• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
latest

I've seen some criticism based on how Dante was depicted in DMC4 and it had me wondering, why is that? Is it due to his appearance, which I hear folks say looks silly and also his mannerism as someone once said he's basically Bugs Bunny in this game. So I wanted to ask, what is wrong with Dante in this game?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Dante's an ass.

You wouldn't drink a beer with him. Admit it. He wouldn't care about you.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Other than the fact that he doesn't really seem like he wants to be there, nothing.

Uncle Dante is fine, but it feels like even he's over 4's weak plotline.

calloumiii

Sep 14, 2018
Uncle Dante is his best incarnation, with DMC3 a bit behind.

As for DMC5 Dante, something about him really rubbed me the wrong way. Didn't like him much at all.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I liked him in 4, it reminded me of Metal Gear Solid 2 where you see the hero from the previous games from someone else's perspective and you get to appreciate how cool they are. Except in MGS2 you played Snake in the first part, and in DMCIV it's the opposite.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Dante's a goofball because he's powerful af and almost anyone is anything resembling a challenge, so he tries to have fun. Also a bit of a dick.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Rueben Langdon being a bellend.

But in terms of the character himself, it seemed like he had no real stake in the entire game compared to Nero. And also Dante's section was pretty much just backtracking all the bosses and fighting The Savior.

Rebellion82

Jan 9, 2020
His outfit sucks for one thing ;) But here are my grievances with him. Gameplay-wise he has access to all our his styles, but they feel gimped from their levels in dmc3 and the enemies all feel like they're designed mostly around Nero, so Dante isn't as much fun at a causal level, and that's before you talk about his actual levels.

DMC4 is also the first game with an actual story that really treats Dante as being invincible which is a negative imo. Also, some fans thought immature DMC3 Dante would turn into DMC1 Dante cool, honorable, chill, but full of swagger Dante. Instead Dante became this unstoppable meme machine, which can be fun, but isn't as cool as Honorable trash talker Dante. After dmc1 Dante was powerful, but wasn't invincible. He only beat mundus because he used Sparda and then got a temporary power boost from Trish that still didn't kill mundus. DMC2 was DMC2 and Dante seemed OP, but you could easily clear that up by saying the 2 demons were weaker than mundus or ignoring it like they did for years. But in dmc4 Dante is portrayed as invincible and treated everything like a joke. Now the team acts like Dante is too strong to be the MC of the series. I obviously disagree with that lol

DMC5 Dante came off as an ass cause all of a sudden he was super about killing his brother and was more rude with Nero and Patty, which goes against his more playful and chill personality from the previous games. He needed a few cutscenes to establish that he cared about all the victims, his friends, and show why he was so determined to kill Vergil. If you follow the series you can make up reasons why, but it should have been shown. We needed to see more of Dante's inner turmoil then we received.

Oct 27, 2017
He seems self aware that he's more of a supporting role/deus ex in 4

You get the feeling this is the most important day in Nero's life but for Dante it's tuesday

My only issue is I wish there was more him in cut scenes and his gameplay sections were not the same game backwards

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
for Nero the battles are life or death but for Dante they're not even a challenge so he's just having fun with it and being goofy

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I loved how he was above Nero's drama. He's like Sassy Obi-Wan in Luke's story.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Uncle Dante is best Dante

could do without the chaps though. But Dante strikes me as the kind of weirdo who would weir something just to be mildly annoying

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
His outfit sucks for one thing ;) But here are my grievances with him. Gameplay-wise he has access to all our his styles, but they feel gimped from their levels in dmc3 and the enemies all feel like they're designed mostly around Nero, so Dante isn't as much fun at a causal level, and that's before you talk about his actual levels.

DMC4 is also the first game with an actual story that really treats Dante as being invincible which is a negative imo. Also, some fans thought immature DMC3 Dante would turn into DMC1 Dante cool, honorable, chill, but full of swagger Dante. Instead Dante became this unstoppable meme machine, which can be fun, but isn't as cool as Honorable trash talker Dante. After dmc1 Dante was powerful, but wasn't invincible. He only beat mundus because he used Sparda and then got a temporary power boost from Trish that still didn't kill mundus. DMC2 was DMC2 and Dante seemed OP, but you could easily clear that up by saying the 2 demons were weaker than mundus or ignoring it like they did for years. But in dmc4 Dante is portrayed as invincible and treated everything like a joke. Now the team acts like Dante is too strong to be the MC of the series. I obviously disagree with that lol

DMC5 Dante came off as an ass cause all of a sudden he was super about killing his brother and was more rude with Nero and Patty, which goes against his more playful and chill personality from the previous games. He needed a few cutscenes to establish that he cared about all the victims, his friends, and show why he was so determined to kill Vergil. If you follow the series you can make up reasons why, but it should have been shown. We needed to see more of Dante's inner turmoil then we received.
Yeah, this.

