• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
So now that new consoles are out it's evenually going to be time to work on my backlog of games.
So far I have a few games I have to play and it's not as horrible as I thought!

I have:
Demon souls (ps5)
Yakuza seires 2-7
Halo 4 and 5
Bugsnax
Monster Hunter Iceborne
Xcom 2 with all dlcs enabled

This is so far my list and I have learned to take it at a slow pace. What's your list like and how's it making you feel?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I've completed the 52 games a year challenge since 2017 and yet I'm still not entirely convinced that my backlog is actually getting any smaller.

TimeDevourer

Feb 24, 2018
My backlog is massive. I've slowed down quite a bit the past few years and rarely buy games new, but I inevitably buy games that I know I won't play due to sweet sales.

I still have a ton of 360 games to play that I've convinced myself I'll get to eventually...

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
My backlog is just "games I want to play" which goes back over 40+ years of gaming history. No reason to think about it much more than that.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Oh god I probably have 100 games in my backlog but NOTEABLE games that I have waiting to be played are:

RDR2, TLOU2, GoT, Death Stranding, FF7R, Nioh 2, Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, SackBoy, Godfall, KH3, BL3, Valhalla, RE2 and 3, Control, Metro Exodus, I can keep going on and on. It's ridiculous at this point. My biggest issue is I keep waiting on certain games because I feel like PS5 patches are going to drop and make them run at 60fps.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I have 500+ games on my digital backlog alone. I just pretend they aren't there and buy new games I want to play.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
The last time I care to check I had over 400 on my Steam account alone, sometimes I ever seem a game on sale or heard about a game that sounds interesting to me search for it on Steam and to my surprise, I have own that game for more than 3 years. At this point, I just feel nothing.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
I'm starting to get slightly overwhelmed, despite only having my Switch since last July. The problem is that I have a small handful of lengthy JRPGs among my collection, so those will particularly take some time. I plan on finishing almost all of these, and I can since I've been buying games infrequently. Animal Crossing continues to be a daily game for me, but my sessions are extremely short now.

Disgaea 5 Complete (35 hours played)
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (35 hours played)
Pokemon Shield (20 hours played and no desire to go back and finish)
Octopath Traveler (5 hours played)
Super Mario Odyssey (4 hours played)
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (1 hour played)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (haven't started)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore (haven't started)
Super Mario 3D All-Stars (haven't started)

I added Luigi's Mansion 3, Link's Awakening Remake, and Hollow Knight to the pile due to Black Friday deals. Thankfully, these games seem to be somewhat short.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
Currently working on Ghost of Tsushima and Sackboy

Backlog

Demon's Souls
Bloodborne
Bugsnax
Days Gone
RDR 2(likely gonna wait till next gen release sadly)
The Last Guardian
Until Dawn
Crash N'sane trilogy

And I feel fine about it. This will hold me over till the next big PS5 release, which I assume will be Ratchet & Clank.

Last edited:

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I've got
Demon's Souls
Miles Morales
Dirt 5
Yakuza 7
CoD Cold War
The Falconeer
Godfall
Assassin's Creed Valhalla
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
Pikmin 3 DX
Twin Mirror
Trails of Cold Steel 4
Ghost of Tsushima
Crash Bandicoot 4

to play. Whatever Steam games I have sitting there that I've never touched don't count and should never count. 500+ games isn't a backlog, you just have a problem letting go.

I've finished my backlog repeatedly over and over again to the tune of 100+ games in a year for quite a few years. I'll have Cold Steel 4 done this week probably, chop through some of the shorter games quickly enough, and probably be done and cleaned up by the end of my vacation time off in February. No worries.

Also my Switch games are not super playable right now because the fan on my Switch died and it overheats in like 30 minutes of use so I need to figure out if I'm replacing it sooner or later.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's immense and sometimes I am sad that I bought a video game that I doubt I will ever have the time to play in my life.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I feel pretty good because my real backlog has like 7 games on it. And not a single one is a game I've not played yet. It's replays or attempts to finish stuff.

And then I've got a bunch of free games I might get around to but I don't really care if I don't. And then about 20 games I have various interest in eventually buying but just haven't because I have other stuff to play.

