• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
so you can play anything released until now at 4k 120fps

also, ray traycing. Unless AMD has something of incredible value to show, the 3070 ( maybe 3080... i dunno) will be mine

Oct 29, 2017
Don't forget there are still a lot of people using 970s. There's plenty of reasons to upgrade with games already out, they just decided to skip the last two gens. We cannot assume everyone is already on 20 series cards.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I live by the simple rule of as long as you are happy with the performance there is no need to upgrade. Trying to time it is mostly a waste of time because there is always something big just around the corner. Going by that rule I generally make the jump from one to another every 4 to 6 years. I want some of the features of the 3080, I think more games will support them as time goes on as well, so it is time to make the jump from my 1080.

Oct 25, 2017
  • I have a 4k120/1080p240hz monitor, I've needed the juice (in manycases) for it 3 years. I have a wireless VR kit, I've needed the juice (in some cases) for it 2 years.
    • I want better performance so I can return to Nier: A, FFXV and Dark Souls 3, as well as VR titles like HL:A and BONEWORKS
  • I want to play Quake 2 RTX fully featured all the way through, after spending 3 years with low performance in Q2PT, Q2VKPT, and Quake II RTX on my GTX 1080 Ti. I have only played the first demo levels and I want to go through the whole game now.
  • Cyberpunk does look really cool. If it is really good, maybe I'll jump on it instead of getting it on sale.
  • Control has always looked really, really cool to me and I've been wanting to play it as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I mean, I've got a 2080ti, I'm obviously going to keep sitting on it until I hit a use-case where it doesn't do the job. If you're on like a 1080 or something, though, it would seem the answer is obvious: you can upgrade to something that's likely to last you 7-9 years instead of something that's more likely only going to get you 3-4?

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
I want to play games at 144fps on this 144hz UW display is about it. My 1080 barely manages to maintain 60 in a lot of games.

If I was still running a 1080p display I would not look at upgrading whatsoever

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm holding out for the 3080Ti this time mostly because the 3080 will probably hard to find and overpriced for a while to come.

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
I have a 5700XT driving a 100hz monitor. It's not enough. I'll be getting a new card (undecided) to try and achieve that locked 100 fps.

Coolade

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand waiting for a 3080ti, but otherwise, now is the time to go for a 4700x and 3080 combo for that maxed out cyberpunk goodness.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea this is going on at the back of my mind regarding my 1080 Ti and current wish to upgrade to the 3080.
Pretty much everything I've played ran at >90 fps on my 1440p G-sync monitor. I think I will just see how Cyberpunk runs and if I'm not satisfied, then I'll definitely upgrade. But if I get it running at High at >60fps, I'll be using a controller so it's fine. I don't need 144fps for an open world game.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Don't forget there are still a lot of people using 970s. There's plenty of reasons to upgrade with games already out, they just decided to skip the last two gens. We cannot assume everyone is already on 20 series cards.

The 1070/1060/1050Ti/1050 are the 4 most popular GPUs in gamer's PCs according to the Steam survey. These are the sort of the machines that will be upgrading to the 3070/3080 and the eventual 3060. All of those users will see a gigantic leap forward in performance.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Because Im looking at running things at 4K 120FPS. Also a 2080 barely runs a lot of new things High/Ultra at 1080p at 60fps.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Games are out right now that use this tech, and more coming this year. Also going my pure rasterised performance these are a massive jump over the 1000 series. People have 144hz moniters to drive

Feb 23, 2019
Everyone is on their own upgrade cycle. Gaming with the highest spec'd GPUs isn't efficient in terms of cost, but if you are an enthusiast that likes having all the effects and highest framerates and resolutions, and that's extremely important to you and you have the financial means to support it, that's why people do it.

I tend to upgrade with consoles just because I like the user experience of a console, and they tend to get more power extracted out of a fixed set of hardware relative to the PC space. You sacrifice a bit on having top level performance, but honestly resolutions above 1440p tend to be good enough for me and it seems like we're going to get a lot of 4K30 or Sub-4k 60 fps game options this gen on consoles WITH things like Ray Tracing.