4 was basically the moment when the character derail started and 5 was when it was clear that Bingo Morihashi and Hideaki Itsuno really just have no idea how to write for Dante.

Needless to say, I don't have much hope for any improvements, until some changes are made.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
DMC4 may be my favourite depiction of Dante to be honest. I love when the previous main character of a series is still hanging around and having him run around like a Looney Tunes character while also kind of being the mentor is great.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Dante not giving a single shit about DMC4's shitty story is one of the greatest punchlines in video games

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DMC3 started the portrayal of Wacky Wahoo Pizza Man while also justifying it as Dante being young but still incredibly powerful to pivot away from DMC2's portrayal (which has since been retroactively justified as Dante being in a horrible mood after Vergil's death in DMC1).

In DMC4 there's still a little bit of this, you kind of need Dante to play up his antics to contrast Nero, but for the most part he's just like this now because that's how they wanted to write him at the time, though it helps that he has zero personal stakes in what's going on and even ends the game knowing he's got family out there he never knew about.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not saying it's definitely homophobia, but remember that time someone from Ninja Theory made a tone deaf gay joke about how they changed DmC Dante so he isn't too gay, like he apparently is in DMC4? No homo, bros.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Uncle Dante is his best incarnation, with DMC3 a bit behind.

As for DMC5 Dante, something about him really rubbed me the wrong way. Didn't like him much at all.
Felt it was a case of the game not quite knowing what tone to settle with him, on top of just being sidelined for most of the game. There's a bit of an awkward expectancy of him to be his jocular DMC4 incarnation while still contending with the fact that DMC5 was meant to be the chapter where he brings about closure to the ongoing story, so the end result felt like a mixed bag where Dante obfuscates both his knowledge and feelings toward not just Nero but the audience. It's the one DMC game where Dante doesn't really feel like an honest character, which in a way is partially the point I suppose, but the game itself doesn't really feel like it's consciously written that way.

I also kinda felt Langdon's performance in the game was a bit low-grade. His parting line delivery during Griffon's death stood out in particular as really insincere, like he's still trying to keep up a cool look during some of the more solemn moments.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I don't think people had a problem with Dante, just people had a problem with Dante becoming a side character in favor of Nero.

However, those peoples opinions do not matter, because Nero rules.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I mean his character is fairly different and even conflicting between all the games, so I just considered it par the course that he'd be different tbh. He's always been pretty uninterested in things though, which is why I didn't really like him much as an MC. Think he works much better as a support tbh.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
He looks like dollar store Tom Cruise, which is weird and in 5 he looks pretty creepy and sneaky old. I dont think theyve got a good face design for him in a while

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like his pants in 4. I thought his depiction was fine, but I know people hate humor (especially snarky Marvel humor) so I can see why people wouldn't like a jokey trickster like Dante.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
He looks like dollar store Tom Cruise, which is weird and in 5 he looks pretty creepy and sneaky old. I dont think theyve got a good face design for him in a while
I feel like Dante's sketchy appearance is part of who he is. He aged way worse than Vergil (who, let's face it, had the benefit of being brought back in perfect form basically) because he doesn't take care of himself and is generally a hedonist.

I liked him in 4. DMC4 isn't really his story. He's there for the players to have something to be familiar with. His entire segment of the game is basically one giant playable cameo appearance. This is Nero's first journey, but it's just an everyday experience for Dante. I like that contrast, the MGS2 comparison is a good one.

I have many problems with 4's story, but Dante ain't one of them.

In the novel, Trish sees him using Yamato to destroy a hellgate, and somehow it shows her, how Vergil still has a special place in Dante's heart - something among those lines. (I don't remember the wording too clearly, and the grammar of the translation was hot garbage anyway.) I missed something like this in the game, where he's barely mentioned at all.

Dante's hairstyle was never better, I like the black top, belt is neat, coat is ok. Pants are godawful, though.