• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
c0fa97e2cccb4c350c7e2545181c3e42baf7c54f.jpg

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Close tie between GreedFall and Darksiders III

A lot of the runner up slots go to other Focus games though.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Maneater, Tell Me Why, and Journey to the Savage Planet. I was expecting Tell Me Why to be good, so Maneater and Savage Planet stand out as the ones I'll remember the most just because I had a great time with and 100%'d both.

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
Apparently Plague Tale gets way better as you go? I got to Chapter 6 before putting it down, but it was just pretty good up to that point, imo.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Is Fallen Order AA? It certainly doesnt feel like it has the scope or ambition of a triple A title. In any case, that would be my choice.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Currently playing and loving Yakuza 0, and it's the most "AA" feeling thing I've played in forever. It's like a PS2 game with nicer graphics, and even then some models and textures...

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
Desperados III fits in this category, I think? At any rate, it's a really satisfying set of stealth puzzles.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
It's literally a Star Wars game published by EA. Even though it sometimes feels like a PS2 game (in a good way!) it's definitely AAA.
I dont see how either of those factors are relevant necessarily? EA has released games that are not AAA, and the Star Wars franchise has non-AAA games. In scope and ambition, it seems like it is on the same level as many of the titles mentioned here, like Yakuza, Darksiders, maybe even Greedfall.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Does Nioh count? Because if so it's Nioh. Or maybe Divinity Original Sin 2. What an amazing experience.

Honorable mention goes to Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden.

And how's Elex? I've heard positive things about it but whenever I watch videos of it it looks bland and barren. Almost like a single player MMO, if that makes sense.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Do this gen's Soulsborne titles not count as AA? I don't think of them as having particularly high budgets or production values.

So I'll go with Bloodborne.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
DanganRonpa V3 is my off the cuff answer. What a fucking ride that game was.

I guess stuff like the 3DS Fire Emblem games are probably my actual answer, but those feel a bit weird because they're from a major publisher.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Probably Outer Wilds or Subnautica. Just started Hades but I think it will be up there too

I have no idea if all/any of those would be considered AA

Last edited:
May 10, 2019
Fire Pro Wrestling World would fall into this category as a lower overhead/lower budget Spike Chunsoft game, and that's my choice

Also if something launched at $60 retail, I don't consider it anything less than AAA, which is why I don't give it to No Man's Sky or the first run Yakuza games

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
idk what counts tbh, but probably Outer Wilds, The Witness or Gravity Rush.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Shadow Warrior 2

IMO it deserves to be up there with doom 16 but i can't blame people for sleeping on it with the loot/proc gen direction. and it does stem from an ostensibly racist game from the 90s (which SW2013 and SW2 patch up, at least imo)... but SW3 is a thing so i guess it sold okay enough

Nov 4, 2017
If Paradox brought out a game that year, that's my answer.

Also CK3 is legit dope, and a breath of fresh air for people who love the concept but had a hard time with previous titles due to the clunky interface.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Maneater. Loved it to bits. Platinum'd it in 1 day, can't remember the last time I had a 10+ hour game session. Felt like a kid again.