• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
North London, but I round some of my vowels on occasion and get accused of sounding a little Australian / US, it's weird.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
"Bad hombre Mexicano who's never been to an English speaking country" accent. I was told once by an American friend that I sound a bit Texan, I'm not sure how to feel about that :P

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
From the Black Country but don't have much of that accent or a Birmingham accent thankfully. Plenty of words and phrases are used and pronounced certain ways because of where you grow up though whatever your accent is. My best friend from 6/7 onwards was from Southampton so I think I developed a bit of a more neutral English accent because of that.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Scottish but I've been living in non English speaking countries for 20 years so it's an easy to understand, well spoken Scottish accent.
There are many worse accents to have so I'm quite happy with it.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Parents from northern Alabama but I grew up in New England. I have neither accent although sometahms I staurt sayun things lahk "yawl". Lived in IL and Wiscahnsin fer around 7-8 years so ockeesionely I faal intu gennerl Midwaistern.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
This is my reading voice. It's a page from a Terry Pratchett novel I happened to have around. This was take two, with a lot less stumbling. My normal speaking voice is a little more heavily accented and I normally speak much faster. This is a fairly typical educated Sunderland accent.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I might record myself tomorrow but it's late and the walls are cardboard thin lol.

When speaking English I have an unmistakable French accent, with some kiwi influence since that's what I've been hearing every day for the last decade. Mostly French though.

When speaking French I have a relatively standard accent (as in, close to way the government thinks it should be spoken) as I lived my early teen years in the centre of France. The way I pronounce the 'O' sounds is a bit screwed up though, as in my original accent (relatively heavy rural Alsatian accent), a lot of words use the opposite 'O' sound to that you'd use in standard French, so I don't actually know which one to use. I also still use some regional words that wouldn't be understood by most other French speakers.

If I talk to other people from Alsace I'll quickly regain my original accent though. The most noticeable feature of the accent is the way you stress words (which you don't do in standard French) – the first vowel of each word (especially when you want to emphasize the word) gets elongated which makes the cadence of your speech sound really different.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
West Coast of Scotland.
I've lived in Edinburgh and Preston for the last 20 years so it probably would sound a bit wonky to someone still living on the west coast all their life.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm from Reading which is not far out of London so I guess just a generic south of England accent

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
South African Afrikaans accent. Whenever I travel overseas people always want to try and guess.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
minor southern elements with hints of cockney, but mostly neutral american

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I used to have a Boston-area accent until I moved out of the state at age 14. I never thought about how I talked being accented until I moved and it seemed like everybody was making fun of me for it. They'd tell me to say certain words, then laugh, and repeat it back to me in a way that was supposed to mimic me but sounded completely different than what I said. It was really upsetting. I felt like I was constantly being gaslit about how I actually spoke and how I actually sounded.

Because of this, over my first few years of high school, I deliberately suppressed my accent and tried to talk how everyone else talked (which I already thought I did).

So now I don't have much of a Boston accent but I still have traces of it. I say "er" and "em" instead of her and him/them, for example. I probably sound vaguely northeastern American now but I don't think I at all sound "Bostonian" anymore.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Autistic.

Seriously, since forever I've occasionally gotten asked where my accent is from, and never had a good answer. Then eventually I was talking to a psychiatrist, end up diagnosed as on the spectrum, and one of my symptoms is unusual speech patterns.

This is cool actually. I know somebody like this too. He speaks with a really distinct cadence that's vaguely classic Trans Atlantic but is slow and measured like he's reading for radio. It's like a combination of Orson Welles and Casey Kasem.

It can sometimes be frustrating for him because people think he's faking it and ask him why he's talking like that. But once he explains it is his actual normal speaking voice people think it's awesome.

To speak like him would probably take months or even years of coaching and listening to old recordings but for him it's completely innate. People tell him he should be an announcer of some kind or a character voice actor but he has no interest in it.

Anyway, that's my anecdote. I wonder if there is any consistency between the inflections and patterns people on the spectrum can develop or if it's totally unique to each person.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
From the Black Country but don't have much of that accent or a Birmingham accent thankfully. Plenty of words and phrases are used and pronounced certain ways because of where you grow up though whatever your accent is. My best friend from 6/7 onwards was from Southampton so I think I developed a bit of a more neutral English accent because of that.
Aye nuthin rung wiv spaykin loik a Yam yam, bab.
Cradley born and the accent increases the further I get back up the M1 ;)

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Asian accent. A while ago, when I was playing destiny with a group on gaf/era someone mention I had a sweden accent. Threw me off cause I def have a clear Asian accent.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
A mix between generic urban American (what you hear on TV), Austin, and at times middle Tennessee and Ohio come out depending on who I'm talking to.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
U.S. Southern. A little east of Atlanta to be more specific. I can suppress it a bit if I talk slower, but I naturally talk a little fast so it can be fairly heavy if I'm not paying attention. And I've been told once or twice I sound like a fucking redneck when drunk.

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh - so uh yeah...I try to keep it in check. I got to travel to the New England area for work a few times and those accents are something else lol, I actually kind of dig it.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
A confusing mess of York and Geordie resulting in a vaguely Northern English accent which confuses anyone who thinks about it too hard

My favourite accent I've come across was a lovely Spanish lady I met in Geneva. She had spent a few years in Belfast, so had a wonderful Spanish-Irish accent

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Canadian plains/prairie. Pretty similar, but not as exaggerated as the Minnesota accent you hear on Fargo. I'm aware of how it sounds though and try to mask it a bit when I'm working or on voice chat. I also say "soda" now instead of "pop" because people on the internet getting outraged and driven to a state of frenzy at the sight of the word "pop" got old years ago.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
A CA or west coast accent.

There is no such thing as not having an accent.