• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Looking at 2000 series and now the 3000 series, what exactly is the point of these cards? I have a 1080 and seems to run just about anything I throw at it on all high settings at 1440p at 60+fps. What advantage do these high end cards have especially now? There are like 4 games that have raytracing atm, so is it really just for high refresh monitors or 21:9 monitors? X1 and PS4 is coming to a close and we are still at least a year off before big XSX and PS5 title hits, it seems like these cards, with pretty cool tech, are going to be outdated by the time they are useful and a few hundred dollars cheaper. Cyberpunk and maybe the new Call of Duty seem like the only 2 games you'll be playing that will use these bells and whistles for at least 6 months, but spending $600 to play two games on release doesnt make sense to me.

Is now the time to upgrade your PC, or is 6 months from now when there is software to boot the actual time to buy one of these cards?

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
It's a weighing of time/money/experience. If those balance out to your liking, then that's the purpose of buying high end cards now.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I want to replay all those past games at greater settings and resolutions.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
To have an even smoother experience playing current software. Higher resolutions, Super sampling, 144hz/240hz monitors are still a thing, etc.

Oct 26, 2017
I want to run a bunch of machine learning models on the RTX 3080 and I doubt Nvidia can get down to 5nm before 2024.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a 1080 and there are plenty of games that you could squeeze better performance out of (RDR2, MSFS, Horizon are recent examples) and that's before you go up to ultra settings, bring in supersampling, or anything like that.

Plus, some of us are greedy and want 144 fps, not 60 fps.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
The last set of Nvidia cards released two years ago and I expect the next cards to take longer to be released because of Covid. If you are on Turing you can probably wait but earlier than that and it is about time for an upgrade.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
With that thinking you'll never upgrade your PC. 4000 series is 2 years away and then the 5000 series will be 2 years away. Are you always going to wait another 2 years?

Regardless, I want 4k/120hz/Gsync on my OLED which is only possible now these cards support HDMI 2.1. And there are many games on the way supporting RTX.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at 2000 series and now the 3000 series, what exactly is the point of these cards? I have a 1080 and seems to run just about anything I throw at it on all high settings at 1440p at 60+fps. What advantage do these high end cards have especially now? There are like 4 games that have raytracing atm, so is it really just for high refresh monitors or 21:9 monitors? X1 and PS4 is coming to a close and we are still at least a year off before big XSX and PS5 title hits, it seems like these cards, with pretty cool tech, are going to be outdated by the time they are useful and a few hundred dollars cheaper. Cyberpunk and maybe the new Call of Duty seem like the only 2 games you'll be playing that will use these bells and whistles for at least 6 months, but spending $600 to play two games on release doesnt make sense to me.

Is now the time to upgrade your PC, or is 6 months from now when there is software to boot the actual time to buy one of these cards?

I just bought an LG CX OLED TV and I would fucking love the firepower to play my games at 4k 120hz.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I was playing at 3440x1440@144hz with an overclocked 2080 Ti, and 99% of games from the last 2 years are unable to maintain that locked at ultra settings.
Suggesting that there is no software that uses the power of these cards is straight up ridiculous.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
cause i want to play cyberpunk baybee

nah i get what you mean though, definitely the more forward-thinking thing to do is just wait till the 4000 series rolls around in like 2-3 years because by then we'll have a lot more games that take advantage of things like DLSS and ray tracing.

there's some really cool experiences out there though like Quake II RTX, Minecraft RTX. you'll have to make the jump at some point so why not get a head start? the 3000 series will be good for 5 years and by then, we'll have a new gen to look forward to.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Some people are obsessed with graphics and performance.