And then everything else is just in case I somehow get through all of those.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy-downsized-large.gif

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
I have around 2k games on steam with 50% unplayed. Humble bundle filled my library with shit I'm never going to touch
trying to work out what I would consider backlog and what's just something I have no interest in would take a very long time

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
It's not so bad at the moment. I mostly cleaned out my PS4 backlog in 2019. I added to it since then and of course got Switch/PC titles to get to but when I look at it compared to how many I buy, and their average length I don't feel overwhelmed at the moment.

I used to play a lot of JRPG but I have only a handful of those left in the wings these days. The ones I do seem to be on the shorter side minus Ys VIII which I bought last night and Xenoblade DE. I got a lot of indie or smaller titles to finish though. Really happy PS5 is BC, I can enjoy my new console as well as chip away at the games I already had while waiting for newer releases I'm interested in haha. I was real tempted to buy like 7+ games on the blackfriday sales on PSN and Steam but I held out and got 3. I think thats been the best way to keep the backlog manageable.

Aug 13, 2019
I've trimmed my backlog of games I'm never going to go back to or even touch, but I'm still daunted by the sheer size of it. I try not to look it in the eyes.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a "realistic" backlog and I'm okay with it, I have 14 games on it right now. I of course have hundreds of games I want to play but as I said I keep my list achievable.

I have finished 53 games this year so far, so I've reduced my Backlog a lot this year.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
My steam library is over 2000 titles deep and that is just steam.

I don't have a backlog. I will just simply play every game, eventually.

I finished 65 so far this year, so not a terrible pace.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Define backlog? I will never play every game I'm interested in and not even close. I've come to accept that and just play whatever whenever.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hundreds of games deep. Of the ones I'd like to play anyway. Lots of games in there (from bundles) I'll just never play. Lately, I've been trying to actually play and dare I say complete the stuff I've bought. Refreshing. And by the time I get around to these new/current releases, they'll be cheap. Win-win.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
There's quite a lot of games I want to play on mine. As for games I want to play soon,

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Assassin's Creed Origins (playing this now)
Mafia 2 Definitive Edition, then a replay of Mafia 3
CoD MW2 Campaign Remaster, then CoD World at War (this'll be a replay)
Trails of Cold Steel (then 2, 3 and 4)
Persona 4 Golden, then Persona 5 Royal
Days Gone
Ghost of Tsushima
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore

The full list is of course a lot longer. I don't really mind though. It's nice to have a collection of games (which is something I've always wanted to do), and it means that there are always several choices to dive into when I want to play something new. I'm being more careful about not spending as much for games (ie buy stuff that you want to play ASAP instead of buying it because it's on sale), and trying to make sure I play through titles. But it's definitely fun, and it's also nice to not have to worry about release droughts.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Every game on Switch except for Odyssey.

Most games on 3DS.

Dozens others.

Tired of the backlog, making a resolution to not buy another game in the new year, no matter what it is, until I beat 10 games first. Likely starting with 13 sentinels first at home, Bravely Default when I'm at work.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
i think it's my first time ever in adult life, having a small backlog of games. It was really good sales on the games, so I could not say no. The games bough and in backlog:

Control The Ultimate Edition - wont play this though until I have a ps5 and patch for next-gen version being out

Call Of Duty: Infinite Warfare - Heard good things about the campaign for a long time

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Up for some adventures.

The last two, will be the last games to play on my base ps4. The swansong of ps4 backlog.

May 2, 2020
Once I reached 400-500 games on my word document of games I want to play (I've had the document for like 5 years), I realized that I'm just going to take it one game at a time. I think of it less like a backlog and more like a library of games I'm interested in and I'll select one of the games when I want to check it out.

There's too many quality games coming out every year, just try to play all those high priority ones as soon as possible and go from there.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I finally realised that my backlog had won. It reproached me every time I looked at my library. The new generation was a chance to break with past, admit defeat, regroup and start again. If I buy a game, .I have resolved to finish it before buying another. I am allowing myself one single-player and one multiplayer game at a time.

I have now finished Spider-man Remastered, and I have started on Miles Morales. The first bump in the road is AC Valhalla. In the nine days before my PS5 arrived, I played it on the XSX. To say I found it mediocre would be an understatement. I am dreading having to pick it up again. I may have to eBay it and pretend I never owned it. Here's a screenshot from my XSX version of Valhalla to put things in perspective. Why does it look like Fallout 3? Lol.

nU6seuK.jpg

Last edited:

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
My backlog is 350 games strong. How do I feel about it? Like it's my own fault. Because it is.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
I recently calculated and trimmed it in order to reduce it. I currently have 74 games I own and really want to play spread across 4 platforms (psvita, 3ds, wiiu, pc).