To me the console strikes a very cost effective balance and that's what I personally choose. I also don't like tinkering with every little setting and enjoy knowing that a game has been highly optimized for the hardware. I am glad that both Microsoft and Sony went a bit more cutting edge with their hardware this time around. I feel it's a much more balanced and powerful approach compared to last-gen.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Looking at 2000 series and now the 3000 series, what exactly is the point of these cards? I have a 1080 and seems to run just about anything I throw at it on all high settings at 1440p at 60+fps. What advantage do these high end cards have especially now? There are like 4 games that have raytracing atm, so is it really just for high refresh monitors or 21:9 monitors? X1 and PS4 is coming to a close and we are still at least a year off before big XSX and PS5 titl hits, it seems like these cards, with pretty cool tech, are going to be outdated by the time they are useful and a few hundred dollars cheaper. Cyberpunk and maybe the new Call of Duty seem like the only 2 games you'll be playing that will use these bells and whistles for at least 6 months, but spending $600 to play two games on release doesnt make sense to me.

Is now the time to upgrade your PC, or is 6 months from now when there is software to boot the actual time to buy one of these cards?

As a new PC owner, I am just getting used to the mindset of PC players.

As a console owner, you dont really have to think about stuff so much. If a game is released on your console of choice, you can pretty much assume it will work as intended. If the game runs poorly, it may be patched. You kind of just get used to have a fixed hardware that developers will have to work with.

With PCs, the choice is with you as a consumer, you decide what an acceptable performance is. You often hear people here saying things like "1080p in 2020? unacceptable! "30FPS in 2020? unacceptable!". For these people, its like they have set their expectations, and gaming at 1080/30 is not going to cut it anymore.

Others have set their expectations at 4K/120FPS/Ultra. For them, playing at anything less detracts from the experience.

In my case, I feel blessed with my mid range AMD PC. It feels like a dream to be able to run games at 1080/Ultra and often get more than 60FPS!

The disappoint thing it that there is a limit to how much you can scale up your old games, unless somebody releases like a mod to play with 4K textures or some options that was not available at the time or release. Framerate may go up but I am not sure if running a game at 500FPS actually makes any difference.

To come back to the OP point, I think the decision of when to jump in with a new GPU is subjective. I personally think I will get a new PC in 5 years time when hopefully the 5080 series will be available for $500 and push 100TF. I think that will be a good jumping in point.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
There has been some nice looking ray traced games but with the next gen of cards, combined with dlss I think the sky's the limit. We are likely going to see pc titles with ray traced everything at high frame rate.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Mate, trying to play RDR2 on my 1080 Ti has been an exercise in pure suffering. I can't even run 3k resolution on high settings with a solid frame rate, let alone 4k with ultra settings.

If RDR2 is destroying my GPU this much... yeah, it's about time to upgrade, methinks. Regardless of all the other stuff (which is actually totally great and I'm really excited to try out ray-tracing proper!), the performance alone has won me over. Damn, I can't wait to try out RDR2 on 4k Ultra.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I mean you have to upgrade at some point. If you buy a top of the line card every decade you're good to go.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Because I have the rare amount of disposable income right now, and I would like to 1) Get my PC in a place where I can been fairly happy with it for 4 or more years, 2) stream while playing more intensive VR games, especially with higher res and frame rate on my incoming Index and 3) get ready to run Cyberpunk as best I can.

If your argument is, "Why don't you wait until they are cheaper" that basically applies at every moment in time as they will always be getting cheaper. It is about finding the moment where you are happy with the price to performance ratio.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
On PC you always have the choice to play the waiting game if you enjoy that, it never ends, there is always something new on the horizon.

I'm jumping in now simply because I want to play Cyberpunk on a beastly rig with ray-tracing without crappy framerates.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
A gpu does more than play the games at its Release... It plays 30 years of backlog too.
Not understanding the OP at all - people can Kind of buy things when they please if they want to.in terms of price performance, things will not be dramatically better until next gpu cycle, whenever that may be. It is very typical for a PC User to Upgrade their rig in general,but also to coincide with a big Release. Cyberpunk 2077 is 100% a type of game to do that.
To be short and simple: the PC parts market has it's own Rhythm and you can decide to hop on when you please.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Because you have the money and want the best.

Like, I think there were a lot of people who didn't buy into the 2000 series simply because of that. High prices, early tech, weak performance upgrades for the price.

But now with the 3000 series, all of those features are just going to get used more and more. The smartest choice is to probably buy an RTX 3060 now (probably RTX 2080 performance with better ray tracing for $350-399), then sell it and upgrade again when the RTX 4060 releases. Buying a 3080 is luxury. It's amazing to play games at 4k 60fps ultra settings, and many people who've tasted Ray tracing are probably excited to finally get great performance, and an increasingly large wave of games supporting it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's not like the new GPU is just going to be a paperweight, you'll still be able to use it and enjoy the power it affords.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I'm stating the obvious, but the GPU you buy now will still be functional when a new wave of GPU's arrive. If you're happy with it, there's no need to upgrade. I would assume you already know this, if you're running a 1080.

