• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
mind-flayer-1024x576.jpg

Getting stunned by a Mind Flayer in Demon's Souls was an awful feeling, because what followed was a terrifying, tremendously damaging attack you couldn't avoid but by sheer luck.

Last edited:

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Getting knocked down on Secret of Mana. Enemies can keep attacking your helpless corpse since they dont need to charge up for an attack. The werewolves were particularly evil about this.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
every time i get paralyzed in pokemon since i have the worst luck in the world

but for a less subjective answer, yeah stun lancers in xcom 2 suck ass

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
In League of Legends, many characters used to have 3-second long hard CC abilities.

You could do nothing but watch yourself die.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really dislike being thrown around by some of the attacks in Earth Defense Force 2 Invaders from Planet Space. Especially when it happens repeatedly.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
play pso 1 v1 and get stunlocked into oblivion by trash mobs because theres no after hit invincibility frames that allow you to try and maneuver out of a bad situation or fight back.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
The smoke grenades in Gears 2 before the patch were very stupid. They used to knock down the enemies and while they were rising you could just shoot them to death while they couldn't do anything at all to avoid it.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Lost Planet 1 was a big offender imo. You could just get chained between stagger animations while your life chipped away and your inputs did nothing.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to think of more, but all I can think of is the first Castlevania over and over. I should probably talk to my therapist about that.

TonyB

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
Accidentally hitting a chair or something mid dive in Max Payne 3 then having to watch Max ragdoll for an eternity before he gets his fat ass back off the ground.

In a game where you 90% of the time feel like an amazing badass its like the game put in a built in ego check

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Getting hit by Wrap/Fire Spin in Pokemon Gen 1 was pretty annoying, as it just left you immobilised for several turns while your health got chipped away.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
To everyone pointing out monster hunter, how are you not mentioning the stupid tremor stun? You sit there and act like there's a magnitude 20 earthquake for like 10 seconds after the tremor is over!!! I can't stand it.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The real worst stuns to deal with in Monster Hunter are Khezu roars.

If you don't block/dodge the roar, you'll get hit by the next roar. And the next roar. And the next roar.

I've had Khezu sit on its ass and roar 5 times in a row. It doesn't even do damage. All it does is waste time.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
To everyone pointing out monster hunter, how are you not mentioning the stupid tremor stun? You sit there and act like there's a magnitude 20 earthquake for like 10 seconds after the tremor is over!!! I can't stand it.
Because only a few monsters cause tremors. All monsters can dizzy you.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I believe there is a more bullshit variant of this in DOTA 2, but a cross-map Ashe arrow in League of Legends will stun you for something like 4 seconds and the worst part is that if they hit it on you, you kind of have to begrudgingly respect them.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
'Well-timed mace stuns' from Warriors circa S3ish in WoW arena. For those who don't know it, warriors had a random, 10% chance or whatever to trigger a stun with every attack, which due to RNG, would sometimes just absolutely shut you down at random.

Was a sarcastic remark that became popular because you'd get terrible warriors pretty high on the ladder, since their job was to just sit around and get lucky eventually.

KITPUNK

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Currently: Division 2 stun shot from a turret or dog bot. Stun immediately pulls you out of cover as you stand shaking for a few seconds, getting riddled with bullets.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
WoW classic stun lock rogues were fun to be and frustrating to be against.

Long before WoW though, Meridian 59 stun lock Qor mages could "hold" you and burn you with acid touch till you died, and nothing you could do about it lol. Qor PK'ers were the plague of that game for a long time.

EDIT: Note about M59... when you died, you dropped all your gear on the ground for the PKer to sift through. Only the gear you had equipped would stay with you. And only gold you had in the bank would be safe. Everything else. Gone.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Either of the two "small" colossi in Shadow of the Colossus. If they ram you, you have just enough time to get up before they hit you again, unless the colossus randomly charges in early, in which case you're stunlocked until you're dead.

Pleasant!

Nov 1, 2017
In WoW: Burning Crusade pvp, Warriors could use a 2handed Mace called Storm Herald that would stun you for 4s, and it could proc extra stuns while you were stunned, also they had more than 1 ability that could also stun you to weave in, if you actually got a moment of not being stunned. Being a cloth healer was pretty frustrating during this time.

Dlent

Nov 2, 2017
The obvious answer is an infinite combo that continues on until you die. It is surpassed by an infinite that does zero damage, so you just have to watch until time runs out.

Oct 25, 2017
Not really a stun, but anyone who played Destiny 2 knows that fucking mission at the start of the game where you have to slowlllllly walk to exit the city is actually the worst stun in a game.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
wow classic rogue ganking

Yeah this has to be the one.

I ran a full backstab DPS undead rogue and my friend had a stunlock orc rogue w/engineering.
I remember one time when we traveled into low level alliance areas ganking until finally some higher level took notice and tried to hunt us down.

We set up the perfect trap that still gives me a laugh to this day. I played the bait and had the would-be alliance hero chase me into a river,
where my friend was hiding stealthed with his crafted underwater helm. We ended up just double team stun locking him until he drowned.

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Enfeebled in Sekiro is pretty bad. Pretty much just able to watch yourself get killed while being able to slowly slowy slowly try to get away. From the wiki:

When Enfeebled, Sekiro appears to have aged rapidly. This causes the following:

• Vitality is reduced to a tiny amount.
  • Although the player can still jump or hold the run button to move faster, movement becomes extremely slow.
  • Attacks become extremely slow and relatively ineffective against enemies. The player cannot guard.
  • Resurrection power is prohibited, death under Enfeebled is true death.
  • Items and Prosthetic Arms may not be used.
  • After a period of time the Enfeebled effect wears off, although vitality remains the same amount.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Nowhere near actually the worst, but Skyward Sword's electrocution stun pissed me off the most

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I vote for the Monster Hunter shock status.
Especially bad in the older games where your character does that stupid "electrified" animation as they fall over. Infuriating.

This has to be one of the greatest video game gifs of all time.
Love how at the end they just sit there, utterly broken.

Enfeebled in Sekiro is pretty bad. Pretty much just able to watch yourself get killed while being able to slowly slowy slowly try to get away. From the wiki:
However, you can still do this.