I don't see the problem with it if that is how they enjoy something.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you gotta make the jump sooner or later or you will always be waiting for the next opportunity.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your high end GPU doesn't become obsolete once a new one is released. You'll still be able to run most games on relatively high setting with better performance than a console for several years after the next line of GPUs.

if someone buys 3080 they'll be good for a long time.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
You don't have to upgrade. I'm not but am very excited with how good they sound. I will keep my 1080 for longer and just get used to lowering a lot of settings. I also have a 144 hz monitor which will make it tough to not want to upgrade so I imagine a lot of people are looking to reach those framerates in more games or play everything at 4k. But there's no one being forced to upgrade and my 1080 is going to be lasting me at the least 5 years of heavy use with great quality. I can't complain.
It's all about when you're ready to upgrade and if you want the highest quality. But it's not necessary to be a pc gamer.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

The new cards will show benefits right away. Smoother performance and better visuals. Let me ask you, what's the point in buying the new consoles right away if there are only a handful of games to play?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
All multiplatform games over the next 5 years will be getting new levels of "ultra" settings thanks to the PS5/Series X. Crysis remaster already has 8k textures. High end video card owners will be able to play 90% of AAA console games at max settings at >60fps with their controller of choice.

RTX will be coming to just about every AAA game in some form over that time.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I wanna play at 4K 60, currently I play at 1440 60. And all games benefit, even without RTX or DLSS. Everything looks much better: RE3, DMC5, Control, Forza, Final Fantasy 15, Gears 5, Ori, any AAA game benefits. And of course all of a sudden there will be a lot of games with the benefits for RT and DLSS.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you OP, what the point of those card, even the 1080, when my 970 seems to run just about anything I throw at it on low settings at 720p 60fps

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because people decide how much they want to spend to play games the best possible they can afford. Like console gaming is a MUCH different priority, you are willing to sacrifice visual fidelity and performance for convenience and whatever exclusives come out on your console(s) of choice. PC gaming for many primary players it's all about modding and playing games to the best of your abilities. The cards for the most part can normally last you 3-5 playing games fairly well before you start reaching some major AAA titles that you want to upgrade for.

Me? I want to play Cyberpunk as pretty as possible. Simple as that. The rule of thumb is 'theres always something better around the corner so make a decision based off now, not tomorrow'

OP
OP
sn00zer

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
The new cards will show benefits right away. Smoother performance and better visuals. Let me ask you, what's the point in buying the new consoles right away if there are only a handful of games to play?
Console prices take a few years for price changes. PC components though are always a moving target. If its not a new GPU its new Ram or new SSD or CPU. If its always a moving target it seems like buying now youre going to be more disadvantaged than anything next gen

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Life is too short to wait on new products; "Live now, die hard" - Me

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
so is it really just for high refresh monitors or 21:9 monitors
It's both my dude. Plus people who has stuff that is shit like me, stuck with a 1060 3G.

Console prices take a few years for price changes. PC components though are always a moving target. If its not a new GPU its new Ram or new SSD or CPU. If its always a moving target it seems like buying now youre going to be more disadvantaged than anything next gen
The more you wait the less you play

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The software we have right now can't be maxed out by current GPUs.

Good luck running modern PC games at 4K max settings with 60 fps.

Sorry, OP but you are wrong wrong wrongity wrong.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Why ever upgrade if you think like this? Not everybody runs their games at 60fps. A lot of people love running games at high refresh rates and more powerful cards are always going to allow people to do that.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I didn't have to wait to play Control with all the next gen features, and my GPU is probably set for a couple more years.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Because PC gamers usually go for 120 hz or even 144 hz and locked framerates.

The 3080 could achieve that.. barely holding 60 fps is not the way to go.

PS: I have a GTX 1080 btw.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
4k, higher framerates, new tech, taking advantages of things like Ray Tracing.

Like, this isn't complicated. 60fps isn't the bar, either. It's the bare minimum. Gimme 144+, preferably 240 locked.

Hardware will always be cyclical and it is never futureproof, but that shouldn't stop people from jumping in or upgrading to take advantage of things.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Not for nothing, but " at 1440p" is a key phrase in your OP. For people with 4K displays, we're still playing catch up on performance, and the 3000 series will help with that immensly.