• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy VIII, Vagrant Story... what's your favorite timed button press mechanic in an RPG?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Costume Quest. I played it for the first time this Halloween, and didn't even know it had this mechanic for fights.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
Pokémon R/B/Y. Press and hold to have a better chance at catching a Pokémon.

It's real to me 😭

Ok, Paper Mario

Oct 25, 2017
Has to be Vagrant Story, the tension as you wait for the Impact Guard timing with 0HP is something else. "Every death is your fault" has never been more true.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
The best one is the Judgment ring from the Shadow Hearts series. They did so many interesting things with it... honestly really miss that system. It was brilliant.

Oct 27, 2017
Nailing the timing in Lost Odyssey felt great, especially when they would expand on it with better rings that had extra effects and a bigger critical region.

Mario & Luigi had a huge variety of timed attacks that let you attack almost indefinitely as long as you timed it right.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Legend+of+Dragoon3.jpg

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Not a huge fan of turn-based games, so I like the Mario RPG games' attempts at making combat more interactive.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Playing this game 'Ikenfell' right now and the entirety of the games turn based combats offense and defense is based on timed button presses; I like it.