• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's wrong with fan service?

• There's nothing wrong with fan-service; just a bunch of "no fun allowed" persons

Votes: 168 59.6%
  • Everything; lazy gimmick that adds nothing

Votes: 114 40.4%

• Total voters

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
It honestly baffles me that there are people who enjoy being pandered to. That kind of thing only makes me feel as if my intelligence has been insulted.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
in rogue one case, you could remove the vader scene, and the plot would be unchanged.

also, i dont see anything wrong with it, it is literally just fan service.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Endgame is one of the best examples of fanservice, because while it is calling out to fans with references and payoffs often, it's all in service of the story. Cap in the elevator with the Hydra agents is a great example -- a specific (and inverse) callback to Winter Soldier that's both a "hey remember this" moment to fans AND a story beat that deliberately plays off that familiarity in order to advance the scene.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Your mistake is in assuming that fan service is all good or all bad. In the case of Endgame it felt completely earned, I could understand someone thinking the Vader scene felt forced and pandering.

It's nice when storytellers don't just rely on nostalgia crutches and actually try to tell a new story or at least deliver a payoff that feels earned over time.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
The scene at the end of Rogue One is not fan service.

It's obviously tieing in Rogue One to A New Hope. We're getting a glimpse of the beginning of the chase.

How is that fan service? Needs more definition.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
In small doses it's fine, but in Anime, they go way overboard with it. Sometimes even including minors which is why i don't watch much Anime.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
anime style fan service is ridiculously cringe

female characters introduced with their breasts jiggling all over the screen

revealing clothing for no reason (i dont know if this is better or worse than flimsy "in-universe" reasons that nerds can use to justify it)

and their ages. make them 21! make them 18! just make them ADULTS at least!

ill never forget reading the Fairy Tail wiki just to see what was happening and this shot was there as if its totally normal

mlGzTlz.png

im a straight male and i cant stand this shit

Oct 25, 2017
Fan service, as in primarily focused on appealing to fans rather than a more personal or technically minded artistic goal, is not inherently bad, but predictive or worse outcomes. The Vader hallway is kind of silly but still works on some level, but most everything in TFA that was fan service was doggy doo doo and easily made the movie worse, like distracting moments of Finn finding the little training ball or R2D2 waking up at the end.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
There's nothing wrong with it but you can't go too overboard with it or your thing isn't going to hold up down the road. It only really works once.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing wrong with it for the most part. Particularly in something like rogue one. I don't know how you logically watch that movie and get mad because there's OT characters in it.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Fan service, when it's in the way of actual creative goals, is unbearable.

In the case of the Vader hallway scene, it's merely annoying because - when telling the tragic story of all the people who sacrificed their lives on the ground - they decided to cut away to this weird scene of Vader killing multiple rebels which nullified whatever creative weight they just created for the main characters.

There are varying degrees of fan service and I don't think there's a hard and fast rule on what's good and bad, it's just when it feels like its goals get in the way of actual story telling goals that it feels painful.

Things like Chewbacca getting his medal at the end of TROS for some random reason or that weird bra scene of Alice Eve in Star Trek Into Darkness are just unnecessary and feel grossly pandering.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Awkwardly inserting R2D2 and C3PO in an out-of-place shot did not improve the film and the only reason to include it was to coast on nostalgia for a better film.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing inherently. I definitely think it doesn't work as well when it's extremely contrived and can be jarring or grating, but otherwise I think it can be fun and make something more entertaining.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It is easier to type than an essay covering the nuances and corner cases.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think fan service is inherently bad, but I generally don't like it and Rogue One is a really strong example where I don't.

The Vader scene is especially dumb in my book since I find that it actually makes the beginning of ANH seem really weird. Leia's entire attitude and some of Vader's dialogue don't work at all. No plans were beamed to the ship, they were literally handed off as he murdered them all. The ship was not on a covert mission, it was running from a huge fucking battle, which makes Leia's cover story seem real dumb especially as she's lying right to the face of the guy who watched the fucking ship fly away. But we had Vader in the movie, and you can't have Darth Vader show up with swinging the lightsaber around. Star Wars is especially bad with fan service in my book, and it's a problem that goes back to Episode 1.

It feels like pandering a lot of the time. Tell me a good story, show me things that are exciting and new and remind me why I love a franchise to begin and you'll have given me a lot more as a fan.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I like fan service if it's relevant and executed well(like in Endgame or Rogue One).

It's only bad when it's tacked on for the sake of having fan service.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
Awkwardly inserting R2D2 and C3PO in an out-of-place shot did not improve the film and the only reason to include it was to coast on nostalgia for a better film.

I liked that it hinted at them being deeper in the Rebellion than first shown but I see your point. I actually think the only "hey, you remember that?!" moment that took me out of RO was the little cameo from Ponda Baba and Cornelius Evazan.

Other Star Wars are MUCH more guilty of this but that's an argument that's been had here many, many times.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Poll needs a middle option in the rare times fanservice works because it's an important part of the story and not tacked on bullshit. lol

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that Vadar scene is a good example of fan service. Neither is Avengers: Endgame.

On the other hand, anime fanservice is peak cringe and will turn me off of shows entirely.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what was wrong with the Vader scene in Rogue One honestly. Let's not pretend SW is very sophisticated or smart, some dumb & cool fun like Vader being a badass is not out of the ordinary and it was.. well, cool to watch. If you'd like to be bitter because it "doesn't fit the rest of the movie" well be my guest.

Same with the MCU movies. The fan-service in Endgame was great and I'm sure every fan was ecstatic in the Cap & Mjolnir + portal scene.

Anime fan service though...(the sexual one) yeah that's pretty crap in general.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Depends, it can be rewarding or it can be exploitative.

Rewarding: Beloved minor character gets a day in the spotlight.
Exploitative: Beloved minor character gets promoted to regular and makes no sense being put into new contexts that come with being a regular.

I would honestly put Rogue One in that category for the Vader scene. It was short, sweet and made sense in the context of the story (to tie into his appearance at the beginning of a New Hope).

Good fan service is icing on the cake; bad fan service tries to replace the cake with icing.

Gparan

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
There is nothing wrong with trowing in nods to fans of a franchise that only they will understand. Fan service can be done well and it can be awful it all depends on the execution.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Non-anime fanservice varies in intent and execution. Anime fanservice is trash.

Oct 30, 2017
I think it depends on how it's used. Fan service can be good/fun or bad/insulting depending on the type and reasons used

The anime Godanner, for instance. Thankfully this dreck seems to have largely been forgotten. It was a super robot series. It had "good" fanservice in the form of overly detailed mecha transformations and combination sequences, but with rife with "bad" fanservice as well, which generally took the form of objectifying EVERY. SINGLE. FEMALE. CHARACTER. Pretty much every scene that had a female character in it included fan service objectifying them. Breast jiggles, overly tight outfits, shots focusing on their butts or breasts, you get the idea. One scene that stood out was a character getting on a bike, but because of rampant fanservice, the director decided to have her skirt flip up and fall in ridiculously slow motion that didn't match the speed the rest of the scene was moving in. Like, the hang time her skirt had was defying gravity. That's bad fanservice.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
It's a tool like any other. The effect depends on the implementation.

See MCU vs Star Wars sequel trilogy.

Anime fanservice is generally poor.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what kind of fanservice. If the story constantly stops so the camera can focus on it (most lewd anime fanservice, half the callbacks in new Star Wars trilogy), then it becomes fucking obnoxious. If it's part of the plot (most of Endgame) or part of the background (cameo characters walking by), then it's fine.