• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
This is not a troll thread.

I was gonna make a thread about this joke Game Informer article

https://www.gameinformer.com/goku/2018/12/20/game-informers-2018-goku-of-the-year-award

But then I figured this question was better.

So my guy has been in games for 30 years. NES, SNES, GBA, PS2 yadadada

But who did the definitive video game Goku? In terms of design, being able to adapt him, moveset, or portraying him in an original story.

As much as I want to give up to DBZF for their DLC regular Goku

maxresdefault.jpg

I think I have to say weirdly enough, Legacy of Goku II Goku is my definitive video game Goku. That is a weird sentence. That's just the video game Goku I grew up on even if he was the last character unlocked.

4_dragon_ball_z_the_legacy_of_goku_2.jpg

At least until we get him (proper) in Smash.

Blackquill

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the portrayal of Goku in Advanced Adventure since we don't see so many Kid Goku these days. Animations were cool

giphy.gif

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
A701659070378847FC73864BDD81CAF6594D4DBE

Budokai 3.

The best he's ever looked in a game when it released, fun as fuck to play and Dragon Universe does a good job with his story in the four main sagas.

The cool thing about Dragon Universe is that while the story is the same as usual the first time around, there are certain key moments that can turn out differently when you replay it. Like Goku's first fight with Freiza can be against Cooler instead.

Oct 27, 2017
Smash. Sakurai went the extra mile with Goku. All forms, all techniques, even non-canon incarnations.

This post is from 2020, by the way.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Origins nailed the art style and tone of the original manga, even if it looks like crap these days.

latest

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Ssj Goku in fighterZ is underrated

He's such a great combination of everything Goku post Frieza sama

you got the teleports, the beams, the Ssj3 super!

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely FighterZ. After that, BT3, which had every Goku from every era with all of his moves intact.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

Budokai 3.

The best he's ever looked in a game when it released, fun as fuck to play and Dragon Universe does a good job with his story in the four main sagas.

The cool thing about Dragon Universe is that while the story is the same as usual the first time around, there are certain key moments that can turn out differently when you replay it. Like Goku's first fight with Freiza can be against Cooler instead.

As much as I love what DBZ Fighter Z has done to the formula, I will always find Budokai 3 and Burst Limit to be some of the funniest DBZ games I've ever played. Playing those against my brothers and friends were epic!!!!

Dragon Universe was a fun way to move around the map in the Budokai 3. There wasn't much too it but it was fun to take control of the gang and fly from fight to fight.

However Burst Limit not only had beautiful visuals it, it continued Dimps combat system and took it even further. It just needed a sequel!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going with Tenkaichi 3's SS1 Goku, because they actually had both the ripped outfit with the shirt, AND even left out the detailing lines on his hair so it'd look closer to the show. The other versions of him in Tenkaichi 3 when he transforms don't have that, just that version and afaik no other game has done a different hairstyle for him just because of his initial transformation on Namek which is so cool.

images

maxresdefault.jpg

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
I have always loved DBZ: Super Saiya Densetsu (Bandai, 1992) for the SNES. It is an RPG adaptation of the Freeza saga. Even if you don´t use him for long periods, Goku starts with a Battle Power of 416, goes through training and combats mostly in line with those seen in the base material and eventually evolves into the legendary SSJ (with a BP of 4.999.999). Most of his techniques are well represented.

From an aestethic standpoint, SSJ Goku from DBZ: Bu Yu Retsuden (Bandai, 1994, for the Mega Drive):

WFceEZJ.jpg

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love DBFZ's Saiyan Arc Goku I'll have to go with Burst Limit. I really wish that game had a sequel so we could have gotten the Buu saga but sadly we never did.

