• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jul 5, 2018
There's always endless talk about what the best game ever made is...but what I've been thinking about lately is what the SECOND best game ever made is. Even though second place isn't as glorious as first. Being runner up to for best game ever is still pretty dang prestigious.

After giving it quite a bit of thought, I would give my vote to Halo: Combat Evolved. Apart from being an amazing game that set the standard for all other first person shooters heading into the new generation, it also became the flagship franchise to an entirely new line of consoles. It could be argued that Xbox would not be the success it was without Halo. Another reason is the fact that Rooster Teeth used Halo to create Red vs Blue: the biggest and longest-running web series ever that pushed Machina as an art form and the company into a legit multi-media corporation. To me, it's worth noting when a game has had an impact beyond being JUST an amazing game.

I'm sure many will disagree with my choice... And that's why I want to hear YOUR opinion. Which game in your eyes is the second GOAT?

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VI is my GOAT. If I were to pick a #2, I'd say Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. That is hands down the best PS1 game imo. That OST is GOAT tier as well.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1. Metroid Prime
2. Mega Man X

They switch spots depending on my mood but I think Metroid Prime contains more objective perfection.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
Red Dead Redemption 2 took the crown off of the original Red Dead Redemption as the best game ever made so yeah, Red Dead Redemption is now the second best

Terra

May 15, 2019
51RXKHJY3PL.jpg

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
The top two are Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy 7, in whichever order you prefer.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Star Ocean The Second Story.

Edit: I thought you meant the best second game, not the second best. Oops. ;p

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
That's tough. If I had to say, "objectively" (based on the three aspects you mentioned) Tetris would probably be the best game of all time. The second best? No clue. Probably Super Mario 64 for its influence.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ico/TLG are tied in second after Majora's Mask, two sides of the same coin. Fitting in my eyes that the GOAT comes from the king's of gameplay Nintendo upping the bar on their storytelling and the almost GOATs come from a film student perfecting gameplay-story integration.