• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your favorite Konami franchise?

• Metal Gear

Votes: 251 40.2%
  • Castlevania

Votes: 172 27.6%
  • Contra

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • Gradius

Votes: 14 2.2%
  • Silent Hill

Votes: 66 10.6%
  • Suikoden

Votes: 61 9.8%
  • Other

Votes: 52 8.3%

• Total voters

MrBanballow

Not changing this tag
May 1, 2019
I'd probably have to go with Silent Hill. I'll also give a slight nod in Rumble Roses direction.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Tokimeki Memorial (+ Girl's Side)

Those games are masterpieces. There be some whacky shit in those games.

It's a dating sim / school life simulator with so much WEIRD, AMAZING STUFF crammed into them.
I hate/love all the minigames in them. The stupid petting-touchy-feely-aspect in the Girl's Side games ("skinship") requires more precision than most rhythm games I played. It's creepy, yet, fascinating. Like watching a train wreck. "Would you like to practice skinship with your underage kid neighbour?" (aka, I can see why they never localized them.)
They are criminally overlooked because none of them ever got localized.

You can fight bears by the way.
19-Post_12_image_19.png

They punch you with salmons.

If you romance the Yandere in Tokimeki Memorial 4, you will also have to take on this dude, straight from Silent Hill:
DJ5U0hXVAAAaVOA.jpg

Fvck, I love Tokimeki Memorial.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Metal Gear, but I've definitely enjoyed what shamefully little I've played from Castlevania (Symphony of the Night and Lords of Shadow) and Silent Hill (only 2), and I have a fondness for PES -- particularly 6 and the OP as shit Inter Milan team.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I voted for Gradius because it's probably the Parodius games I liked the most.

Konami was always a stamp of quality in the 8 and 16 bit days, but I never really was that in to a lot of their series, especially PSX era onwards. Enjoyed their SNES output - Castlevania 4, Goeman.

tokubek

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
This is so hard - I love all of them. I think I'd give it to Metal Gear just because of how batshit insane it gets.

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Mystical Ninja and I only played the 64 one which is one of my favorite games ever.

I haven't played lots of other Konami games, Castlevania 64, Dawn of Sorrow (loved it), Contra, ISS 64/98, a few PES titles multi only...

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Konami in the 8 and 16-bit era were probably the best game company. 32-bit era started to slide for me due to losing focus on the classic franchises.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
The Suikoden series was one hell of an entry into the RPG genre. Konami was making a lot of great games back then, but with Suikoden they showed that they can take a genre that they're basically unfamiliar with and deliver exceptional quality.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Probably Silent Hill, unless I'm forgetting one of their more niche IPs. Silent Hill at its best was peak survival-horror.

Shout out to Vandal Hearts though. I never played the sequel or the reboot with the infamously awful art style, but the first game is a stone-cold classic.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Voted Castlevania, the perfect mix of methodical action, atmosphere, and incredible soundtracks. Twinbee is another series I've grown quite fond of, lately. But truthfully I love all the franchises listed in the OP (though aside from 2 I haven't played the rest of SH)

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
The Suikoden series was one hell of an entry into the RPG genre. Konami was making a lot of great games back then, but with Suikoden they showed that they can take a genre that they're basically unfamiliar with and deliver exceptional quality.

Konami has had other RPGs before. Esper Dream (the second game is a hidden gem!), Lagrange Point, and Madara to name a few. Suikoden is the first to get released in English though.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That was super tough. I grew up on Castlevania and Contra, and love Metal Gear and Silent Hill, but I think at the end of the day, Castlevania still gets me super excited when I hear about any new entries in the series.

Bloodstained has been absolutely amazing when it comes to satisfying that CV metroidvania itch for me.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Beatmania

Been following it for all 20 years, and it's still going quite strong.
Loved the classic 5k games, Loved the the PS2 releases, and despite some trepidation during the post-Empress era with a lack of home releases, with access to to an up-to-date arcade as of recent, I'm kept way more than satisfied now.
Love their current cycle of near-annual major releases with consistent content additions, online modes, and engaging (if sometimes grindy) unlock systems.
And said content is, honestly, the best it's ever been.
They keep giving me a reason to drive down to Round1 and keep pumping credits in.

Close second would probably be their shmup cinematic universe (Gradius/Salamander/Parodius)

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Man. Konami didn't fuck around. Just banger franchise after franchise.

The only fucking it's doing now are their employees and the goodwill of the consumer :(

But on topic: I have a real soft spot for Contra and Castlevania but it has to be Metal Gear for me.

It elevated the medium, don't @ me

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
This is tough.

I'd say Castlevania, but if Bemani counted as a series as a whole.. It'd be that by a mile

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill because it was so different from the survival horror offerings at the time, I loved the story, and I think Akira Yamaoka's soundtrack for the first 4 games are legendary. Also, it was really the first game series to really scare me since it was disturbing creatures combined with psychological mindfuckery. Like a video game version of Jacob's Ladder or Hellraiser.

Finally, I had never really been upset about game cancellation or anything like that. But when they ripped Silent Hills out of our hands after that GOAT demo, I was heartbroken and began to feel like I was never going to see another entry in my favorite game series ever again.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I love suikoden and the IgaVanias, but MGS 1-3 might be the best trilogy in gaming. The attention to detail is still unmatched IMO.