• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your favorite among this random assortment of games?

• Broken Age

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • Shovel Knight

Votes: 86 15.7%
  • Hollow Knight

Votes: 175 31.9%
  • Undertale

Votes: 78 14.2%
  • Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Votes: 87 15.8%
  • Hyper Light Drifter

Votes: 23 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 92 16.8%

• Total voters

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There has been all sorts of projects on Kickstarter ever since Double Fine blew the doors open back in 2012 with Double Fine Adventure (i.e. Broken Age). Some grown into absolute phenomenons like Undertale. So what's your favorite or favorites so far? You don't have to have actually backed the project on KS to choose.

I think for me it's hard to pick anything other than Hollow Knight, the little metroidvania that could. Somehow HK came out of nowhere and cemented itself as being on par with absolute paragons of the genre like Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night. Actually that good, for me anyway!

capsule_616x353.jpg

Shoutout to Shovel Knight for the absurd amount of additional content they have been releasing throughout the years. As an original backer it feels like straight-up robbery lol. They've gone above and beyond what they promised, maybe even to their own detriment.

maxresdefault-1.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Shovel Knight, I think. It's the one that best approximated what the developers promised it to be.

A lot of the other kickstarters I've given money to have fallen short of what I hoped they would be. Bloodstained isn't bad, but it's ugly and janky in a way that Shovel Knight very much is not.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Undertale probably. Shovel Knight is in second place for me.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Hyper Light Drifter.

(I am soon starting Hollow Knight so things might change (but good luck))

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Shovel Knight is like... man, WAY too much content. And all of it really good, too - some campaigns better than others, but as a package it's gotta be one of the best platformers of the past 10 years. Can't wait for their next project.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Shovel Knight continuously blew me away with each content update. Thought I would have like a 30 hour experience by the time all the content released but ended up having well over 60 hours put into the game.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I didn't know Undertale was a kickstarted game. I love hollow knight and shovel knight, but undertale is the only one of those three I completed and couldn't sleep until I did.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Hollow Knight. Shovel Knight would be second.

Fingers crossed that Eiyuden Chronicle impresses me more than them.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Backers for Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight were rewarded handsomely. Four free expansions for Shovel Knight and all Hollow Knight backers are receiving Silksong for free. Yacht Club Games and Team Cherry deserve all their success.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As they say, it's a fucking literal embarrassment of riches to choose from

FTL
Battletech
Hyper Light Drifter
Hollow Knight
Shovel Knight
Divinity Original Sin 2
Outer Wilds
Wasteland 2
Pillars of Eternity
PoE 2: Deadfire
Darkest Dungeons
For the King
Undertale
Starmancer * (demo only atm)
Iron Harvest
Prey for the Gods
Friday the 13th The Game
Cross Code

Hyper Light Drifter, Darkest Dungeons, Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight, DOS2, FTL, and Outer Wilds all have my vote. I'll never choose!!

Last edited:

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Pillars of Eternity followed closely by Hollow Knight and Divinity: Original Sin. Kickstarter games in general killed it for a few years there.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
For me it's Grim Dawn. ARPG that has perfect mix of accessibility, depth and narrative without anything feeling too simple or overwhelming.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
I can't decide between FTL and the Pillars of Eternity games. Some really fantastic games came out of Kickstarter.

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
h2x1_nswitchds_crosscc5k5l.jpg

I only got to play it with the console release though. Didn't really think I would experience a game like this ever again.

Of those I actually backed it's Hollow Knight easily.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Shovel Knight turned out so well, and it kept on giving with the extra campaigns.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Both Divinity: Original Sin by far.

I gues they would be followed by FTL, Darkest Dungeons and Battletech.

If we include non-video games, Gloomhaven destroys them all.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
That's a really good list of games!

I struggle to vote against Bloodstained, though. It's so good.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Bloodstained probably is my favorite as I knew exactly what we were getting and that's exactly what they delivered.

I didn't help kickstart HLD but if I had, it would be my most surprisingly awesome one.

Worst experience was Yooka.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Pathfinder Kingmaker was a great surprise and out of all the CRPG kickstarters it was the best one