• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rijapega

Banned
Dec 23, 2019
Like seriously .. I feel like ever since COVID started there have been a lot more people who believe in conspiracy theories? And like weird ones that don't even make any sense, like flat earth and stuff like that.

Also, I don't want to generalize but most of the people that I have spoken with that believe in this sort of stuff are AMLO supporters (Here in Mexico AMLO is like a politician that appeals to the masses, to the poorer population, lots of promises but doesn't actually deliver on them and yet he has an almost God-like status, kind of like USA's Trump back when he was president) and they are also kind of misogynistic in their 50s.

Let me give you two examples of what I am talking about:

The first is something that happened around a month ago. We went to a friend's wedding and gave a ride to one of my friend's uncles. He started the conversation with how girls had become (his words) way sluttier after the 90s, and that it had been because of some bs Mayan stuff or something like that, the stars had aligned and... I don't even remember, but yeah ok. So, ok I thought this guy believes in pseudo-science, let's just keep driving while listing to his bs. Whatever. But then he started talking about the war in Ukraine, and how Russia was right and the US had weapons over there and... Let's just say that's where I got kind of pissed and the conversation got a bit heated (without being disrespectful, as this was my friend's uncle).

The other experience I have had is with an uncle of mine, he is single, in his 50s, misogynistic, pseudo-science believer, almost anti-vaxxer (Didn't get the 3rd shoot +), AMLO supporter, pro-Russian (more like, America does it too, but no one cares about them, right? kind of attitude). It's pretty much the exact same set of beliefs my friend's uncle had.
My uncle has always been kind of a weird guy, but I try to make small talk from time to time with him, and last Saturday I hung out with him for a bit, drank a couple of beers, but the conversations with him... They just have become unbearable, like I just can't talk with him because he will just say dumb stuff and I kind of get angry because it doesn't even make any sense at all. Last week he denied there was a water shortage in Nuevo Leon (Nuevo Leon is a state in Mexico where currently they are cutting water for one day per week, in some cases two, in parts of the state, every city gets water cut once per week at least) and he said that it was all a lie, that the government was controlled by (insert BS sect/alien race) and they were keeping the water reserves.

And heck... Ok, let's suppose this was true, the world is controlled by anunakis and lizard people ok.. yeah... But seriously, what's the point of dedicating a lot of time of your life to watching videos about this and discussing this, like that wouldn't change a thing.

*Gasp* I guess I just wanted to vent a bit lol

So, my question is ERA... Have you spoken with people like this? Like how do you change the topic, for example with my uncle it seems like whatever you are talking about he will try to turn the conversation into some BS conspiracy or anunakis or illuminatis or reptilians.

Also, like guys what do you think is the point of all of this? Do you suspect this is an agenda worldwide, because i have seen in the USA threads about Qanon, and even here in Mexico more and more people are falling into this kind of stuff (and again, the profile I think they are targeting is 50-somethings that are alone and gullible)?

Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot of gullible people in this world. Susceptible to confirmation bias and we get to this point.

Marz

Oct 30, 2017
My gf was arguing with me about lizard people the other day and I was starting to get really upset. I have no idea anymore

Mar 30, 2019
I suspect in the before times people were just politely hiding it. Now it is a free-for-all with whatever you can find on the internet or exposed on whatever passes for TV these days.

Even my mom has been telling me weird things, just bonkers stuff, similar Annunaki stuff like you mentioned. But she is still my moms and I just gently talk with her to see how she is and spend time with her. Most of what she believes is harmless, I only interject if something harmful needs to be clarified.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
On the subway on the way home today there were a couple of guys having a loud conversation about HAARP, agent orange, helicopters spraying parks in the early morning, and vaccines.

They wanted to make sure everyone in the car could hear their conversation.

So fucking sick of it. Even my brother tried to feed me a conspiracy about the coming rolling blackouts the other day. I just ignored his texts.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Big money has more interest in these silly conspiracies over what's actually going on, capitalism and taking advantage of the working class. If they can't understand that I don't bother.

RedCrake

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, GA
Unless they aren't too far gone and can be reasoned with, you don't deal with them. You can't reason with unreasonable people.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Its the cult of secret knowledge. They would have to deprogram to get back to a normal place. The problem is getting them to do that, and keeping them away from all this conspiracy grift.

Dec 30, 2020
Read Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco.

After a certain point the idea of a vast, endless secret is the only thing they've got.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I try to out-conspiracy them, usually ending with them being accused of being in a weird peanut-butter sex cult.

