life Alyx, it's everything I wanted from a new Half Life and also an incredible VR game.

Even though I'm sure it's going to be one of the best games of this gen, I'm not even sure TLoU Part 2 will surpass it.

Nov 1, 2017
Bug Fables, unless XenoblaDE counts. I liked it more than any Paper Mario game with its wonderful characters, gameplay, soundtrack and world.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Probably Maneater, nothing else this year has really grabbed my attention.

Nevermind I fucking forgot Half Life Alyx released this year, it's that 100%

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if people would be salty if Alyx won a bunch of GOTY awards at the end of the year because they couldn't play it and think it "doesn't count."

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I love Animal Crossing, but FFVII-R is just an incredible game that I keep thinking about. Definitely that!

edit: also hoping FFVII-R PS5 edition drops this year. I'm waiting on that before going through it a second time!

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You fucks keep making these early GOTY threads and you keep excluding Nioh 2. You will only provoke me if you continue down this path.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
The madmen at Square were able to deliver FF7R and they did not disapoint

Some people even believe that they surpassed expectations. I'm one of those.

But we still have Cyberpunk and TloU part 2

This year is just insane

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't played much from this year besides Ori, but even if I'd played everything, it's difficult to imagine anything else in that poll unseating it. It bettered Ori and the Blind Forest, which was one of my GOTYs of 2015.

SaltyDuck

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I guess Nioh 2 for me by default since that's the only 2020 game I've played so far, but that's probably going to change in a week or so