• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 2, 2019
Any pokémon game, the whole series is relaxing for me
Igavanias, since when i want to relax i want easy games
Harvest Moon 64, that game is particularly cozy for me
Stardew Valley

Tethered Penguin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
risk of rain 2.

the sheer chaos of the final stages are so fun, literally serotonin

not my footage but a pretty good example how dramatic the game can get

Síriocaz

Oct 19, 2019
Well, for that matter, I'd definitely go with my favorite games, but mainly Pikmin 2. It's a game I know so we'll that I feel it's somehow part of me. I genuinely have an extraordinary time every time I play it, doesn't matter which level is it, there's no bad part or section for me in this game.

In recent years, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Breath of the Wild also have filled this spot. It was always fun running around or flying in a Skell across Mira. And Breath of the Wild, while I didn't like it a lot initially, it eventually sucked me in with its relaxing gameplay. It's a game I can play after months without touching and immediately feel like everything is recognizable again and great. It's one of the very few Switch games I frequently replay.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I find it almost meditative to play a few races of Mario Kart Online. It's simple, good fun, good for clearing your mind.

Dablado

Jan 1, 2019
Celeste.

Ironically, the difficult plattforming is relaxing to me.

And the mental health theme is feel-good? :D

Love the game though and it has a certain charm to it. I generally hate "trial and error" and not clearing things on the first try, except when it comes to good platformers with short checkpoints.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Well, I didn't know that until I caught myself playing Aria of Sorrow while listening to some night-time talk radio but :
Igavanias, since when i want to relax i want easy games
This, most definitely. It's so smooth, the game's flow is natural and uninterrupted. I thought RPGs would be more relaxing but I was definitely wrong. I would add more traditional platformers as well, such as Tales From Space : Attack Of The Mutant Blob, so cosy! Rayman Origins and Legends are great "I want to smile for a minute" games, but then I remember I suck at them and turn them off.

Also, SSX games. Any SSX games.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
The Witcher 3.
Wandering around the open world with Roach never gets old. And I still discover new small side quest even on my 3rd play through.

Oh, the sunset is always amazing.

Jun 2, 2019
Well, I didn't know that until I caught myself playing Aria of Sorrow while listening to some night-time talk radio but :

This, most definitely. It's so smooth, the game's flow is natural and uninterrupted.

i know right? Igavanias have this flow that make them so relaxing to play, kind of like making a repetitive task, but without being actually repetitive.

That said, out of all the Igavanias, both Aria and Dawn of sorrow have this comfy and intimate atmosphere that no other game in the series can replicate.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
if I want to just unwind, I'll happily sit there fishing and cooking in Monster Hunter. Otherwise, Streets of Rage 2 or Megaman 2 for the music combined with great gameplay.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Sometimes i'll just start up Borderlands 2 and play through the first 6 hours 🤷‍♂️
Much more laid back game then other shooters.

Bomaye

Jan 15, 2021
U.S.
Lately its been Hyrule Warriors. Its challenging enough to keep me engaged but not so much that I can't put on some music or talk with friends while I'm playing. No cutscenes (for the most part), addictive yet simple gameplay, and watching the rupee/level/weapon/KO numbers rise is so satisfying. Perfect for chilling.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
A few matches of Turf War in Splatoon 2 (or a bit of story/octo expansion), or a bit of Mistery Heroes in Overwatch.
Those can bother me during Splatfests or when I need 9 wins for a new event skin, but when I get in to chill, it's chill time.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Spider-Man PS4, have had depression for about 4 years and that game still helps in the worst moments, whenever I feel down I boot it up and just swing away my troubles for a bit

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
When I'm super down due to various reasons, I often see myself playing something where I can just turn off my head. A quick round of an arcade game, something with a (somewhat) chill OST for example (like Darius Gaiden). Or a game wher I can just lose myself in, like an RPG. I don't necessarily have a "go to" game, but when I'm down I just need something that isn't something where I have to think too much, something I can play from muscle memory. Grinding in a RPG can be just that. Or a musou game. Doing laps in a racing game helps me too. Advancing the plot in a narratively driven game is something I really struggle with when I'm going through a tough time, though. But when I can force myself to do so, it can do wonders (depending on the plot of the game, of course). I remember Final Fantasy X and Persona 3 being helpful to me. A more recent example would be the original Life is Strange.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
This past year, it's been the open world of Red Dead Redemption 2 (story mode because there's nothing fun or relaxing about online.)

The spectacular views, slow, deliberate animations and subtle environmental storytelling just make it a joy to wander around in that world and maybe do some hunting, fishing or messing with locals.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Soul Blazer
Link to the Past
Final Fantasy 7
Oblivion
Fallout 4
Minecraft

Just games I either know inside and out, or can do whatever I want in

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Then there's also...

3877cb7100f7841661267cce54a648ca.gif

Streets of Rage 2 when I just wanna turn my brain off, vibe to some great music, and beat up bad guys.
Is the original trilogy available on ps4/xbox?

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Spelunker. It's short so it's easy to just sit down and playthrough it in 10 minutes and since it's a lot of concentration and rote memorization it's easy to not have to think about anything else. Touhou games are similar but I usually suck at the later levels so it only works for awhile.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Dreams and Super Mario Maker 2 (and 1 at some point), there's always something new to experience with these two that gives you peace of mind

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Right now, the Spyro trilogy.

Collecting gems and platforming is incredibly chill.

That or blasting stormtroopers in Star Wars Battlefront II's coop mode.

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have one particular game like this, but rhythm games are the ultimate feel good. Just listen to some good tunes and crush some friends' scores.

PeterThePanda

Jun 10, 2020
Spain
Playing Borderlands 3 on Mayhem mode and hearing those "pings" while all these cool weapons just rain on the level is just orgasmic.No looter shooter can do it better than this

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Difficult games like Souls are great I find. It's nice to just be able to lose sight of everything going on in your life and place all your focus on the hurdle in front of you until you overcome it. I feel like playing more relaxing type games doesn't use enough of my brain, and when I haven't had a great day, they're not enough to distract me from my thoughts.

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
For me it's Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on N64. Something about the music, graphics, gameplay all come together to give me a good warm and fuzzy feeling that I come back to at least once a year. Love that game.

BronzeAshamedHagfish-small.gif

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Tetris Effect/Resogun. Switch off, enjoy the visuals, feel better