Again, to the back of the room, if you're happy with your hardware, there's no need to upgrade.

IanMcKellen_Prod_1920x1254.jpg

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
4k, higher framerates, new tech, taking advantages of things like Ray Tracing.

Like, this isn't complicated. 60fps isn't the bar, either. It's the bare minimum. Gimme 144+, preferably 240 locked.

Hardware will always be cyclical and it is never futureproof, but that shouldn't stop people from jumping in or upgrading to take advantage of things.

this, pretty much covers it.

i have a 165hz monitor...cyberpunk is looking to be spectacular and is targeting a lot of pc only effects.

some people just want the best experience possible, this is my hobby and I work hard in the industry for it.

op, you say your 1080 still runs everything fine....well that will be the same for someone with a 3080 in 4 years.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably going to buy a 3090 and most would agree that the card is overkill for 1440p.

But i want to play cyberpunk (and other games) with max settings, ray tracing and ideally way over 60fps.

Arkham Knight in 90fps is utterly fantastic. Doom Eternal in only 60fps feels weird (i can't discribe it. In around 100fps i loved it though).

High resolution, max settings, ray tracing and 100+ fps are demanding af so i somewhat "need" a 3090.

Raytracing alone slaughters "weaker" cards.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I use a 4k monitor and have a 1070 so yeah, a 3080 will be great. If I was on a 1080 Ti and had a lower target resolution I might wait a bit longer but even then I would probably be going for high refresh rate.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to wait a few years to upgrade mine, so the jump from 970 will be huge by the time I will afford it.

Roarer

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
A lot of people want to upgrade just because it is the new shiny thing.

What you should be asking yourself is: are there games available right now that my current setup cannot run at a satisfying performance level?

I was rocking a GTX 570 For a few years and was happy despite several generations eclipsing its performance. Wasn't until I played The Evil Within and hit sub 50 fps that I felt the need to upgrade to a 970.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
To maximize the return on the resell market. Six months from now, a 1080 is going to go for less, which means more out of pocket costs for people upgrading.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
PC lets you pick the visual gaming experience you want. If you only play single player games at 1080p, then you are pretty much ok with a GPU that is 3-4 years old. If you play a lot of multiplayer shooters at that res, you will want high refresh rate and a GPU to run it so a higher end, older GPU like a 980 Ti will do you just fine.

For me it's all about the high end. I want the visual spectacle and/or high framerates at high resolution that resolves more detail. I have a 4K, 48" LG OLED on my desk and a system running a 2080 Ti. I would say that GPU is enough for games out at the moment, giving a 4K 60 fps gaming experience in most games and some games like Doom Eternal can even do 4K 120 fps. There's also a big catalog of older games that can run at 4K 120 fps now.

The sensible choice at the high end is always the questions between "do you want the top card to have the absolute best performance for the next 2 years or do you take the one 1-2 steps under it that is still really good" vs what is the cost difference between those choices.

For me two years back the 2080 Ti (cheapest one available tho!) made most sense because the 2080 was priced very high at the time too and so were used 1080 Tis. I had a 980 Ti at the time.I have been able to enjoy 3070 level performance for two years more than the folks who skipped the 2000 series. It cost me a lot more of course.

For the 3000 series, the 3080 to me is the one to buy for someone playing at the high end because it's almost as good as the 3090 at a very large price difference based on early reports and certainly enough to run anything current at 4k 60+ fps. Anyone playing at 1440p will be very happy with the performance of 3070 if it actually matches 2080 Ti.

It's difficult to predict when/if new games will make use of new features on GPUs. But in the meantime you can enjoy anything that comes out at higher framerates and graphics details if you have a newer GPU. As long as you are happy with the performance you are getting you don't need to have the latest and greatest.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I'm on a 970 and I can't really wait any longer. Already upgraded the entire rest of my PC last year when the new ryzens came out (my old CPU was even older than the 970) and I have been waiting for these cards. Also not concerned about the 3080 aging poorly, think I'll keep it many many years as I did the 970.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a console launch where you'll be starving for new games to play that can take advantage of the improved hardware (I don't think they will allow PS4 titles with dynamic res/unlocked frame rate to run higher, do they? I'm actually curious now. Also you will barely see any games taking advantage of all new features like audio tech, controller haptics, raytracing etc either to correlate to your "barely any RT games" point). You will benefit from very welcome to massive performance gains for your whole library the second you plug that card in. I don't see what's weird about it at all. Also by that logic there would be zero adoption of tech and therefore no titles that take advantage of it at all given lack of install base