• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
People are wild on the teraflops, 4K, three million FPS and all that, but I'm mostly excited about two things:

- Xbox turning into an ecosystem, which will let me buy the new generation at my own pace.
- PS5 backwards compatibility with the PS3 games, because I fucking want to play Haze and maybe I'll play MGS3 and I don't want to buy a PS3.

What are those little things that other people might not get that you look forward to in the new generation?

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Backward Compatibilty. I'm not sure if they will offer compatibility with PS3 games (at least it wasn't officially confirmed), but even the PS4 backward compatibility is a good reason. I've got a lot of PS4 games in my backlog, so opportunity to play them alongside new PS5 releases on a same device is definitely a big incentive to buy it on launch.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
A DualShock controller that won't fall apart in a light breeze.
My roommate brought his PS3 with him and we just set it up. It's a second revision, so it lacks all the useless storage ports on the front and PS2 BC, but it's also a huge space hog with a tiny HDD. And yet, this nearly 13 year old system has a DualShock 3 that's in damn near immaculate condition.

Meanwhile, a brand new DS4 I bought a month ago came out of the box with a mushy triangle button and analog sticks that make cracking noises when tilted.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm super excited for the new PSVR stuff. I don't plan on getting PSVR, but a friend of mine is and I'm excited for him to get to experience VR.

Oct 29, 2017
I love watching the few bullshot E3 trailers that are ultimately unattainable, but we believe them anyway because we don't know how good the graphics are actually going to be until we have the machines for a while. So for a window of 14 months or so we believe anything they show us.

May 1, 2018
Buttons built-in on the back of the controllers. Would love for games to be able to implement more controls because they have more buttons available.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I always like that period when there's not that much to play so you end up buying whatever's available, even if it's not that good. A good example of this is Contrast when the PS4 launches. It's basically the only time when it feels possible to keep up with everything coming out.

Also I quite like turning things on for the first time and setting things up.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
PSVR games with the power of the PS5 behind them. The PS5 will be designed for VR not retrofitted like the PS4.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
BC on the PS5 system. If it will be really for all older system (and even in the future for portable), I will finally be able to play all my digital catalogue of games I buyed directly on 1 system. I can actually same some space! :D
(still also hope they will let me play all my buyed things on other devices, like PC or Smartphone one day... on streaming of course.)

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The console wars, obviously.
To that point I never understood why there wasn't a platform wars mode released where your teammates were on the same platform (PlayStation) and you fought against your rivals (Xbox). It would be refreshing to get at least a fun representation of that "war"

back on-topic:
USB-C charging for controllers. Can we at least do that?

d3ckard

Dec 7, 2017
Multi-game suspend/resume. I love switching between games and it should make it way easier.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
It's not silly, but the SSD and the PS5 only games from Naughty Dog, Guerilla, SSM an Insomniac.

Oh and PS3 BC is anything but confirmed. I wouldn't count on it.

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
The design of the actual box I guess.
Typically a topic that gets a lot of attention and generates a lot of noise for no good proper reason eventually! But we're all guilty of this :D

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
As a UI/UX nerd I cannot wait to discover what Microsoft and Sony have in store for the OS UI of the consoles.

I'm mostly waiting for a better Store experience. I think there is wide room for improvements in this area.

HazySaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
West Yorkshire, UK
That new console feeling. I know it's a bit shallow but getting a brand new console and unboxing and plugging it in for the first time is always a fun experience.

Also backwards compatibility, especially if the extra power can bring some enhancements like more stable framerates etc.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
New UI. Honestly it'll be nice to have a new console as i have been exclusively using the Launch Xbox One since 2013.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
EDIT: completely misread the OP.
For me, it's the console startup splash screen.

May 25, 2019
London
I'm a big fan of console UI changes and refreshes. The Xbox One was disastrous at launch with this, with the big tiles and the terrible "snap" functionality. I just want to see what they do when they're no longer tied down to that foundation.