• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 5, 2018
I'll echo the Hades love since that game's OST is indeed excellent. I will however only post one song thru this link since this is the "Credits" Song. So don't click if you don't want to get spoiled but after listening to all of Hades' great music, its like somehow they saved the best song for last.

For games that are flying under the radar for best music, let me drop a few amazing songs from some of my favorite games of the year. Cook, Serve, Delicious 3?! Composed by Jonathon Geer (of Owlboy fame and for the previous CSD OST's) and he nailed the soundtrack with some nice tunes to listen to in the early parts of the level. But then when you are reaching the final stop all the sudden the music gets more intense and fast paced to match the intensity of the final stop. Plus some of these songs use Cyphered Spanish in the lyrics which is pretty neat. Its a game where you'll hear the 45 tracks of music a good amount, but I never got tired of these tracks:

And the next game is Them's Fightin' Herds (Composed by Stuart Ferguson and Whitetail). A fighting game starring ungulate animals that was in Early Access back in 2018 but reached its 1.0 state in April this year. One of the coolest things about this game is that when you are fighting the music changes dynamically based on which character is winning the fight. So say you are in a mythical woodland area fighting but the combatant who's winning the fight is a brave calf trying to protect her prairie. The music then gets a distinct southern rock cover. However much of that music has been out since 2018 so my post is gonna have the catchy and slappin' character themes that came out in 2020:

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
It's got to be Final Fantasy 7 Remake.
One of my favorite soundtracks ins the original, and it's been taken to an even higher level. Amazing

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Just receives this in an email from Bandcamp, some great overlooked indie soundtracks on here. Obviously relatively few big titles as the OST has to be available on Bandcamp to be included but all very interesting

daily.bandcamp.com

The Best Video Game Music of 2020

Counting down the best high scores.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Kind of a toss-up between Final Fantasy VII Remake and Paper Mario: The Origami King. Probably would give the edge to Origami King slightly.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
FFVIIR brought me back to my childhood in a way, only more rad this time around.

Honorable mention to Sackboy: A Big Adventure.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm cheating but Xenoblade Chronicles DE lol.

Also Ghost of Tsushima, Streets of Rage 4, Hades, and Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity get my honorable mentions.

No I haven't played FF7R yet, waiting for the PC release in April.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Ghost of Tsushima for me.

Hades is a close #2 though, especially for this track:

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
It's definitely Final Fantasy VII Remake for me this year, so many good tracks and I see a lot of other people actually shared them so I'll hold off from doing so as well. Other notable soundtracks in gaming this year?

2. Ori and the Will of the Wisps​
3. The Last of Us Part II​
4. Ghost of Tsushima​
5. Assassin's Creed Valhalla​

And while it's a 2019 game I'd be remiss not to mention Death Stranding. I finished that game in January and heard BB's theme and... man that's good.

My favorite track this year, though? Persona 5 Royal end credits. Spoilers if the credit music is your thing:

I thought With the Stars and Us was my jam, the original end credits, so when the credits started and it wasn't the same song I was bummed. But as Our Light swelled it just resonated so much. It's so damn powerful and left me more emotional than I expected. Definitely my favorite piece of music from video games this year.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
VIIR soundtrack is the one for me, followed by Paradise Killer and Streets of Rage 4.

VIIR has quite a few new compositions and so many arrangements give the tracks new life, so I don't think it's cheating to nominate it.

SOR4 has a tough legacy to follow and really stepped up to the plate musically, great work from Olivier Deriviere! And Paradise Killer's was so perfectly cohesive, a great blend of different styles.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Game that actually came out this year:
FF7 Remake

Game I played/finished this year:
Katana Zero
Kind Words

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
Without a doubt it's Will of the Wisps for me:

Mora the Spider hit me hard while playing. At that point in the game you're having to race and move so fast through the level, and then the music is changing throughout and it truly feels like your running for your life. The game has empowered you with everything so that it feels natural, so fast... and you're juggling your fingers trying to keep moving and fighting and...

And then the music changes again, to the 4 minute mark in the official song, when you stop running for the big final battle and I just remember fighting ang being very emotional about the whole thing because of the music. It's sad. It's epic in its scale. It calls back to the Ori melody in such a tragic way. It was an experience I don't usually have in video games, and the music was the primary factor in it.

Coker has done amazing work with the Ori soundtracks.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
It's a tie between FFVIIR and Miles Morales. Astro's Playroom also gets some notice from me. I won't have Cyberpunk until after Christmas, but I have to assume the OST for that is pretty awesome too.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doom Eternal, especially the ancient gods dlc
Hades was great

most disappointing:
FF7 remake music was worse than the original imo (just like the game)

Overall kind of a mediocre music year

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Hades has already been discussed, but Haven came in late in the game with some good ass good vibes electronic pieces. Game is kinda alright, but the music fits all the gliding you do.

wolfshirt

Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles
13 Sentinels
The battle music is so impressive-- so epic that just thinking about it gives me nerd chills. Crunchy synths and aggressive bass drops dance with classical string arrangements reminiscent of the JRPGs of yesteryear. The resultant compositions are a modern masterpiece and the best that Japan has to offer.

runner up
is Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, but only if you mute the cursed voice acting.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
The only 2020 games I've played so far are FF7R, Granblue Fantasy Versus, Nioh 2, and Hades, all of which have great soundtracks.

Nioh 2's soundtrack in particular is very strong.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
ff7r is really strong, and has the prestige
but ghost of tsushima's main theme is wonderful, the build up to the climax is just orgasmic

genshin impact has a few that's good as well but my top 2 is definitely ff7r and ghost
ghost and genshin not getting nominated for best score and music is wrong imo

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
It's really hard for me to pick because I haven't gotten into the weeds of certain game soundtracks like I did last year.

I want to say FF7 obviously, but then there is Hades (Supergiant is always phenomenal there, though) and also Mad Rat Dead.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Just immaculate and the way it combines seamlessly with the visuals is really unrivaled.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017

Tenderfoot Tactics OST by Michael Bell

Also did Eidolon, Viridi, and the rest of the IceWaterGames studio's stuff.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
FFVIIR was my biggest disappointment this year, but it absolutely has the best soundtrack. So many tracks surpass the originals and it's all so high quality

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
It's gonna be Doom Eternal for me, unless we can include older games that I played this year for the first time, in which case it goes to House in Fata Morgana.