Jul 16, 2020
I think website algorithms are partially to blame. If I pause briefly on some nut job conspiracy theory on Reddit, just trying to understand what the hell they're talking about, the site will dump tons of conspiracy junk into my feed. I imagine if I read more of it, my feed would eventually be all conspiracy theories.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Challenge them and see if they're willing to listen, and if they're not, then ignore them since there's no point in engaging people who have no interest.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
It's what happens when people have too much free time and not enough "real" problems to deal with. But a lot of these conspiracy people have always been around but the internet and other means of communication allows them to congregate more.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
It's what happens when people have too much free time and not enough "real" problems to deal with. But a lot of these conspiracy people have always been around but the internet and other means of communication allows them to congregate more.
I remember being a teen in the mid 2000s finding all kinds of wacky conspiracy rabbitholes. The two biggest ones I remember were the martial law concentration camps being built around the US and some religious leader in India who was actually the anti-Christ.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta learn to yes-and them

Ask them if they've read any David Icke

Drop a Credo Mutwa ref if you're a person of taste

Oct 25, 2017
Social media allows them to find each other easier then when they had to use short wave radio.

Used to listen to Art Bell all the time as a kid but it was just fun to think about, not actually believe any of it.

Now the believers can organize in bigger numbers and come up with new nonsense.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
Ask em whether they've heard if the deros and the teros inner earth war has managed to integrate the fifth riech yet or not

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
I just don't have the energy to deal with people like that these days. I ignore them or tell them how stupid and gullible they are. I don't care.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
in the US, the government lied about the iraq war the entire time and all got off without even a slap on the wrist. to say public trust has eroded is an understatement at this point imo

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
Is the TR3B real? Did Eisenhower really sign the Graeda Treaty?! Did J Edgar Hoover really wear a feathered boa and pumps for fun?!

Most of these folks are waaay far gone. Either play with them or get ready for a full on psych session with them. Rarely a middle ground.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Honestly unless it will genuinely affect me I just laugh it off or ignore it. I've watched videos on the mindset and what has stuck with me is that usually these people have a generally distrust of authority and me trying to lay down facts or argue isn't going to be productive. I know some people I otherwise like a lot that are into conspiracy theories (or more open to them than the average person) and ngl I would probably lose some friends if I wanted to argue with them or correct them.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
1. Ignore it, because I would prefer to talk about something else
2. Call them racist or dumb for assuming assuming they are smarter than someone from a thousand years ago. Just because you can't figure out how it was done doesn't mean they didn't figure it out. Maybe you're just an idiot? (This is mostly for either ancient aliens or truthers/Pearl Harbor false flags)
3. Go all in and go past them on the absurd scale. Lizard people aren't real. They are a cover for the frog people.

OP
OP

Rijapega

Banned
Dec 23, 2019
I try to out-conspiracy them, usually ending with them being accused of being in a weird peanut-butter sex cult.

Hahaha ok this sounds like a fun thing to do. My uncle told me last time I shouldn't believe everything I hear/see (I know, ironic coming from someone that believes whatever he sees in tiktok). So next time he starts talking crazy I will just out-crazy him with some weird bs I concoct lol

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if it makes it better or worse, but I just assume they know the conspiracy theories are false, and are just acting like they are real to piss off people they don't like. Or they have seen enough other people do this in their bubble that they just assume it is normal behavior.

OP
OP

Rijapega

Banned
Dec 23, 2019
3. Go all in and go past them on the absurd scale. Lizard people aren't real. They are a cover for the frog people.

I will definitely do this lol, just keep their BS and have fun with it. I will go to absurd lengths and see just what kind of BS he believes. At least that way i will have some fun in the future conversations (Which he will obviously make about more random bs he heard on tiktok lol).

Honestly unless it will genuinely affect me I just laugh it off or ignore it. I've watched videos on the mindset and what has stuck with me is that usually these people have a general distrust of authority and me trying to lay down facts or argue isn't going to be productive. I know some people I otherwise like a lot that are into conspiracy theories (or more open to them than the average person) and ngl I would probably lose some friends if I wanted to argue with them or correct them.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. I think they have a distrust of authority. But also they like to think they are "in the know". But like when you think about it, let's entertain the possibility all that is true... What good does it do them to know all that "insider" stuff? Nothing... It's just a waste of time.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my cousin finally snapped out of the flat earth, planet nibiru nonsense. guess all it takes is for well known conspiracy people's predictions to keep failing for some to finally see the light. he's still into other conspiracy theories though. right now the main one being that there will be a nuclear war between russia and the united states so he is buying up water and other stuff to prepare. at least this one is far more realistic than the other stuff.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Act interested for a moment, ask about where they heard that from, nod my head, maybe give a raised eyebrow, then change the subject.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
I just don't have the energy so I ignore them

Regardless of what I say I'm not changing their mind

The only way to reduce is to take their megaphones away but we don't have that power

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, maybe they're lackeys of the mantids, be careful you wouldn't want to reveal any intel on the ongoing interdimensional conflict.

