• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
"What can I do for you?"

Just the intro to X-2; so fucking chessy. Why is Yuna suddenly believed to be brilliant pop singer and dancer? Introducing Paine, who the fuck are you and why should I care? The quickiest I realised a sequel was going to be shit.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I cannot believe that people didn't like the intro to FFX-2. It's like a Totally Spies episode. It's a fun espionage type mission that flips your expectations on its head. If anything it's underrated.

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed X-2's gameplay (I love job systems, like in V), but my vote also goes to X-2's intro FMV.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
People hating on the X-2 opening? Really? It's cheesy as hell, but it isn't boring.

For me some reason this comes to mind, and I even like Selphie.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIII, the invasion of the racetrack. incredibly flashy stuff with absolutely zero story stakes and none of which ends up getting reflected in the gameplay scenario that follows it.

at least it's cool looking I guess but I can't actually tell what's happening in it at all

emblematic of the excesses of a certain aesthetic era of square-enix i guess (it reminds me of how the otherwise genuinely excellent shotgun wedding sequence in FFX starts kinda needlessly with everyone rail-grinding and backflipping down a bunch of wires just because it's Cool).

Last edited:

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
The worst FMV is this commercial that tricked kids into thinking the whole game looked like that since it didn't show in-engine gameplay at all

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Any of the ones from the PS1 versions of Final Fantasy IV, V, and VI and VII.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think FFX-2's intro is dumb, but I'm sure I know of a dumber one. I just can't think of it off the top of my head.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Anyone who says the FFX-2 intro needs to learn how to have fun.

EDIT: I know it's a bit unfair, but I'm currently playing through FFVII and the CGI looks extremely rough and stilted for a few cutscenes. I also don't like how it inconsistently chooses between the field models for the characters and their more detailed models depending on the cutscene.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
I bet a lot of kids and teenage boys thought it was "gay."
I'm sure some still do.
I was in middle school when I first played FFX-2. As a boy going through puberty, let me just say seeing these tittilating (pun intended) young women had me thinking of much more inappropriate thoughts than calling it "gay".

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The CG added to FF 4 in the PS1 collection.

Winner. Even at the time, I thought it looked REALLY low-quality compared to what they were doing in other titles.

Time to wash that out with the 3DS version's FMVs...
DD736E490556890A34F369832078C7E5D80C509C

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
The added FMVs for the PS1 ports of IV, V, and VI were pretty bad. Especially for V, since they used the bad Amano designs that didn't suit the characters at all (especially Lenna).

I also always kind of need to laugh at that one FF7 FMV of SD field model Cloud jumping onto a moving train. I get why they did it, but it is always funny seeing them go into fancy FMV mode while using that model.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"What can I do for you?"

Just the intro to X-2; so fucking chessy. Why is Yuna suddenly believed to be brilliant pop singer and dancer? Introducing Paine, who the fuck are you and why should I care? The quickiest I realised a sequel was going to be shit.
The story might have been disappointing but man, the battle and job system were perfect.

Btw I agree with the Selfie cutscene that was posted here. That was really bad.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The added FMVs for the PS1 ports of IV, V, and VI were pretty bad. Especially for V, since they used the bad Amano designs that didn't suit the characters at all (especially Lenna).

I also always kind of need to laugh at that one FF7 FMV of SD field model Cloud jumping onto a moving train. I get why they did it, but it is always funny seeing them go into fancy FMV mode while using that model.
They crack me up now.
giphy.gif

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
That Dirge of Cerberus one is really bad. Is Gackt on a green screen or something? Also the dubbing and the Dracula accent, an easy "winner".

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
People think "Y. R. P. In position. It's showtime, girls" is bad? That got me hyped.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
You are correct.
I got the duo of beach Citra and Folka, when I got their Limit I was rewarded with boobs, boobs, and a bit more of boobs.

Yup, that's the one. Citra's standalone CGI is super gratuitous too.

The amount of T&A they worked into the sprites of some of the woman is depressing too. I enjoy BE for the FF material, but the original stuff is cringy.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
It's gotta be something from Dirge of Cerberus, probably that monumentally dumb secret ending with Gackt appearing as Genesis.

While I'm actually pretty intrigued by the idea of a true game sequel to FF VII that positions Genesis as the ultimate villain and have always held out a tiny bit of hope that such would be made someday, the actual teaser FMV was executed terribly. Should've just stuck with Genesis' in-game appearance (and voice!) and not gone with live-action Gackt.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The added CGI cutscenes for the PS1 releases of IV-VI were bad and kinda made me realize that I don't like Amano designs that much. They look super silly in 3D.

Lol @ literal Gackt appearing in DoC though. I don't think I saw that ending before, despite finishing the game. I must have turned it off before staring at "The End" for 45 seconds. Even funnier when you remember that Dirge of Cerberus came out before Crisis Core, so people who saw this would have had no fuckin' idea who he was supposed to be.