• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Some of these reasons are perfectly relatable and not petty in the least! (corrupted saves and stuff)

Anyway I couldn't play RE2 remake past the opening because I hated what they did with the "city escape" portion at the start of the game. It's literally like 20 minutes of gametime in the original, but it was easily my most anticipated part to see updated.
A. No it isn't 20 minutes.

B. You do see it updated in the remake.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy XV because there were no female party members.

That's not a bad/petty reason. I loved FFXV but I agree with your assessment.

As for me, it's MHW. I keep trying to play but it takes me forever and a day to kill any of the bosses, and there's not enough feedback about if I'm winning against them, if I'm close, etc.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
I downloaded Dead Space from Game Pass because I wanted to replay it before starting Dead Space 2 for the first time.

I got to the medical deck, hadto levitate a power core into a slot to power an elevator lift. The core would not stay in and activate. I watched a youtube vid where the player just clicked it into place with no problem. I tried again and said fuck it and deleted both games.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Bought one of the Ubi Deus Ex games and was excited since I played the original. Got to a hacking minigame and never went back.

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Yesterday I was trying Little Town Hero hoping to breeze through the game on easy. The 4th battle in the game has a huge difficulty spike along with introducing gimmicks into battles. Which resulted in 2 15m battles that I lost. On the 3rd attempt I won after having the right moves on the right gimmicks but it feels like a game of chance which rubbed me the wrong way.

Untogether

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure so many of these are what I call 'petty' reasons. Bad controls, lack of representation, poor VO or script, etc. All seems like valid reasons to me.

Here's my petty reason.

First time playing COD4 multi, choose deathmatch. Spawn in, move forward a few feet to see a blind thrown grenade arcing over a wall, lands at my feet and kills me. Respawn, blind thrown grenade arcs over a wall, lands at my feet, while still at the spawn point, and kills me. Two deaths, never fired a shot, or even saw an enemy.

Uninstalled, never played COD multiplayer of any varient to this day.

Oct 27, 2017
The last game I actually gave up on was years ago. I usually try to see the bright side or hate-play a game I'm neck deep in.

But last time was the original Demon's Souls a few years back. I had already beaten DS1, DS3, and Bloodborne, so I figured it would be more of the same. Boy did I bounce off that game hard.

I got to this swampy/black tar-like pit, where I had to descend to the boss. Got killed once by the boss, and didn't see any bonfires in the whole zone to get to the boss. I didn't even look up if there was a short cut, online. Just uninstalled and boxed the game forever.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Ghost of Tsushima (main game) because they announced the raid multi player won't have matchmaking. Absolutely embarrassing if you ask me

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Was playing the tutorial in that cyberpunk bar tending game. The 2nd drink required to be served on ice, so I add the ingredients and mix the drink, then click the ice button and go to serve but it's saying it's wrong... turns out you gotta hit the ice button either before you mix or before adding ingredients..... quit.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Was playing the tutorial in that cyberpunk bar tending game. The 2nd drink required to be served on ice, so I add the ingredients and mix the drink, then click the ice button and go to serve but it's saying it's wrong... turns out you gotta hit the ice button either before you mix or before adding ingredients..... quit.
But now you've learned a valuable life lesson about making cocktails.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I quit one of the DS Zelda games when it wanted to me to blow into the mic.

I quit basically every Wii game that made me waggle or hold the Wiimote sideways (but not let me use my Pro controller). I was way too stupid to avoid buying these games.

Last edited:

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Megaman X3 on the PS2 Collection. Beat the first two then eagerly fired up the third anticipating the amazing opening music. Only to realize in horror it was the arranged version. Skipped right to X4.

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017
Wow some of you are indeed quite petty haha. I cant think of any example myself but i want to say that i feel sorry now for any dev making games. Because it seems people stop games for the most diverse range of reasons.