This trailer still makes me tear up everytime I hear Goku screen, damn it all we deserved a sequel.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Every time I look at Monkey from Enslaved I think of the interview Alex Garland did for Edge Magazine

I guess if I were to make a criticism it would relate to character and consistency. Making sure characters are true to themselves, and true to some kind of larger truth, which relates to the recipients of the narrative. That is to say, the player. Us. For example, I think the first serious discussion we had about the narrative was on the very first day that I, Tameem and the level designers all sat down together. We got to a section where Monkey was walking down a walkway, and he sees an escaping slave trying to pull himself up to the walkway. And instead of helping the guy up, Monkey kicked him in the face and sent him to his death. They thought that projected the idea that Monkey was a badass. Whereas, to me, it projected the idea that Monkey was a bit of a cunt.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
As much as I love what DBZ Fighter Z has done to the formula, I will always find Budokai 3 and Burst Limit to be some of the funniest DBZ games I've ever played. Playing those against my brothers and friends were epic!!!!

Dragon Universe was a fun way to move around the map in the Budokai 3. There wasn't much too it but it was fun to take control of the gang and fly from fight to fight.

However Burst Limit not only had beautiful visuals it, it continued Dimps combat system and took it even further. It just needed a sequel!!!

maxresdefault.jpg
That game would've been perfect if they didn't cut into the action every 5 seconds so Krillin could kick your enemy in the back of the head.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going with Tenkaichi 3's SS1 Goku, because they actually had both the ripped outfit with the shirt, AND even left out the detailing lines on his hair so it'd look closer to the show. The other versions of him in Tenkaichi 3 when he transforms don't have that, just that version and afaik no other game has done a different hairstyle for him just because of his initial transformation on Namek which is so cool.

images

maxresdefault.jpg
This is the right answer. This exact detail made me lose my mind when Metero came out. He was my favorite character in the game for this reason alone.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Probably Budokai 3, just because I think those games still look really nice, and his transformations aren't listed as different characters (which always pisses me off).

The artstyle of the original Budokai is also weirdly great:

maxresdefault.jpg

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017

images

maxresdefault.jpg

My man. I LOVED that they included that because I loved how the hair looked during that and the Mecha Freiza/Goku & Turnks 10 second spar.

Hyper Dimension Goku.
SSJ2, Genki Dama and SSJ3 transformation when you use the special move (like Fighterz).

755062496b30a7f9b0ce7b439329f93a.gif
2681eb22a4e9cb4cfb338c455408286f.gif

I also love anytime the games give the proper lighting effect/spiker hair effect to SSJ2. Even the show forgets to that a lot of the time.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goku in Attack of the Saiyans was so fucking hype. Incredible animation in that game
ovis896.gif

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love DBFZ's Saiyan Arc Goku I'll have to go with Burst Limit. I really wish that game had a sequel so we could have gotten the Buu saga but sadly we never did.

This trailer still makes me tear up everytime I hear Goku screen, damn it all we deserved a sequel.

It did. Nobody played it and we never saw 2D(-ish) DB again until Fighterz.

153105-DragonBall_Z_-_Infinite_World_(Europe)_(En,Fr,De,Es,It)-1.jpg

Infinite World combined and rebalanced(-ish) the gameplay systems of Budokai, Shin Budokai, and Burst Limit into a single cohesive and refined system.

VoidPlot

Nov 1, 2017
Most def it has to be hands down budokai 3 and burst limit. Budokai had a cool case cover also. budokai 3 was AMAZING to play. Also changing forms during fights was fun and also as combo extenders lol that game was deep with infinite's !

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
2389683-wayfarersclothes.png

No wait.

6f67b2277a9db7bf0cea048df6ad0949.png

No wait.

92ce703d9a4d558cbbe4a670fdc8fd6d.jpg

Aw yeah.

Considering the opposite happens in DQ threads, I'm happy to see this

I'd add

Kenshin_DQ_Hero.png

But seriously, Budokai 3 was the first and pretty much only DBZ game I sunk the most time into, so I'm going to say that one.

Edit:

Budokai 3.

Yep, this was really cool.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
It did. Nobody played it and we never saw 2D(-ish) DB again until Fighterz.

153105-DragonBall_Z_-_Infinite_World_(Europe)_(En,Fr,De,Es,It)-1.jpg

Infinite World combined and rebalanced(-ish) the gameplay systems of Budokai, Shin Budokai, and Burst Limit into a single cohesive and refined system.
wouldn't really call it a sequel to Burst Limit. Especially on PS2 with Budokai assets. It also didn't have the battle "events" which was in Burst Limit