• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favorite Vanillaware game

• GrimGrimoire

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Odin Sphere/Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

Votes: 100 19.0%
  • Muramasa/Muramasa Rebirth

Votes: 114 21.6%
  • Dragon's Crown/Dragon's Crown Pro

Votes: 92 17.5%
  • 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

Votes: 210 39.8%

• Total voters

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Now that 13 Sentinels is out and praised everywhere, is it your favorite Vanillaware game or you still prefer some other?

787715-937039_20070329_015.jpg

cornnnssses-1210x544.jpg

172738-muramasa-field.jpg

JP_P2-01.jpg

13-Sentinels-Aegis-Rim.jpg

And additional question, what's the prettiest?

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
muramasa is a masterpiece. the striking atmosphere, the perfect blending of the graphics & the music, is both magical & unforgettable... oh, yeah - & the combat mechanics are both unique & enjoyable...

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
Odin Sphere is one of my favorite games of all time and my favorite Vanillaware game. I love all their games!

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
It's Grimgrim, follow really close by Odin Sphere.

Don't care much about their lastest output

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Dragon's Crown by far. Their combat system got perfected in there.

Muramasa is probably the prettiest, though.

D_K

Oct 28, 2017
France
It was Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (much better than the ps2 version)
Then 13 Sentinels happened

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
13 Sentinels and I'm not even done with it. The gameplay isn't quite up there with their previous titles but everything else makes up for it.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
13 Sentinels>Odin Sphere Leifthrasir>Muramasa Rebirth>GrimGrimoire>Grand Knight's History>Dragon's Crown

Leifthrasir and Rebirth are just flatout better than their original forms by a mile. Dragon's Crown was unbelievably boring to me and I love beat em ups. I just didn't like a single thing they did with it, didn't like how multiplayer worked at all, didn't enjoy the story or how they did it.

13 Sentinels is a top 5 game of the PS4 generation to me. Leifthrasir would be pretty far up there too.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Haven't played 13 Sentinels, so I have to pick Odin's Sphere from the rest.

Grim Grimoire for prettiest. I really enjoyed that one too.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
13 Sentinels definitely feels like it's the most complete package with no major flaws, but it didn't hook me in quite the same way as Odin Sphere. Odin Sphere gets dreadfully repetitive at points, but nevertheless I liked it more.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Muramasa feels like the most distilled version of their positive aspects. It still has typical bloat, but it didn't feel as bad as it does in their other games.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I imagine it'll be 13 Sentinels, but I haven't bought it yet (JP price even with a sale has remained brutal so far). I hope to get it this year.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I've played every single one of em and beat each except I'm only about 3 hours into 13 Sentinels.

My ranking would be
Odins Sphere > Muramasa > Dragons Crown > Grim Grimoire > 13 Sentinels.

The story in 13 Sentinels hasn't grabbed me at all yet and the battle field graphics look and feel terribly cheap. I would consider myself a vanilla ware fan but I'm grossly disappointed by it.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
From what I've played:
Muramasa -> Odin's Sphere -> 13 Sentinels (so far)

I'm still in the middle of 13 Sentinels and it has some exciting moments but then will immediately switch to something super dull and uninteresting. Hopefully my opinion changes by the end.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
I've played every single one of em and beat each except I'm only about 3 hours into 13 Sentinels.

My ranking would be

The story in 13 Sentinels hasn't grabbed me at all yet and the battle field graphics look and feel terribly cheap. I would consider myself a vanilla ware fan but I'm grossly disappointed by it.

the game blows wide open very soon as soon as the prologue ends.

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

My ranking would be

Keep going for a bit more, the story hasn't truly started yet, and the RTS part (I thought I would hate) gets very fun, but if you really don't like it just put on Casual.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
the game blows wide open very soon as soon as the prologue ends.
I hope so. That's what era led me to believe but I'm not there yet.

Keep going for a bit more, the story hasn't truly started yet, and the RTS part (I thought I would hate) gets very fun, but if you really don't like it just put on Casual.

I will. But honestly I need to be in the mood for it, it's felt like a chore to me so far. I like strat rpgs a lot, even if this ones kinda tower defense too, so at least the battle system is kinda intriguing. I just can't stand the way it looks. I think it's seriously terrible.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon's Crown. I love beat 'em ups anyway so this was a bit of a dream game.

I also liked 13 Sentinels. Overrated though it is, it still tells a decent story in an interesting way and it's elevated by the presentation.

Odin Sphere played like a dream, but was incredibly repetitive; you effectively play through the same game 5 times in a row. If not for Mercedes playing like a shoot 'em up almost, I probably would have given up at that point.

I could never get into Muramasa; the level design is just too weak and repetitve (a common issue with Vanillaware games). I tried it on Wii and Vita, but it never clicked.

Never played GrimGrimoire.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
I hope so. That's what era led me to believe but I'm not there yet.

I will. But honestly I need to be in the mood for it, it's felt like a chore to me so far. I like strat rpgs a lot, even if this ones kinda tower defense too, so at least the battle system is kinda intriguing. I just can't stand the way it looks. I think it's seriously terrible.

If you're 3 hrs in you're very close

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Dragon's Crown but 13 Sentinels is a strong contender for the throne. DC was a blast in both co-op and alone as a beat-em-up fan and the skill point system was just enough to not be overbearing for a modern one. I think the weekend I got it I ended up doing at least 3 playthroughs as different classes.

13 Sentinels has a really strong gimmick in its narrative structure but I began to feel like the gameplay was close to a hindrance by the end. It felt like I 'solved' how to cheese every encounter just so I could go back to reading.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Odin Sphere was my first Vanillaware game, and it is still my favorite. The gameplay systems, story, voice acting, music - it all did it for me. Leifthrasir took it and refined it further. Muramasa was actually disappointing to me at first, and it was overall much less memorable, but I really enjoyed the Vita re-release.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
13 Sentinels followed by Muramasa. Awesome story followed by absolutely beautiful visuals and a fun battle system. And food. Delicious looking food. Did I mention the delicious looking food?

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
13 Sentinels followed by Muramasa. Awesome story followed by absolutely beautiful visuals and a fun battle system. And food. Delicious looking food. Did I mention the delicious looking food?

Now that you mention, Vanillaware loves to make us hungry. I want Yakisoba Pan.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
13 Sentinels.

The story and the way it successfully handles 13 protagonists is masterful.

Drwu

Aug 23, 2018
Dragon's crown for gameplay. 13 sentinels for story. I really wish the strategy sections were better in 13 sentinels. They aren't awful by any means but just kinda bland

Klart

Jan 23, 2019
Dragon's Crown. I just really like beat'm ups and this one is a small masterpiece.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
In terms of play time Dragon's Crown (400hrs plus), in terms of fun Odin Sphere Lei.

Speak of which.... Vanillaware please go back and make those 2D action games again. ;(

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Just starting 13 Sentinels this Sunday but its good so far. I like the combat as well but I also love stuff like Front Mission so its right up my alley.

That said it might be Dragon's Crown. I love me some beat em ups.

HitMissYeah

Oct 30, 2017
For me it is Odin Sphere, I loved it already back on PS2 and what they did with the remaster is absolutly stunning. Muramasa deserves the very same treatment.