• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
21216.jpg

It's always going to be the Mega Man X4 character select screen for me.

Why?

In X1-X3, there wasn't one. It was just X. Booting up X4 and seeing this was a legendary moment in gaming I will never forget.

It's also indicative of X4's higher budget, because the sprite art, music, and even the green cursor are all extremely high quality stuff.

What's yours?

As an aside, Guilty Gear XX has my absolute favorite music.

D.O.A.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Diddy Kong Racing. For the simple reason that the music changes to suit the mood of the character being selected.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic Advance 3 had cute team names + unique sprites for some of the character combinations:

I'm curious what Persona 5 Scramble's looks like too, hopefully it's not a static menu like most musou's.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
R-Type Delta's hangar was really cool with nice music, and the low poly chunky models really suits the ships.

pIWEVFZ.gif
Q6PKbV6.gif

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I love the presentation in Capcom vs. SNK in general, but the character select screen is definitely one of the highlights.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Street Fighter III: Third Strike
nBrgPD8.png

It looks amazing and sounds amazing thanks to the catchy music.

Last edited:

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
It would be except that, at least for me, there being so much shit on the screen makes it kind of hard to look at. The same problem happens on some of the later Dream Match KOF games like 2002UM where it's got a ton of icons just barfed all over. MvC2 probably could have benefited from the characters you've chosen being put below and on top of the current highlighted character instead of behind the sphere.

I'm a bigger fan of the selections on the bottom with the character art on the top. SF2 did this, SF3 did this (except 3S, but they laid it out well), lots of older fighting games in general did it. Tekken Tag 2 and Tekken 7 have a MASSIVE number of character icons but the layout they use lends itself better to there still being room for the character portraits and it looking less jumbled.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Turtles In Time is my favorite

source.gif

ALSO huge shoutout to Jet Force Gemini

tumblr_ovigod7JZ91v6pzwto1_400.gifv

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Song is burned into my brain since hearing it once as a child. Absolutely hype inducing.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I can't decide between MVC2, MMX 4, SF3 Third Strike, or Mortal Kombat X. Probably MVC2 at the end of the day, simply because I enjoy taking rides.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Donkey Kong 64.
Maybe not elegant, but it was really cool and the Dynamic song was great:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
NRS has cool animations in their character selects but the actual layout is just okay to me.

Which is weird because I really really like OWs character select screen. It's simple but just scrolling through all the characters is always fun to see DVA and what not.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017

It's the slick transition from the Killer Instinct theme to the character select theme that always gets me hyped before a match.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
1600px-SSBU_Character_Select_DLC.jpeg

So many video game icons and generations of gaming history in one game, sharing one character select screen. This still feels like it should be impossible, and yet Sakurai made it happen. Every time I play Smash Ultimate and see this screen, even now, I get so hyped up.

Just imagine going back in time and showing this to people between the release of Brawl and Smash 4, or even between Melee and Brawl. You'd be laughed not just out of the room, but off the planet. And yet...