• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Plasma Sword: Nightmare of Bilstien/Star Gladiator 2 for the Dreamcast. My favorite 3D weapon fighter not named Soul Calibur. Makes me wish Capcom gave it another shot.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Plasma Sword: Nightmare of Bilstien/Star Gladiator 2 for the Dreamcast. My favorite 3D weapon fighter not named Soul Calibur. Makes me wish Capcom gave it another shot.

It's crazy the amount of characters Capcom has at their disposal yet we rarely see. Plasma Sword is full of them, and we only ever get to see June or Hayato if we're lucky.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eternal Fighter Zero. Super solid fighter with characters from Key/Visual Arts visual novels. Is there any way to play it on Win10?

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
Not that obscure, but unpopular enough that I feel it is worthy of the thread. My favourite fighting game of all time in terms of gameplay is absolutely without question Divekick.

Divekick dying so quickly was so painful. I finally find a fighting game that clicks for me and nobody fucking plays it. Fuck sake.
Same here. Serious fighting game fans pass it over for simplicity, and casuals somehow weren't interested. The way it boils down fighting games into positioning and kills is great. And for all the assumed simplicity, I don't think I ever hit a skill ceiling. I never won a game online.

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
I guess you can't call anything Street Fighter a hidden gem but Street Fighter Ex Plus Alpha was my jam, as well as Capcom Fighting Jam.
But I don't really see many people acknowledging those games, regardless of being Street Fighter games.

The Touhou fighters are super nice as well, particularly Hisoutensoku.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
I picked up Plasma Sword on Dreamcast because I had never heard of it. I ended up thinking it was pretty rad.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rakuga Kids is pure love and style

Sonic Battle is also a pretty underated sonic spinoff that is a very unique fighter

Came in to mention these exact two, ha.
The controls for Rakuga Kids are really simple and enjoyable for me. I feel like every character's moves are just a couple of variations on down-foward-punch combination and such. Not hard to figure out on the spot. It's just too bad the loading times are rough.
I played a load of Sonic Battle too. Customizing your Emerl was great, altho that one rare card for every fighter that made your character do an instant-kill Fist of the North Star combo was really cheap. Man, they should make some sort of sequel to this. There's plenty of Sonic friends for the roster!
Rabbit on Sega Saturn. One of, if not the most bizarre fighting game I've ever played.

Oh, I saw clips of this online before, but I didn't know what it was beyond people fighting with goofy animal stands. I really want to give this a whirl sometimes.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017

Was it actually any good? I played it a few back in the day, but can't remember if it had more to its name than "OMG, they made a Fate fighting game? AND IT'S FANMADE?!". Later came the official Fate: Unlimited Code, and I remember that more, because I had a Fate fanboy friend who got into it, especially the PSP version.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
Was it good? Idk but I used to love the fan-made Avengers vs X-Men fighting game made in the MUGEN engine.

Also yeah Eternal Champions CD

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
Auska 120%, This game was pretty fun too!

I second Asuka 120% BURNING Fest! Admittedly, a lot of this is nostalgia talking, but it was still a fun fighting game, with a sort of proto-Rival Schools setting. I was always disappointed that Konami didn't riff on the concept and make a Tokimeki Memorial fighting game - I would have played the absolute hell out of that.

My favorite Asuka 120% moment was when a pal and I were both playing the same character - Asuka, the chemistry student - and we both managed to activate the same 120% super move simultaneously, which left us yelling "240%!" at the top of our lungs and basically freaking out and partying. It was hysterical. Said pal went on to write the only FAQ for Asuka 120% that I'm aware of.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Some great choices in here. Gotta echo Rakuga Kids. On a console that really didn't have any defining fighting games (in a golden era for the genre), Rakuga Kids shines. If you have an N64 around, get it.

Easier is Waku Waku 7. You can get it on all modern platforms via the NEOGEO Arcade Archives and it's a gem. I've got it on Switch but I'm almost sure it's on Xbox, PS4 and Steam too.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I was a big fan of the Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 & 4 games on the GC that I imported and played with friends at the height of Naruto.

