• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Currently, Doom Eternal... I bump down the difficulty if I just want to kill demons & chill.

OP
OP
Kawngi

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Some good ones in here, and some I wouldn't have thought of, thanks!

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
Call of duty Black ops Cold War Multiplayer. When engaging in combat there is no time to think about lesser parts of life.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Fighting games. The .vs series its just my way to go whenever i want to play something that makes me happy

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
It's definitely been Animal Crossing for me. Since the Covid-19 pandemic started I always find myself playing this for brief periods purely to destress and escape from my personal and work life

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
Journey was that game for me for a while, which is why it was nice it received a ps4 port. Just hopping in the there and looking for another little red dude to chirp at and travel with was a nice way to reset my mood. It's a shame the community died out (eventually). It's very difficult to find others to journey with now.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
One answer.

1.jpg

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Probably the first Goemon game (Legend of the Mystical Ninja) for the SNES. Others include Pop 'n' Twinbee, Ninja Warriors Again and Wild Guns.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Rollercoaster Tycoon Classic (or RCT 1 / II). Great sounds and music and brings back nostalgia from being at amusement/theme parks.

Rollercoaster-tycoon-classic-tips-and-tricks-4.jpg

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Recently Part time UFO on Switch by HAL Laboratory.
It has the happy go lucky attitude common in japanese games in the '80s and '90s.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
For a long time, it was Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. The original Gamecube version, with the bongos. Something about beating a pair of drums for an hour two was terrific stress relief, and the game has such incredible energy that I always came away from a play session feeling really good.

Old school first person shooters can be that way sometimes, too. No story to worry about, just running around blasting everything that moves.

Childhood games are, of course, probably the king in this regard. Donkey Kong Country 1, the SNES version of Aladdin, Yoshi's Island, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Super Mario 64, NiGHTS, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound... big comfort food vibes from those games.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Flying in VR. Best antidote to stress. The hum of the engines is basically forced fed ASMR.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Persona 4 is a great one for this. The mood and the vibes are great to relax.

Dragon Quest games are also pretty nice to run around , grind a bit. Dragon Quest Heroes 2 has both DQ and Musou for that.

Yakuza 0 with it's silliness is sometimes good, plus kicking the heck out of mooks as Kiryu is very satisfying.

Sometimes it can be a strategy game. Civ 5/6, Tropico 5/6 or EU4 can be relaxing on it's own.

Old school beat'm ups are good too like the above mentioned Streets of Rage 2.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
weirdly demons souls lately, failure/retry loop seem to put me in a sort of meditation state.
where before these game were mostly rage inducing.

its also perfect while listening so some podcasts, audiobooks etc.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Tried to use VA-11 Hall-A for this recently, but wasn't feeling it. May want to try something more flow-inducing like Tetris Effect (has relaxed modes).

Dec 6, 2017
US
Streets_of_Rage_4.png

Since it came out, it's that game I'll randomly click on when booting up my PS4 not knowing what to play. It's what I play for a quick 10 minute bout waiting for a food delivery, a phone call or whatever.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
1. Civilization (V or VI) - the ultimate example of this for me.

2. Ratchet and Clank (any of the main games)

3. Fire Emblem (PoR and RD)

4. Tales of Symphonia

5. Animal Crossing

6. Uncharted (any of them)

Statux

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Lately my mental health is not having a great time, because, well, the world is in da shit right now. So, let me introduce you to the magnificent world of mudrunning:

H2x1_NSwitch_SpintiresMudRunnerAmericanWilds_image1600w.jpg

Mudrunner: American Wilds (Switch edition) is my current gaming shelter. It has everything I'm looking for right now: wide open natural spaces, humming engines, smokey stacks and a sense of peace and tranquility. It is not an easy game by any means, but its absolute lack of time challenges, the slow pace of everything you have to do (from collecting wood to wander and unlock all the map) and the minimalistic sound design (almost no sound except ambient and engines revving) turn what it could be a frustating game in something truly special and relaxing.

Yep, it's really tricky to climb mountains and made it thru the muddy terrain with heavy load trucks, but after all, if you fail and your vehicle gets stuck in the river, all you have to do is get a 4x4 and take the big boi out of the mud and back on the road. No time deadline to fuck you over, just doing the job at your own pace.

I dunno folks, this game has made me wonder several times if I wouldn't be happier driving a rusty 4x4 thru some dirty woods instead of pursuing a career on filmmaking.

semaanator

Dec 3, 2017
Basically any old school Square RPG (especially FF 6, 7, 8, or 9, or Chrono Trigger, or Xenogears), or choose random Zelda game and be at peace. More recently, decided to finally give an MMO a shot for the first time in my 37 years on earth, which also gave me an opportunity to try FF XIV. It has been scratching that itch and was the perfect game for me to play during these times of COVID, and I don't anticipate stopping anytime soon. Also, the game that I believe could accomplish this for many at the moment is Dragon Quest XI. That game is like reading a classic snuggled in a warm blanket with hot cocoa. So. Dang. Cozy and warm.

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
Usually puzzle games like Tetris and Lumines, or rhythm games like Taiko no Tatsujin and Rhythm Heaven.

Or FIFA, but this one can be frustrating sometimes.

A recent one, funny enough, it's Bloodborne. The first time I played it was super tense, but now that I got the platinum and know what to expect from all the places, I like to just try a new build with a new unusual weapon, the combat is so good that just playing a little bit can help me feel better after a stressful day.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 5 online co-op right now. It's one of my favorite gaming experiences ever, so I play it on a new platform where I haven't beaten it already when I want a "comfort" game. I just join random people's games and help them out.

Apo

Oct 28, 2017
New Game + mode in Ratchet & Clank games. Having all those fun weapons maxed out.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Lately its been sandboxy skateboarding stuff, namely SkaterXL and Skate 3. I set the latter to easy tricks and can spend hours just moving around the city. Pair that with a podcast and its pure zen. I hope Skate 4 really expands on the scale of the world, 3 is a great size but I need more!

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I'm impressed people can relax with Stardew Valley. That like 30 minute day always stresses me out, I'm screaming from the morning to the night.

A 24 hour clock Stardew Valley is my dream game...

RDR2 open world, wandering and watching animals is my destressor. Next Gen Update PLEASE.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
World of Warcraft. It really is the perfect game for turning your brain off and doing something, which can certainly help me out.