• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Autistic.

Seriously, since forever I've occasionally gotten asked where my accent is from, and never had a good answer. Then eventually I was talking to a psychiatrist, end up diagnosed as on the spectrum, and one of my symptoms is unusual speech patterns.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Scouse, what I usually find is most people from the UK hate it, people outside of the UK seem to like it better. I honestly don't like hearing the accent myself if I listen to someone on TV or any type of recording of it being spoken, I don't really notice it when in a normal conversation though.

BRsomebody

Oct 28, 2017
Doylestown, PA
I'm from around Philadelphia and a lot less people say "you's guys" and "wooder" from that video on page 1. If anything, that's more of an older South Jersey thing. I don't know anyone that is my age that says "wooder" instead of "wahter" when referring to water.
I've lived in Erie for school though and I've definitely noticed a lot less punctuation emphasis and words flowing together more there than here.
The "yinz" thing in Pittsburgh physically hurts me.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Mine is the hyper-cultivated Australian accent you get from being a shy bookish kid who learned English from his very proper schoolteachers. I get mistaken for being English all the time, even by other Aussies. One of my bosses complemented me on on speaking "the Queen's English" and recently a woman we sold a baby capsule to said I sounded like Adam Golding.

Which is a good thing maybe? All I know is that my voice is deep but not very intimidating.

EDIT: Turns out I recorded myself a few years ago
You got a voice like butter. For some reason I can just imagine listening to you read books over the radio as I sit in a traffic jam.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
West Yorkshire, but I code switch to cockney if I'm i London or around Londoners because my ma is one of those.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I recorded myself reading this: https://vocaroo.com/i/s0ZL8XakvpL9 (bit quiet).

I'd like to know what people think.
You're definitely Irish. I can't tell where from though.
Southern English or inner city Australian is what I hear without checking.
You got a voice like butter. For some reason I can just imagine listening to you read books over the radio as I sit in a traffic jam.
Aw shucks

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I talk normal American, unlike those wacky Southerners, Northerners, Westerners, and Easterners. Why can't everybody talk with absolutely no trace of an accent, like me?

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone has an accent. Yes, that includes every single one of you Americans too.

Mine is Scouse.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Autistic.

Seriously, since forever I've occasionally gotten asked where my accent is from, and never had a good answer. Then eventually I was talking to a psychiatrist, end up diagnosed as on the spectrum, and one of my symptoms is unusual speech patterns.
Yesh, this is probably the actual reason my accent deviates from the rest of my family.
Not that I'm complaining, it makes me feel unique.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say I have a mild-medium Northern Irish accent, people usually have problems deciphering my sentences, it also doesn't help I speak fairly low and mumble sometimes.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Born and raised in Washington state but get the "you sound like you from Cali" every so often. But it's nothing all that noticeable, at least here in the US.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I'm from the east of the Netherlands and I have a pretty thick accent that every Dutch person would recognize. Luckily, I don't really have an accent when I speak English, contrary to most of my countrymen.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Cheshire. Which, despite being just near Manchester, is not what most people would peg as a Northern or Manc accent.

I sound nondescript British, basically. Not as refined as an RP accent (although I was taught one, and I can switch to it on command) but nowhere near as broad as, say, the Northern accents on Game of Thrones.

I also spent several years as a kid living in France, so I lost even more of the identifiable characteristics of my accent there. Oh, and I was born in Bristol, just to complicate matters even further.

Oct 26, 2017
General American. Vocabulary is the only thing that really gets called out, always got called out on the east coast for saying pop. Having lived abroad, vocabulary is even more of an issue but accent still alright

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
Autistic.

Interesting, I'm also on the spectrum and have unusual speech patterns. I hide it unless around super close family because in my case it makes me really embarrassed, it's like a high pitch almost little kid voice, kind of like what some people do when talking to there pets. Luckily it only comes out when I'm super excited and I can keep myself from doing it in public. Because it would look really strange since I kind of look like one of the super serious enforces dudes from sons of anarchy lol.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
American. Some slight Southern can come out depending on the words, people I'm with or how much I drink.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Some kind of American English with slight Spanish intonation. My Korean is probably similarly broken, although Korean speakers have noted that my Korean has hints of Gyungsang dialect. My Spanish is the Venezuelan kind.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
northern irish, so gibberish essentially to anyone from any other country in the world

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think I mostly have your standard boring Americanish accent, but I do know that if I get excited or even just talk for too long, everything starts to come out kind of cutesy, I guess? Don't even know how to describe it or if it would count as an accent lol

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
PNW, which feels like one of those non-accents.

People outside of here can't really pronounce Oregon though, it seems.

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Doric - Scotland. Foo's yer doos n a that.

Not sure if the accent changes when I try to make myself understandable but I have to stop using local words and use proper English ones.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
A slight Boston accent. Most of the time I sound completely average but some words or if I'm angry i slip into it a bit.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I've been told I sound British when I speak English. I'm not from the UK, however.

I think a UK native might be able to suss me out, if not from how I pronounce certain words, then from my vocabulary, as most of that I've adapted from American media.

Oct 25, 2017
North Down. It's not really what you'd expect from an Irish or Northern Irish accent, so nobody can ever work out where I'm from.

The accents change drastically every 20km in Ireland, so it's always weird to me that a country as vast as the US can have anything approaching a "general American" accent.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
People can tell I am American from the way I speak, but thats it. Its not notable enough like Southern or NY accents

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty neutral, Midwest American.

Pretty neutral from your perspective of living in or coming from that area.

Believe me, your accent will be very, very far from neutral for me. Pretty sure I'd find it quite strong.

I am constantly amazed by people who don't understand what accents are (see the OP thinking he doesn't have one) or that their region is somehow the centre of everything and considered the neutral place.

I speak with a Warwickshire accent. Most Brits don't know what a Warwickshire accent is as it is a small county made up entirely of towns and villages. I gew up less than 20 miles from Birmingham, so thank fuck I don't have that accent.

I also grew up pretty much on the Trap-Bath Split so I'm a bit all over the place when it comes to that. I tend to the northern style, but occasionally drop into the southern style. My sister, who grew up in the same house, is exclusively southern in that respect.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I have a West-Flemish accent, if you want to know what that sounds like, here is a song
When I speak English it's American. I was an outlier back when I was studying English and everyone in my class wanted to sound as posh British as possible.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
My German is mic of high German and Pott Deutsch. Lived my whole teenage and adult life there.

my English starts with a strong German accent but after a whileI slowly blend in.