Deleted member 38361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Critical Blow on the PlayStation; never made it out of the States. Was a fan because the artist Ryoji Minagawa who did one my favorite mangas in the 90s "Spriggen" made the designs for the characters in this game. Really have a great time with this game til this day.

P.S. It's nice to see my favorite two button fighter Eretzvaju/Evil Zone getting some mentions.

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
There's so many! Outta my head, here's a few I like on various consoles.

Urban Reign (PS2) - Like one of the the best 3D brawlers ever by the Tekken Team.....highly underrated. Lots of characters, fun and simple fighting with a bit of depth in combos if you go deeper, team up moves, up to 4 players!
1LNOhaj.gif

Gotcha Force (GCN) - An arena fighter by Capcom where you use toy robots to battle. Up to 4 players, LOTS of playable robots(around 100 IIRC) with various fighting/play styles. Very cartoony in it's presentation but very fun to play. Super expensive nowadays.....I f'in regret selling my copy years ago.
o8LkZuX.gif

Tech Romancer (Dreamcast) - A 3D arena fighter by Capcom where you play as huge robots based on various anime. Simple and flashy combat. Capcom has so much great IPs but never seem to want to revive them....
s5L2Bg5.png

Gundam: Battle Assault 2 - Very fun 2D Gundam fighter with Gundams from various series from the original to G and Wing, etc.
pDpqMnh.png

Fighter's Destiny 1 and 2 (N64) - Super unique fighter that uses a points system to win instead of a life bar. Very very underrated.
zfNa8WS.png

Ninja Master's (NeoGeo) - You are able to switch between hand to hand combat or weapon mid combo and it's a pretty dope and solid 2D fighter also.
NUHYY8R.png

Slap City (Steam) - A very fun Smash like game that has a bunch of ridiculous yet hilarious characters. Despite it's visuals, it's one of the best Smash like games imo.
kLvwwNH.jpg

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Gotcha Force (GCN) - An arena fighter by Capcom where you use toy robots to battle. Up to 4 players, LOTS of playable robots(around 100 IIRC) with various fighting/play styles. Very cartoony in it's presentation but very fun to play. Super expensive nowadays.....I f'in regret selling my copy years ago.
o8LkZuX.gif
Wow that definitely is the Gundam Vs team.

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone's in here saying Waku Waku 7, and they're 100% correct

FP4YY1G.jpg

This roster was juuuuuuuuust right

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Zero Divide

top_001.jpg

I tried this recently for the first time. Not only was I shocked how well put together this fighter is, but also that the cast is freaking robots! It's a pretty competent fighter that launched on PS1 in the first game and got a sequel as well for some reason without ever really lighting the world on fire. The characters are a bit hodge podge and hard to make out until you play it though. Also a cool feature was the robots taking damage on their armor.

If your into fighters this is one of those games thats often over looked but I think you will be surprised by it. The voice acting for the opening and endings though is pretty bad. Either its someone on the team or they pulled some random english speaker off the street and asked them to record lol.

Apparently there is a third game on SATURN as well, but it seems like it was made in like 3 months then released so who knows what/how good that is.

Last edited:

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Actually now that you say that, it was very much like Gundam VS! Very underrated game that not a lot of people played and it's now very expensive. There's videos out there that show more crazier stuff than that.
I mean, I'm not seeing a single thing here that wasn't reused for Gundam Vs. It even has beam shot dash cancel combos.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Played the ever loving shit out of this back in the day. It's honestly incredible. However despite my friends and I getting good at it, I've never seen pro level play of Last Bronx so I'm unsure if it's as balanced as I'm remembering. I mained Kurosawa and referred to him as stick all the time. There was a bunch of great music in it too. Ah memories...

Loved this game.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably awful, but I LOVED the Battle Arena Toshinden Gameboy game when I was a kid.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
so i dont like fighting games, like at all. but i have Neo Geo Battle Colosseum for PS2

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Urban Reign (PS2) - Like one of the the best 3D brawlers ever by the Tekken Team.....highly underrated. Lots of characters, fun and simple fighting with a bit of depth in combos if you go deeper, team up moves, up to 4 players!
1LNOhaj.gif

I never know if this is a fighting game or a beat em up xD

All i know is that the soundtrack is awesome

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yes! I came to post this, Im glad someone else understands its greatness.

