• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your favorite Konami franchise?

• Metal Gear

Votes: 251 40.2%
  • Castlevania

Votes: 172 27.6%
  • Contra

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • Gradius

Votes: 14 2.2%
  • Silent Hill

Votes: 66 10.6%
  • Suikoden

Votes: 61 9.8%
  • Other

Votes: 52 8.3%

• Total voters

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is your favorite Komami franchise throughout the ages?

I'll make a poll, but I wont be able to include everything.

Does your opinion change when we go from 2d to 3d? How about SP vs MP?

Konami-2018-19-Results-01-Header-740x244.jpg

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's close between Silent Hill and Metal Gear. But SH edges it out because the gameplay is more to my liking. I always liked MGS despite the gameplay. The SH formula is really up my alley though. Jank and everything.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Silent Hill.

Konami wanted a Resident Evil clone, but thanks to a fairly loose creative leash on (at the time a very young) Keiichiro Toyama, what they got was a highly unique, legitimately unnerving horror masterpiece.

A few sequels would follow that would up the stakes in story-telling, art direction, and overall unsettling themes.
Sadly the series flew too close to the sun and, like seemingly all things Konami within the mid/late 2000s/early 2010s, it was left out to rot and eventually die.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Castlevania. It's been with me since my childhood. It's under a different name now but it's still here.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Castlevania but I have a suspicion it might be Silent Hill once I finally get around to playing 1-4. Those soundtracks are GOAT status.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
Metal Gear might be my favorite franchise in general.

Silent Hill is great though

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear, but its kind of cheating.

If you consider the games overall quality, their art, their soundtracks and the theme ... its kind of a giant fucking mystery as to why Castlevania isnt the most popular franchise of all time. They REALLY fucked that one up.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Suikoden. I like that the battle isn't necessarily good vs evil or saving the world. They're more political driven and a bit more complex. Plus I just love all the 108 character rooster.

Please bring it back Konami. And not that Tierkreis BS. Gimme a real #6

Oct 28, 2017
Silent Hill. Amazing art, music, atmosphere, and - in the case of 2 at least - truly excellent use of subtle storytelling. I still listen to Akira Yamaoka's soundtracks and imagine how special Silent Hills could have been.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear (Solid). It's one of my favorite videogame franchise of all time. I first played MGS1 back in PS1 and was blown away, and ever since I fell in love with the series (and Kojima's stuff).

Last edited:

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
MGS for sure, though I really like SH1 & SH3. Crazy and depressing realizing how many great IPs Konami is pretty much just sitting on now.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
despite its blunders, still Silent Hill

i even almost enjoyed Downpour for a hot second

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill because 1 and 2 brought the fear like no other games before them. Will never be topped as the scariest games I've ever played, and I love them for that.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I think Metal Gear and Castlevania are the only two historically Konami franchises I've played enough of to have an opinion, and I don't care much for either one outside of MGS3 which is one of the best games ever made. If we count Hudson Soft's franchises, then it'd be Bomberman with Bloody Roar at #2.

I don't know where Frogger factors into all this but I like that one too.

Bomberman's one of the formative games of my early video game-playing days. I really enjoyed the series up through Bomberman Generation. Loved the Nintendo 64 games, Generation, Max on the Game Boy, and whichever of the Super games I played. Also played a ton of Bomberman Fantasy Race on the PS1.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vandal Hearts, the first game is a seriously underrated SRPG, I would put it up there with the best in the genre. Second one was experimental and not as good but still an interesting game.

Silent Hill would be second for me, all the Team Silent games are excellent.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Other: Yu-Gi-Oh

Edit: Largely because of my decade-long affinity for the physical card game. There has been some GREAT digital adaptations.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear, easily.

Great story, fantastic and super memorable characters, immersive gameplay and settings, and incredible soundtracks.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Castlevania full stop hands down nothing comes close

So many amazing games, incredible design, fantastic music, just so much quality across so many decades

Rip Konami

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
For me there isn't a franchise with more heart and soul than Suikoden 1-3 period. I'll always love Castlevania, Contra, Silent Hill and Goemon a LOT but there's just nothing else like those first three games.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear. It's a pretty low bar though. Konami games were never really my thing. MGS1 and 2 were fun, but I hated 3, and never played any of the subsequent ones

Deleted member 49185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Castevania is my favorite franchise, but I feel bad for all those Metal Gear and Silent Hill fans too, because we may never get AAA experiences with any of our favorite Konami franchises again. :(

The reason I love Castevania is because of the gothic atmosphere. I love the action games like Rondo/Bloodlines and Igavania styles equally.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Castlevania's the most consistent for me. Sure every game isn't revolutionary or grounds breaking, but they're just well built good-ass games.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Gotta be Bomberman. Yeah, its a Konami series by way of them buying Hudson but theres been a few released under their belt so alls fair imo. Sunks loads of time into Mega Bomberman, Super Bomberman 2, and Saturn Bomberman back in the day. Mostly battling the really dumb CPUs who really, really hate the skull pickups lol.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
For some reason, Konami owns Bloody Roar and I spent a good part of my childhood playing the first game instead of Tekken or the Soul series, so that.