• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Obviously inspired by What was your favorite Far Side panel? Era deserves both threads.

There are almost too many to choose from, but I have to start with a classic:

ze5ehh2zz6qz.png

If you only have a vague memory of a strip you read 15 years ago, don't worry! The internet is amazing and you can search for any comic via its transcript using the Calvin and Hobbes Search Engine. Have fun!

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Damn you, OP. It's impossible for me to choose, much more so than the Far Side.

Edit - Maybe these two -

71d83a10b78cd80b22a39517b250db4a.jpg

ST0JHtB.jpg

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I don't know why this one amused me to no end when I was a kid.
9h2qczw26o011.jpg

This one I loved cause Godzilla vs Megalon was the first Godzilla film I ever saw.

ch080203.gif

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the third panel of this one causing me to crack up uncontrollably as a child:

Iv7uOhE.jpg

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
3 that I remember.

Calvin not having a gift for Hobbes IIRC.

Calvin losing Hobbes, his mom telling him he shouldn't have dragged Hobbes to play outside or something along those lines.

Suzy playing house with Hobbes (follow up to the previous strip), Calvin acting like a gentlemen to Suzy... and then stealing her cookies.

Those snowmen were really funny too.

What a gift C&H was.

I second that emotion.

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
The Trump edition ones are hilarious and fits his idiotic/immature demeanor; I remember somebody posted it on GAF.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
As you can tell, my user name is paraphrased from this strip and my avatar is similar artwork that was used in one of the collections. Definitely a favorite.

There are countless strips that are hilarious, relatable, deep, smart, whatever superlative you want to add so it is difficult to pick a favorite. So I will just post the final strip in all its tear-inducing perfect glory.
WI2QLU6.png

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have so many I love. But this was one of the first to pop into my head:

cb5e1f707f78bc2baed42acafb493b9f.jpg

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The strip is overflowing with legendary heartwarming and comedic moments, but this is easily the one that comes to mind when I think of Calvin and Hobbes. I quote "Don't sneeze" often.

3e435c10dec20131719a005056a9545d

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Literally any of the snow man strips. Calvin the nihilist on full display:

ZOI6Lr9.gif

voBdB95.jpg

6Gtj6nd.jpg

oFn31sU.gif

PbnW4tR.jpg

Last edited:

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I can't find it at the moment, but the one that *never* fails to make me laugh is the one where he's in a box shuffling up to his mom and asking for cookies for his home planet.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Literal impossible thread but I love you OP.

I have all the individual collections and the big hardback collectors edition (but it's a bit fragile)

Can't pick a favourite single panel but I have two favourite types

- snowman series
- any panel where Hobbes rolls his eyes.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
This one is just so wholesome, and as a kid it just felt right. After reading it I completely understood my dad, and after showing this comic to him all he could do was hug me, and I still remember that feeling after all these years.

Literally any of the snow man strips. Calvin the nihilist on full display:

ZOI6Lr9.gif

voBdB95.jpg

6Gtj6nd.jpg

oFn31sU.gif

PbnW4tR.jpg
The snowman horror show is definitely peak C&H. You can make an entire collection book just with these strips and it would be a hit.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
There are no words to describe my love for Calvin & Hobbes.

After many years of intentionally avoiding rereading the books, I am ready for any excuse to go through them all again.

Why have I avoided it for years at this point? Cuz I had read them all over so many times that I had memorized nearly everything and reading it became hard cuz I knew everything coming my way, hence it was no longer enjoyable.

It's been long enough now where I at least won't remember every upcoming line and can read it again with new eyes.

This thread may push me to do just that.

I own every major book (but not every single collection ever released as far as I remember) and even own multiple copies of a few. Can't tell you how many times I've read every book.

This series means so damn much to me. What a masterpiece. The wonderful art, humor, and heart will be something I'll never forget.

However I will say I believe the strip lost a little bit of its magic the closer it got to the end. The art became a bit more sterile and Calvin became far too intelligent to the point of him being pretentious.