I also own a Switch but for now I've managed to only buy a game after finishing the previous one, so I'm not counting it.

Maybe I'll make a thread about it to motivate myself, but my objective is to bring it to zero (or single digits) by Christmas 2023, when I plan on buying the ps5/ps5 pro.

I think I can achieve it, but it will be hard for me, so I introduced the rule that if a game I own on psvita/3ds gets ported to another platform it will be better to play on I'll drop the version I own and add it to the post-2023 wishlist. I also decidee I won't buy any non-switch game until I've completed it.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i started by making a list but it came out to over 30 games

pretty sad/pathetic but then again we're in the age of having whatever media we want whenever at our fingertips for not a ridiculous price so, eh. comes with the territory i suppose

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I prefer "library", but the list is pretty long for the games I want to play in it. Don't see any problems with that though. Would be worse if I had nothing to play. Meanwhile, I keep playing games I've already played a bunch lately. Beating every game I have is probably not in the cards.

Nov 12, 2017
My backlog looks like:
PC:
-Nothing. Recently cleared out the last game.

Switch:
-Plague Knight Campaign
-Specter Knight Campaign
-King Knight Campaign
-Links Awakening (got on sale recently and playing)
-Yoshi (also bought on sale)

3DS:
-Kirby Super Star Ultra (bought not too long ago)
-Kirby Planet Robobot (bought on sale and currently playing through)

I'm OK with this backlog, though I do want something to break up the monotony of so many platformers soon. Thinking FE Gaiden Remake.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I've completed the 52 games a year challenge since 2017 and yet I'm still not entirely convinced that my backlog is actually getting any smaller.

Ha, I actually did it in 2018 and 2019, too. Combined it with a strict "only buy a new game if I play it right away" method, that helped to shrink it down considerably. But ever since Dreams came out this year, I've been creating so much in there that I've only completed about 34 games this year (plus a few DLC). Quite a few were Game Pass and not backlog games this year though, but you know what: I should really be playing what I want to play instead of religiously only playing backlog stuff over Game Pass titles. Still got my backlog down quite a bit but I did get a few more new games than the last few years due to lockdown and whatnot.

crazillo's Playthroughs | HowLongToBeat

How long are your favorite video games? HowLongToBeat has the answer. Create a backlog, submit your game times and compete with your friends!

Here's my list, BTW :) Some very long games on it like Dragon Quest XI but also quite a few that are around 10-15 hours. Should try to finally get it down to under 10 at some point soon.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
It's... a lot. But, well, ehh? I don't feel so bad. I'll get around to those games one day. The ones on the PS4, I'll likely get around them when I get a PS5. Maybe. Doom's a short game, right? Plus a few others. I'm only counting some of the PS+ titles. Steam games though... Yeah, not sure when the hell that's happening, lmao. If I get in the mood, I'll go play those gams and hopefully finish them. I won't beat myself up over not playing them. I bought them, I can play them whenever.

nath999

May 7, 2018
Covid has helped me clear a ton of backlog. If I can keep track of it in my head it's not too big of a list.

Star Wars : Jedi Fallen Order
Persona 5 Royal
Demon Souls
The Evil Within 2
Devil May Cry 5
Control Ultimate Edition
The Outer Worlds
Spyro Reignited
Shadow of the Colossus
Call of Duty Cold War
Doom
Doom Eternal
FFXII remaster
Cyberpunk 2077 (just going to add this since it's coming and I bought it)
Rachet and Clank
Days Gone

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought around £400 worth of games for £129 in the Xbox Black Friday sale.

Buying in sales almost feels like I haven't wasted my money on a backlog.

Almost.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a backlog and it makes me feel good.

There are games that I didn't finish but I don't plan on playing them.

El Mariachi

Oct 31, 2017
Austria
Currently on 11. Just bought 2 games on PSN sale which is the reason why I won't buy any games with the PS5 next week and will soley focus on Astro and my PS4 games. Think I might finally tackle Death Stranding and Darks Souls 3 before buying Demons Souls.

Pretty sure I'm clear my complete backlog in the coming months.