• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Worst Christmas Carol

• That One With Guy Pearce Where Scrooge Rapes Mrs. Cratchit

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Some Other One

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Wait That First One's Not Real Is It?

Votes: 42 67.7%

• Total voters

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is more a question of what is the second worst adaptation. Unless someone want's to say the BBC miniseries from last year doesn't sink all the way to the bottom of any list.

DbpMzXd.jpg

It really was terrible. Even without the rape scene (and Scrooge being molested as a child), this version would still be at the bottom of the list. I've seen tons of adaptations, and this is the only one where you want Scrooge to just die at the end without any redemption. It doesn't go with the full blown redeption and at least realizes this Scrooge is beyond forgiveness. It instead just ends with him fucking off out of everyone's lives. Still, it's absolutely awful and it's SOOOOO long. It was made as a miniseries, but was aired (in the US at least) as one big long movie. It's almost an hour before Marley's ghost shows up to meet Scrooge.

I think the only good, or better to say interesting thing about this movie is a twist on the Ghost of Christmas Present. In this version it's the ghost of Scrooge's sister. In a better movie, her portratying one of the Ghosts could be really effective. But I think it requires other characters from his life as the other ghosts. Maybe Fezziwig as Past and Tiny Tim as Future.

rzEbGu1.jpg

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Never saw that one but it sounds awful.

For me, probably the Jim Carrey version. Had surprisingly good 3D, but that's about all it had going for it.

Sim>Muppet>Finney>Scott>Murray>Stewart>>>>>>>>>>>Carrey

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I gave up on that version after only 20 minutes, but I never would have guessed it went that far up it's own ass.

The Zemekis/Carrey adaptation is pretty unforgivable. Bad character designs, the peak of uncanny valley mo-cap, and Carrey giving four different bizzarely lifeless performances.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Wow that does sound bad. I was going to suggest a really bad Castle Film edit that just skipped over the Ghost of Christmas Past and Future. Scrooge just instantly changes his ways after seeing what happening to Tiny Tim.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
What the hell, man.

Came into the thread expecting the animated monstrosity by Zemeckis; leaving thread horrified after learning about the Guy Pearce one.

OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Wow that does sound bad. I was going to suggest a really bad Castle Film edit that just skipped over the Ghost of Christmas Past and Future. Scrooge just instantly changes his ways after seeing what happening to Tiny Tim.

Well, in the original book Scrooge starts changing pretty quickly. Upon seeing himself as a child he reflects on the caroler he scolded. When shown the Fezziwig party he comments how he would like to have a word with his clerk.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Guy Pearce adaptation takes it. I was hoping for a gothic retelling of the story with some horror bits added, instead, I wound up laughing at the absurdity of it all. It played like an edgelord internet parody of a dark and gritty Christmas Tale, particularly the parts mentioned in the OP.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I remember almost nothing about the Jim Carrey one except for the fact that I saw it in 3D.

The Patrick Stewart version was somewhat forgettable too, but I haven't seen it in two decades.

Tops will always be the George C. Scott and Mickey versions.

OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I can't hate too much on the Carrey one. Yes, it's ugly, but it has a very good cast.

And I prefer the Stewart one to the Scott version. Both are fantastic as scrooge, but the Stewart one has such a better supporting cast. Richard Grant is the best Cratchit.

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
The Carrey one is bad. Just rewatched the Muppet one with the kids. It still holds up!

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I like the Jim Carrey one and all of the other ones I've seen. Not seen the Guy Pierce one, sounds dreadful.