• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy 2 without question. Galaxy 1 has higher highs, to be certain, but Galaxy 2 is the perfect refinement of the Mario formula. Just an incredibly great game. I never felt anything close to the enjoyment I got from the Galaxy games on ANY of the Mario games from the Wii U era.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy 1, although Galaxy 2 is probably the "better" game if I were to replay both side-by-side today.

I just really dug Galaxy 1 my first time playing and it's one of my favorite games of all time. Like this thing was mind blowing for me playing it back then. Super Mario 64 is the only one that's close on how much of a personal impact it made on me.

Nikpls

Oct 25, 2017
but still need to replicate the stupid motion inputs. Arghhhh.
Dolphin lets you simply bind Wiimote shakes to a button. Plays just like a non-motion controll mario after you do that, I've played it like that before. There are only a couple of sections outside of the overworld where you have to use the cursor to pull on things. They're a bit annoying without a Wiimote, but if your PC is at a desk, quickly grabbing the mouse shouldn't be too distracting. Looks amazing in 1080p or higher, too!

Deleted member 6223

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me it's 3D World. The combo of HD visuals, music, 5 playable characters, multiplayer, and the fantastic platforming make it my absolute favorite.

Jaffo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rome, Italy
Dolphin lets you simply bind Wiimote shakes to a button. Plays just like a non-motion controll mario after you do that, I've played it like that before. There are only a couple of sections outside of the overworld where you have to use the cursor to pull on things. They're a bit annoying without a Wiimote, but if your PC is at a desk, quickly grabbing the mouse shouldn't be too distracting. Looks amazing in 1080p or higher, too!
I've always postponed trying it because i was too lazy/thought it would be too much of a hassle. I will finally try it once i beat Odissey. Thanks for the tips <3

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Mario 64 holds a special place in my heart. Galaxy 1 & 2 are fantastic games. I liked Sunshine and 3D World, but didn't love them. I don't have a Switch yet, but Odyssey may force me to get one.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
My vote goes to Galaxy for the out there creativity coming after sunshine. It also landed when I was in college and brought along some great moments in the dorms

start

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Super Mario Galaxy, which is also one of my favorite games of all time.

I hope Odyssey surprises me.

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3D World. To me it hits the sweet spot between 2D Mario and 3D Mario games.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be 64, just due to nostalgia alone, although I did love Galaxy. Could never get into Sunshine or 3D World, though I tried them both. We shall see come Friday how Odyssey turns out, but I have a feeling this will be an all-time classic.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Mario 64 is mine as well, I just have so many amazing memories. Though Galaxy 1 and 2 are very close!

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy is the total package: graphics, music, story, presentation, innovation. Just perfection

But sunshine is the game that I played the most. I probably put over 200 hours in that game just playing with Mario's moveset.

Oct 25, 2017
For me its Sunshine. Dont know why but everything about that game to me was gold.
I thought the void levels (where you lose your waterpack) were incredible as were a few of the more challenging levels (the flying sand bird, for one). For all its weaknesses (lack of variety in environments, boring hub word, really creepy NPCs, shittiest story and voice acting of all time, etc.) it had awesome gameplay and presented a great challenge. Mario was a fucking ninja in that game.

CosmicGinger

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Galaxy, with 3D World a close second. Something about Galaxy 2 never clicked with me, although several of the individual worlds are some of my favorites in the series, particularly the ghost levels with the SNES haunted house music. But as a whole it just didn't come together as a cohesive game, and I wasn't fond of the coin collecting mechanic in the first star of each world. 3D World is vastly underrated and is probably the most polished game I've ever played. The only thing that keeps it from dethroning Galaxy are those Toad and touch screen stages that require the game pad. The entire game should be playable with the Pro Controller.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I grew up on Mario 64 so that gets my vote. Every time I hear the castle theme I feel like I'm 7 all over again

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
It's Galaxy 1 for me. I would say Galaxy 2, especially for its music, but 1 has that Rosalina story which pushes it higher for me.

LinkMaster111

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy 2 > 64 > 3D World > Galaxy 1 > 3D Land > Sunshine

Sunshine is the only one I don't love though, I've played through all the other ones multiple times.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
see it's interesting. I think 3D World is the perfect progression of 2D mario into 3D and i Love it for it. Mario 64 is my favorite open world Mario. Galaxy 2 is my favorite of the linear-objective based Mario. They are like 3 styles of game play, so it's hard to have a "favorite".

Oct 25, 2017
Mario 64. A good deal of this is due to nostalgia but I also prefer the more open Mario games to, say, the Galaxy games.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
For another day or so it's the first Mario Galaxy. The sequel is right alongside it tbh the only issue is that I loved the observatory and Rosalina's touching story and SMG2 just felt like an (extremely amazing and incredible) expansion.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing beats Mario 64! Galaxy 2 is ridiculously good though. I always found it funny that I LOVE Galaxy 2 but I really don't care for 1 at all. Like I mean I know why, Galaxy 2 is paced better and better designed but I'm really shocked at how huge of a difference that made on my impression of the two.

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
As a platform game, Galaxy 2 is the best ever made.
The art direction, ost, the level design, the power ups and the ideas diversity are ridiculously top notches. Not to mention the control is so good "motion gimmicks aside".

Galaxy 1 is more charming tho "Rosalina's book story, the ending and it's the first experience."

Yet, pretty sure Odyssey is gonna dethrone Galaxy2 from the top lol.

Last edited:

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm alone in this, but Super Mario 3D World.

I get some people don't consider it a "real" 3d Mario, but it is one of my favorites. Other than that, Mario 64 is pretty damn good.
Me too. The Galaxies just didn't really grab me that much, despite getting every star. 64 is incredible of course, Sunshine is fantastic but flawed, but 3D world just hits all the right marks for me. It's my favorite Mario platformer since SMB3.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Super Mario Sunshine. Yes, im not joking at all
The game is so under-rated IMO

OP
OP
Super Nintendad
Oct 25, 2017
So i've been torn for a long time between Mario 64 and Galaxy. I need to give it to Mario 64. That game changed the way I looked and played video games really.

CUD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Galaxy. I never enjoyed 64 as much as a lot of people do, maybe it was the controls.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Gotta go with 64. The nostalgia is intense, and the tight gameplay is more so. I do wish the levels looked as nice the ones from Sunshine or Galaxy. Throwback Galaxy was really good, and I hope they do more like that.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy 2 for me. Galaxy's move toward more linear platforming obstacle courses delivered what I had always wanted from Mario in 3D after loving the 2D games so much growing up. This to me felt like what Mario should be in 3D more than the more open 64/Sunshine. Galaxy 2 refines what the first game did, cutting some of the extraneous elements (like 1's larger hub) and mixing things up level to level through level design, power-ups and other ideas in a way that reminded me of Super Mario Bros. 3 (my favorite Mario game). That's why it's my favorite 3D Mario.

lingpanda

Oct 25, 2017
SMW holds a special place in my heart because of its sound effects. M64 was great because I was finally in the Mario Kingdom. I'm going with M64.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Galaxy 1. Just a simply astonishing game. Galaxy 2 may be better but the first one broke the mold.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Galaxy by a light year.

(no pun intended)

(okay, fine maybe a little)

After that:

SMG2
SM64
SMS
SM3DW

Mhj

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Odyssey might just be my overall favourite Mario game. Between myself and my children, we have over 300 hours played in total.