• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Seems to have started within the last 1-2 days.

ResetEra.png

I'll have CPU usage hitting 20% per tab when Era is open. Multiple tabs can max the CPU easily, and even one is enough to cause input lag when typing.

Only happens on Era. Any other website is fine.

Minarik

Nov 9, 2017
I'm on mobile at the moment and can't evaluate, but don't some sites use visitors to mine crypto?

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
do you have any userscripts running on resetera?

also run a virus scan and stuff

cause i cant tell why your cpu usage and ram usage for this site is so high

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Modern browsers are awful... I'll never understand how a single browser tab is using 20% of CPU resources and 1.4GB of ram...

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
Is it the same if you refresh? Have you closed it completely and reopened it? What about incognito mode?

I have like 15 tabs open in chrome including ERA and am only using like 1.6 GB.

Oct 25, 2017
If you Ctrl-F5 repeatedly and wait for it to fully load, is it the same every time?

Is it the same on every thread or just certain threads?

Does it still happen for incognito mode?

I still get malicious mobile popups / tab deletion ads so I wouldn't be surprised if malicious ads are part of it.

Goldfishking

Oct 27, 2017
The site has some serious issues with performance on non-wifi devices according to google pagespeed insights. With a low score of just 41%.

https://developers.google.com/speed...s/whats-with-the-high-cpu-usage-on-era.87677/

Basically comes down to A BUNCH of unused CSS, tyche.js taking over a second to load (wtf is up with this one?) and a lack of deferred css.

On the plus side the server response time is high, everything is minified and Images are handled well. Just needs a little TLC.

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Does that happen with Edge only?
I use Chrome and haven't seen any weird CPU use spikes.

I have Firefox and my CPU usage is in the single digits.

I use Edge as a default, mostly because of the Bing rewards. ;)

Seriously though, most of the time it's fine. ~90 open tabs and ~3-4% CPU usage for Edge with ~4-5% total CPU.

Do nothing else but open Era and I'm spiking to 75-80% total CPU.

It was working fine recently, so I was assuming there was some sort of change.

If you Ctrl-F5 repeatedly and wait for it to fully load, is it the same every time?

Is it the same on every thread or just certain threads?

Does it still happen for incognito mode?

I still get malicious mobile popups / tab deletion ads so I wouldn't be surprised if malicious ads are part of it.

Happens with pretty much every thread. Including this one.

I'll try a different browser just for Era.

The site has some serious issues with performance on non-wifi devices according to google pagespeed insights. With a low score of just 41%.

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https://www.resetera.com/threads/whats-with-the-high-cpu-usage-on-era.87677/

Basically comes down to A BUNCH of unused CSS, tyche.js taking over a second to load (wtf is up with this one?) and a lack of deferred css.

On the plus side the server response time is high, everything is minified and Images are handled well. Just needs a little TLC.

I wonder if some of those scripts are just continually running under Edge.

BobZhn

Nov 17, 2017
SE Asia
Also seeing the CPU spike on W7x64 Firefox58. Though I have googletagmanager dot com and intergi dot com blocked. Most likely one of the scripts running causing the issue.

On rechecking seeing up to 30% CPU on thread detail page load, constant 10%+ after all loaded, no animated GIFs.

Thread listing page is more CPU friendly, only 2% CPU when idle.

Don't recall such issue on the old site.

Last edited:

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not doing anything on my version of Edge, with or without adblocking sits at 0% CPU.

EDIT: Now that I've posted in this thread, it's sitting at 8%. lawl.

EDIT: It's definietely having a party by itself... (From a profiling session of me just watching this static thread for 15 seconds)

perf.jpg

Last edited:

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
The site is a total bog after the update unfortunately. You never know what you're going to get when you hit back, and sometimes it takes forever to load the main page, which is only just text and shouldn't take so long. Pieces of the website swoop in from the left side sometimes and sometimes they don't. It's nice otherwise

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
When you get to that kind of persistent CPU usage, it's worth looking at load per core. If its pegging 1 core at 100% then something single threaded is just consuming an entire thread regardless of performance.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having this issue on my work computer. Some of the programs we use won't work with the amount of ram being used by the site currently. I have to close the tabs and reopen them to get the ram and cpu usage down. I'm not sure if it's the site or the ads being served, but leaving a tab open for an extended period of time slowly uses up all the ram and has excessive cpu usage.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I had issues with the big purple banner at the bottom of the page, my PC starts to lag like crazy when I scroll to there, so I blocked it with uBlock Origin and my issues were gone.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
RESETERA IS USING YOUR CPU FOR BITCOIN MINING!

Probably something to do with the 2.0, don't you think?

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
I struggled to get that much CPU useage out of FF to test OP. I think I DDOSd Era for a sec with my rampant gesture usage :p

RfXxMua.jpg

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about this specifically but honestly ever since the recent "upgrade" this site runs pretty poorly.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
There's a lot of bloated features that I don't care for that move around the page, like the one that tells you there are more posts.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume bitcoin mining. The question now becomes: which moderator is behind this and how do we stop them?

Skoje

Oct 26, 2017
I've noticed this before the upgrade, but for me it was using a ridiculous amount of RAM

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
There's so much sketchiness surrounding ads. "Please do not talk about them anywhere else but in this thread no one will respond to." Either mining something external or mining our data for resell. We are pure $$$ to admin who saw an opportunity in a mass amount of people jumping ship, relative to this being someone's passion project