This game and Project Justice were some of my favorite dreamcast games.

Yup, Kikaioh/Tech Romancer is one of the best Capcom fighters ever created IMO.
Fun systems, an incredibly diverse cast with some great mecha call-outs, an INCREDIBLE amount of content on the disc, etc.

The JP version also has one of the best covers ever.
10360298.jpg

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
The same company also made a casual focus cute inter company crossover 2 years before the first smash bros

O. M. G.

I've been trying to figure out what game I played at a friend's house that had little dudes. Every time I do some sort of search I come up with Rival Schools, but then I look at footage and it's not Rival School. It's this. Pocket Fighters. God damn.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Wait

Nobody said Kaiser Knuckle/Global Champion? The hard ass General? What even is this place:

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Damn, came to post this. Sad it's not being point out more by others.
I bought the Dreamcast version that was released like 2 years ago and remember having lots of fun with it. Hopefully a port comes out on the Switch like a lot of the other older Neo Geo fighters.

EDIT: Maybe it's just Breakers that was just released on Dreamcast? Dang, I guess I didn't play Breaker's Revenge.

SynthBpm

Oct 30, 2017
Silver Spring
it's not old and it definitely shouldn't be niche, but def Fantasy Strike, literally everything people say they like about the new Samsho FS does better. i love it so much.

echoing Pocket Fighter callouts, that is just such a beautiful art style and the game is great too (might pick up Pocket Rumble for the closest thing we'll get to a remake, hey that game also counts here).

Matrimelee and other Power Instict games were some of the coolest stuff i messed around with in emulators when i first started playing fighting games.

My tru #1 hidden gem tho is Shinkendo by Renji Nikaido on itch (it's free). it's so simple it makes Divekick look like Guilty Gear, but it feels so so so great. the arcade mode is super short, but so good that I've played it tons of times, i've only played it in multiplayer a couple of times, but it was great in multiplayer too. i use joytokey and Borderless Gaming to make it actually work for local multiplayer. it's just so frikkin good.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
echoing Pocket Fighter callouts, that is just such a beautiful art style and the game is great too (might pick up Pocket Rumble for the closest thing we'll get to a remake, hey that game also counts here).
Pocket Rumble's style is 1000% homaging the Neo Geo Pocket Color fighting games to be more precise.

Speaking of which, the secret best SNK vs Capcom

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Zero Divide

top_001.jpg

I tried this recently for the first time. Not only was I shocked how well put together this fighter is, but also that the cast is freaking robots! It's a pretty competent fighter that launched on PS1 in the first game and got a sequel as well for some reason without ever really lighting the world on fire. The characters are a bit hodge podge and hard to make out until you play it though. Also a cool feature was the robots taking damage on their armor.

If your into fighters this is one of those games thats often over looked but I think you will be surprised by it. The voice acting for the opening and endings though is pretty bad. Either its someone on the team or they pulled some random english speaker off the street and asked them to record lol.

Apparently there is a third game on SATURN as well, but it seems like it was made in like 3 months then released so who knows what/how good that is.

Love this obscure, forgotten series. I collect it. Still missing the Saturn release, and the original on PSX.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
It may not be super obscure (Giant Bomb covered it on Ranking of the Fighters), but Fighters Destiny [sic] for the N64 is pretty special not only in being a fighting game for the N64, but because of its point system which complements the health bar. Points are awarded for ring outs, knockdowns, etc., and the first player to reach seven points wins.

There's also a sequel for the same console, Fighter Destiny 2 [sic]; its main improvements being 60 FPS, more fighters, enhanced audio and video and a new game mode where you can train a fighter.

Really? Back in the day, N64 fighters were all considered mediocre at best. None of them really pleased critics. Fighter's Destiny sounded really cool, but I avoided it after read the so-so reviews.

I recommend TMNT Tournament Fighters on the SNES. Stay away from the Genesis version. It's not the same game.