• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The VCR thread got me thinking about retro tech. There are many subcultures of retro tech, from gaming (both console and PC), to music (casettes are making a comeback)

My fav that I still use are CRTs. I have a Sony Trinitron that I have connected some retro consoles and a Wii, with a collection of VC games. Even though we have nice upscaling options and cool filters, playing on a real CRT, like the ones I grew up with, really hits the spot for me. I also say this as someone with with a 4k set and modern consoles. It's not either/or.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Mechanical watch.

20210125_201703_by_edmonddantes9285_decxnag-pre.jpg

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I actuslly still like to listen to CDs in the car. They're usually about the right length, and I'm usually hankering for specific bands or sounds, so popping in a CD beats scrolling through a thousand individual tracks or spending forever making playlists.
...I recognize this is stupid of me, but I'm okay with that.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I gotta shout out the wheel. That invention was tight.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I didn't have room for my widescreen FW900 CRT computer monitor and sold it like 7 years back, I miss it. I'd still have it if I had the room for it. At the time I sold it, I didn't even have room for a gaming rig at all. I'd also have a CRT TV for retro console games if I had the space.

It'd probably be old console controllers for me - I prefer legit OEM controllers when at all possible, unless I'm playing something it doesn't matter than an RPG. I hate playing games for systems on different controllers. The consoles themselves are the new Analogue FPGA gadgets, but I prefer authentic wired controllers for anything twitchy.

So, OEM wired NES controllers are my oldest still actually in use gadget.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I still use a CRT for older games.

I also drive a car from the 80s if that counts as tech.

I'm sure there's others that I don't consider retro.

Oct 27, 2017
An iPad 2. Still in use for displaying building instructions when I'm building Lego.
The rest of its time it's serving as a mouse mat

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Polaroid Cameras. They make these new ones that uses a new type of film. They just fun for parties or events.

Polaroid-Now-banner-w-logo.jpg

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I play everything on CRTs still for the most part.

We moved past them well before their time.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Sony CRT for retro gaming I suppose, and of course the retro consoles and games themselves.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Man.... pretty much nothing. I'm trying to think of something. I'm not much of a collector or really keep a lot of things, and like I have stuff that's old -- Kitchaid Mixer -- but those are all still like "the best common version" of that common thing. I don't have any smart stuff in my kitchen, all dumb appliances, so maybe those, but I figure most people have dumb appliances still.

My oil burner in my basement is fucking old and needs to be replaced within the next 2-3 years. Wouldn't call it retro, just shitty.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Just prototyped my raspberry pi model b rev 1.2 (it's the first gen one with 512mb ram rather than 256mb) circa 2012 into a digital picture frame that's going to sit on my desk... Takes photos from a certain folder on my Google drive and have nice transitions between photos etc...

Just looking to get a 10inch IPS display and build it into a nice frame and it's all good.

This raspberry pi has been all sorts of things over the years... Love it despite its age and low horsepower..

Oct 29, 2017
Mechanical watches are nifty, I've got a couple.
My car also has a cd player. Part of me wants to drop in a Bluetooth audio system but it's been kinda fun collecting albums.
All my vehicles are manual transmission too, if that counts.