• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to light the your torch in No Man's Warf after being hit with an oil flask.
LOL
The Skynet level AI that was present in the DS2 DLC areas, and the drop you take on your way to Sir Alonne (because the sliver of damage you can take from it counts against you thus preventing the rare death animation for the boss)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
When the Ashes are two, a flame alighteth. Thou'rt Ash, and fire befits thee, of course...
crb9jme60mc21.jpg

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Shout-out to maldron in DS2, the troll NPC invader who flees when in danger in brume tower as part of a ploy to lure you into a curse enhanced mugging

And then disguises himself as a friendly white phantom in the snow area so he can get an optimal backstab.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
when you drop off that little ledge in harvest valley in dark souls 2 and get trapped together with FOUR dual sickle enemies. really big troll ambush, and i liked how the area where you fight them was designed with little chokeholds up on the ledges on the sides, which you can use to separate the enemies. this encounter got a lot of hate from players who weren't able to figure out how to use the environment to their advantage

Last edited:

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
As someone who's only played Bloodborne, probably the forbidden woods trap.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For me, Patches kicking you into a poisonous river in Bloodborne. Especially if you're not stocked up on antidotes.

Omnipotent

User requested ban
Banned
Feb 28, 2021
them slow ass shrooms that punch like fucking tanks

they always seem to kill me at least one time each playthrough and it's always embarrassing

"Every time I play this game I get killed by walking Mushrooms who are nonhostile unless you bother them"
"...So stop bothering them"
Fat4All:
4a22d72e555b57918ff475182400c6ec32879182.gifv

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
The log trap in Bloodborne's Forbidden Woods is definitely up there.

The fact that it can catch you off guard not once but twice after you initially dodge it is especially amazing.

There really is so much about this one that's perfect
  1. It's totally unexpected
  2. It's actually grounded as opposed to just being "gamey" in its design
  3. It punishes players' anticipated self-satisfaction at dodging the initial trap
Really feels like something out of the Gary Gygax / first-edition D&D playbook.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The log trap in Bloodborne's Forbidden Woods is definitely up there.

The fact that it can catch you off guard not once but twice after you initially dodge it is especially amazing.

I think I dodged it the first time when I thought I was safe, then died while bursting into laughter. I wasn't even mad.

Jan 11, 2018
Dunedin, New Zealand
I can't find a good video of it, but Shadow Tower Abyss has an instant kill trap within 10 seconds of the starting the game if you just walk forward.

You can also die within seconds of starting the game in Kings Field 2 and 4, but Abyss is the most likely to get you on your first playthrough.

Gabaghoul582

Banned
Nov 2, 2021
I haven't gotten to it cuz I suck, but when you fight that ape in Sekiro and defeat it and it comes back from the dead due to the parasite thing is probably the funniest thing in gaming for the past 2 decades.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Getting cursed by the frogs in the Depths in Dark Souls 1 is an all-timer.

An otherwise pretty harmless enemy has a gas attack that not only instantly kills you, but permanently cuts your hp bar in half until you find a way to cure yourself.

There's just something beautifully organic about this sort of quest design. There's no vendor with a question mark above their head giving you a waypoint to go to, it is simply a fact that something fucked up has happened to you and now you are permanently crippled and sidetracked from the critical path until you can find a way to fix it. It's obviously extremely punitive, but it's also completely unforgettable.

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
There really is so much about this one that's perfect
  1. It's totally unexpected
  2. It's actually grounded as opposed to just being "gamey" in its design
  3. It punishes players' anticipated self-satisfaction at dodging the initial trap
Really feels like something out of the Gary Gygax / first-edition D&D playbook.
The first time I went there I dodged the first swing then got hit by the backswing. Died laughing.

Went back again, dodged it off to the side, stood back all smug, then it disconnected and crushed me. I wanted to stand up in applause.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Trying to get to the tomb of the giants and being bombarded by pinwheel skeletons sprinting at you from the darkness

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Getting cursed by the frogs in the Depths in Dark Souls 1 is an all-timer.

An otherwise pretty harmless enemy has a gas attack that not only instantly kills you, but permanently cuts your hp bar in half until you find a way to cure yourself.

There's just something beautifully organic about this sort of quest design. There's no vendor with a question mark above their head giving you a waypoint to go to, it is simply a fact that something fucked up has happened to you and now you are permanently crippled and sidetracked from the critical path until you can find a way to fix it. It's obviously extremely punitive, but it's also completely unforgettable.
And to make it better/worse, you can get cursed again and be reduced to 1/4 health. Yes, this was me during my first playthrough. :D

Fake edit: Apparently this was removed in patch 1.05 of the game; you can only be reduced to 1/2 now (originally you could go as low as 1/8 if you got cursed thrice). I don't know whether to feel relieved or sad. :D

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
The fucking swamp with the dudes shooting the fucking magic at you, that you were too slow to dodge cause you are in the fucking swamp.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who answers something not in Dark Souls 2 either hasn't played it or has repressed the memory.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And to make it better/worse, you can get cursed again and be reduced to 1/4 health. Yes, this was me during my first playthrough. :D

Fake edit: Apparently this was removed in patch 1.05 of the game; you can only be reduced to 1/2 now (originally you could go as low as 1/8 if you got cursed thrice). I don't know whether to feel relieved or sad. :D
For me it's relief because already having it more than 1/2 was effectively a game over state for people since most of the time you didn't have the option to teleport somewhere else.

The fucking swamp with the dudes shooting the fucking magic at you, that you were too slow to dodge cause you are in the fucking swamp.
Probably need to narrow down which shitty swamp tbh. Only one I remember where I'm actively getting shot was shrine of Amana, but at least I could roll there to dodge haha.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Vanilla Shrine of Amana was a marathon, its why any advice you see me give about DS2 I make sure to include "Make room in your build for Bows"

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
DS2 might have more traps but they didn't reach the heights of dickery many of the other games did.

I think in DS2 the dickery just, is the game. Other games have more playful moments of rudeness that stand out but the sheer volume of dickish encounters and traps just congeals into a single mass in 2.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
them slow ass shrooms that punch like fucking tanks

they always seem to kill me at least one time each playthrough and it's always embarrassing

I didn't think about them at first but now that you mentioned them I agree.
I always go down to ash lake early to try my luck at a few twinkling titanites and get the Dragon covenant, but I don't hit the bonfire so I don't have to run up the tree again. I usually get killed at least once by the Mushroom guys in the room right before you get out to ash lake.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I didn't think about them at first but now that you mentioned them I agree.
I always go down to ash lake early to try my luck at a few twinkling titanites and get the Dragon covenant, but I don't hit the bonfire so I don't have to run up the tree again. I usually get killed at least once by the Mushroom guys in the room right before you get out to ash lake.
yup, that's where they always get me, too

Nov 19, 2019
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Pendant from Dark Souls.

Like any moment in King's Field games
I swear they did the "chest, hidden behind 4 enemies, traps, and secret walls, contains only a skeleton" in every one of those games. And sometimes it wasn't even an enemy skeleton...just a little polygonal skeleton sitting there, so you don't even get a pittance of XP or gold.