• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Dishonored game is your favorite?

• Dishonored

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Dishonored 2

Votes: 133 61.0%
  • Dishonored: Death of the Outsider

Votes: 8 3.7%

• Total voters

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
They're all good, I feel Dishonored 1 was a bit more cohesive but 2 has some more standout levels.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely loved the first Dishonored game but never did go back for the DLC.
After all of the technical issues with Dishonored 2, I only ended up playing through a few of the levels once they fixed it - and never got started on Death of the Outsider.

From what I have played of Dishonored 2, though, I'd almost say that the levels were too big. I enjoyed them but found them exhausting to complete and had to take breaks in-between.
Meanwhile, I wanted to spend every free moment with Prey (2017) until I completed it.
Did anyone else feel the same way about Dishonored 2?

I only finished the first game so far. I haven't been able to finish 2 because of the constant stuttering on PC.
Since the final patch was released, it's been possible to play Dishonored 2 without that stutter - though it depends on several conditions being met.
You need a G-Sync/Variable Refresh Rate display, and your system has to be fast enough to hold a constant 60/120 FPS.
The engine seems to have a fixed 60Hz tick rate - so only 60/120 FPS will be stutter-free. Even a constant 105 FPS (one step below 120 on its limiter) looks worse than 60 FPS.

You must disable the in-game v-sync option (but can force it via the GPU drivers) to activate the game's own frame rate limiter, and that must be set to either 60 or 120.
That's why you need VRR. An external frame rate limiter, or using v-sync to limit it, will not work to eliminate the stutter completely - it has to be running off the game's internal 60Hz tick.

You also need to use settings that can hold a constant 60/120 FPS - so I recommend enabling the resolution scaling feature. VRR will not help to smooth things out if this game dips below the 60/120 target.
Even five years on, it's still a very demanding game to run - so you may also need to turn down some of the graphical options. If your CPU is slower than Zen 2, that includes the texture quality. That setting hits the CPU hard, and I couldn't go above medium with my old 1700X.
I have doubts that anything but the fastest PCs could run this game above 60 FPS at high resolutions today, since any dropped frames will cause it to stutter. It's certainly not possible with my current 3700X/3060Ti system.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Emily is so much fun to play compared to Corvo. Was sad when Mask of the Outsider was a downgrade in-terms of player choice combat wise.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Dishonored 1 but thought 2 was a big step down. I really don't understand the love for that one. I still need to play DotO tho.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I can't vote because I've loved both 1 and 2 (haven't played DotO yet).

1 has a better story imho, but 2 has better gameplay. And 1's both pieces of DLC are top top tier.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Dishonored 1 better than 2 for me purely on the back of its story and how it is reflected in the hub and the characters. Dishonored 2 felt comparatively like a series of levels stitched together for no particular reason; levels that were great individually, with the Clockwork mansion being my favorite, but didn't come together to form a cohesive whole.

I didn't like the choosing your character bit in the beginning either, and didn't like Emily's powers as much as Corvo's in the first game. Dishonored 2 is still a great game though. I wonder why it hasn't gotten an FPS boost on Xbox yet?

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I love all of the Dishonored games....but Dishonored 2 is the best. The highs are so high and there's equivalent fun things to do in non-lethal and lethal runs.

D1 feels nice and tight, and has the novelty of being the first game in the series, but 2 just tops it in kinda every way. More variety, more reactivity, more cohesive player verbs, better art design, better graphics, better voice acting, more stand out levels, better level design....it's honestly a masterpiece.

DoTO is great, and I think the mana system is a net plus over the potion style in D1 and 2. But it definitely has an "expansion pack" feel. Some great levels though!

Oct 27, 2017
While I initially leaned towards Dishonoured 1, I think a big portion of that is just because I'd played it first, it's arguably more directed as a package (i.e. it feels more well considered as a whole whereas Dishonoured 2 feels a bit more 'artificial' and designed as a string to hang cool levels from), and preferred Dunwall as a setting. In reality after thinking about it more, it's hard to deny that Dishonoured 2 is superior in almost every aspect; it even still retains Corvo as a character if his powers are preferred. The only upset I can see swaying the decision is how you feel regarding the DLC for Dishonoured, but for me it doesn't sway things.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love them all, but the missions in 2 are the best. Crack in the Slab, Clockwork Mansion, my goodness.

But I love 1 as well. I recently discovered the one-shot cameo from Carrie Fisher if you kill the radio announcer.

Not a fan of 2's insane aim acceleration, I've been replaying on XSX and 1 feels so precise but 2 feels like it's constantly trying to make me ill. I don't recall that being a problem when I played 2 on PS4.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Other than the Bank, DotO felt inferior to 2 in pretty much every way. It's still great, and better than most other games, but 2 is the best.

Also, if you have an Xbox Series console, DotO has FPS boost as well as Auto-HDR and basically non-existent load times. I played it there in spite of already owning it on PS4.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
first one with the expansions will go down as my most memorable moments in 2010s gaming aside from Skyrim, Dark Souls, other heavy hitters i can't name off the bat

something about D2 just didn't sit quite right with me despite having sublime level design

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
2 has the most wow factor, but I like the lightness of 1 and its Expansions. 2 felt weighty in a way that made me feel imprecise, and I kept getting stuck on unseen edges when I'd try to slide under furniture and the like. 2 and DotO also have the worst stick sensitivity I've ever experienced in a first person game.

fixing ranger

Aug 24, 2021
My favourite is D2.

From the gameplay perspective D2, it is just more polished D1 with more options, especially non-lethal.

From the story perspective, it is: DotO = D1 DLC > D2 > D1. Funny that they put most of interesting character development in DLCs.
D2 story is narrated in a really bad way, when I played the game first time I literally had no idea why I have to get to all these people. After I played the game 5+ times, I understand it much better and can say that the story underneath all of that is decent, although it is way too resembling of D1 DLC.

DotO has my favourite mission, The Bank Job (previous one, Follow the Ink, is really great too). So many options, and it is really cool to explore that district with so many side missions! Too bad other levels (except the last one) were not very exciting.

So, overall, it is D2. My favourite way of playing is either no powers (I feel badass sneaking through just relying on myself), or with powers, but total ghost (no knockouts, no spotting, clean hands).