Preserve the alliance. The octohedron must be protected.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Dealing with conspiracy folk...

The most effective tactic that has worked for me can also be the most difficult:

Don't engage, but at the same time be unwavering in your belief that their conspiracies are fucking dumb.

In my experience, folks who fall for conspiracies aren't just falling for the communal aspect of conspiracy theories and confirmation bias; they're also drawn to being the special snowflake in the room. They want to believe that they're surrounded by sheep while they alone know The Truth. And they want people to fawn over them, to dissect them, to try to understand them, to try to reason with them, to focus on them, to "Debate me bro!" them. Trying to reason with them, 9 times out of 10, is futile, because that's want they want you to do.

Don't do what they want you to do.

Speaking anecdotally, the most explosive reaction I've gotten from conspiracy folk came from me ignoring them.

Rando at the bar: *Conspiracy nonsense*

Me: I think everything you just said was fucking stupid. Bartender, can I get another Love City IPA please? Thank youuuuu...

Rando at the bar: WHY do you think it's stupid?

Me: I'm not debating this with you. Peace be to you and your kin.

Rando at the bar: 😡

Last edited:

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I work with one. I've watched him go from apolitical to full blown Q-conspiracy nut in about 4 years. I try to deflect or ignore his BS as much as possible, but it's endlessly tiring.

It's my firm belief humans weren't ready for the internet.
Especially the older generations who grew up with what they perceived as more objective "truth". I wish I were hopeful that the generations who are growing up as internet natives will be better about not falling for this shit. Sadly, I think this might just be a human condition problem.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
Logic and critical thinking needs to be a class in schools from grade 1. You'd be lucky to hear about it in a science class in high school. And only get it as an elective in college. Now everyone on the internet is an expert and people believe anything that goes along with their preconceived notions.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
Bob Lazar was absolutely telling the truth about the little wedge shaped pieces of element 113 causing antigravity.

They went on to be used in the Aurora space plane as in orbit maneuvering thrusters.

Oh, and the Annunaki weren't actually after gold like Sitchen thought, they were actually after copper as it's a better orgone conductor for the emotional frequencies they operate at.

May 26, 2018
There's largely nothing you can do. When faced with reality, they find comfort in anti-reality.

There is cult deprogramming out there but it's not at every corner store.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Comparing AMLO to Trump is... misleading to say the least. Like some borderline horseshoe theory peddling (except AMLO ain't far left).

The other experience I have had is with an uncle of mine, he is single, in his 50s, misogynistic, pseudo-science believer, almost anti-vaxxer (Didn't get the 3rd shoot +), AMLO supporter, pro-Russian (more like, America does it too, but no one cares about them, right? kind of attitude). It's pretty much the exact same set of beliefs my friend's uncle had.

I can't speak to the misogyny, but not trusting the US is pretty much the safest bet one can make. Like, saying "we should worry more about the United States" isn't the worst take in the world, especially when they are actively funding the Palestinian genocide and purposely starving millions of people around the world through sanctions. Never mind keeping countries out of the Summit of the Americas, the kids in cages, and the continued existence of gitmo.

Not trusting the local government in Nuevo León is also understandable. That they went to aliens sucks, but there is definitely a reason why people don't trust politicians that have pulled some bullshit historically.

A lot of these seem like things a rational person should be able to speak with them about and find a lot of common ground.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of it is a coping mechanism in an ever complexifying world. Folks going with the feel good stuff what let's them in on secret knowledge.

Honestly the best thing to do is to get them focused back again on the local and the concrete rather than the distant and abstract.

Day to day, getting things done. It really is deprogramming, and not dissimilar to detox.

Sure if it's a rando at a bar you can have fun blowing them off, but if it's family that's harder.

Engage with them, joke around a bit, but be clear that this ish doesn't tie back to the real world, and that that's where folks actually live life.

Many of these folks would be much better served if they could get into communities focused on making things and creating real tangible progress.

Get them out away from the consumerist junk food media product that is conspiracy. Convince them to take responsibility for their own mind and life and outlook, and to focus on taking care of themselves and the people in their lives, rather than disappearing wholly to anxiety and fear and anger.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nen.gif

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I just tell them "I don't listen to people who are dumber than me. Wait, do YOU?!"

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I don't deal with them because...I don't give them my time of day.