Raziel

Alt Account
Banned
May 28, 2019
Walking simulator.
I dont hate anything more than forced walking sections.
Forced myself on uncharted series since I love indiana jones like adventures and thise amazing set pieces but fuck any dev who force walking.

Gimme a cut-scene if you want me to FORCE me too look at something. If its interesting i do it myself

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Demon's Souls PS5

The moon grass system is terrible. At least in Bloodborne vials are always effective and drop almost everywhere. Oh yeah the weight system sucks too. I can't seem to get grass drops anywhere except 1-1 and 1-2 which is grindy and boring.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I lost two hours of progress in Persona 5 Royal due to basically bad/unclear dungeon design. I figured out what I needed to do, went to leave, died going for the door.

Haven't touched it since.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I got sunset overdrive with my xb1s but ditched it pretty early on just because the 'humour' was just grating as hell

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
The moment I lose a good run in any roguelike game (or any game with "permadeath"), I typically am done with it for good.

For what it's worth I don't like roguelikes, but I love a game that FEELS good to play, like Dead Cells. Had a great hour or so with Dead Cells (thanks GamePass for saving me money on buying it) but the moment that good run was gone forever, so too was the game gone from my hard drive.

What I wouldn't give for a Dead Cells game that doesn't have roguelike, run-based permadeath attached to it...

I've done this a lot, including with Deadcells. I just get a really great run that takes me to or through the final boss then I'm just deflated after and don't feel like grinding out another dozen runs hoping for comparable drop luck.

I think Children of Morta was one of the first Roguelikes that really nailed a perfect balance of the replay cycle, progression, and story for me.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls PS5

The moon grass system is terrible. At least in Bloodborne vials are always effective and drop almost everywhere. Oh yeah the weight system sucks too. I can't seem to get grass drops anywhere except 1-1 and 1-2 which is grindy and boring.

you can buy it so you can grind souls anywhwere. I agree I prefer the refillable estus flask approach but that has its own limitations as there is a cap on your ability to recover each run

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
you can buy it so you can grind souls anywhwere. I agree I prefer the refillable estus flask approach but that has its own limitations as there is a cap on your ability to recover each run

I can only buy the moon grass that heals like 10% of my HP though which stinks. If better choices unlock later I'll get back into it.

Raziel

Alt Account
Banned
May 28, 2019
DKC2. Super excited to play it, as the original is one of my all-time favorites. Parents bought it, I loaded it up, realized I couldn't play as Donkey Kong and I immediately was done with it. I didn't like Diddy at all in the first one and I just didn't want to play as him regardless of how good the game was. I was a stupid kid.

Honestly,
If something doesn't feel good, no matter how exciting it is, you wouldn't enjoy it anyway.

I was spoiled on The last of us 2 which made me to lose interest in the game. I know its an amazing game but I wouldnt enjoy it anyway. Maybe when it hits ps5 with a remaster I might give it a go. Right now interest is 0 haha

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
As a kid I saved up all my money to buy Ecco on day 1. Rushed home > swam around the sea for 10 minutes > unplugged the cart forever.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
Can't think of a specific example right now, but if a game has poor writing and/or voice-acting in the opening sequence(s), I will instantly close it and delete. I will carry a bad first impression through the rest of the game even if it turns out to be good.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think these are that petty, but for some people they might.

When Call of Duty: Black Ops came out, I was talked into buying it to play with someone, despite tapping out of CoD with MW2. Bought the game new, full price. Played about 2 hours of multiplayer and the lag/netcode was so awful and frustrating, making shootouts even worse/more chaotic and terrible than they were by default. Turned around and returned the game same day and have never been back to Call of Duty since, even when people have begged me.

Like CoD, I was convinced into buying Battlefield V, though I'd also played some of the pre-release beta and enjoyed the game enough, despite never really caring for BF for the most part. I'd had some fun playing it and was enjoying myself alright. Then DICE did that first big radical change to the gunplay and I fucking HATED IT. Ruined the game, and I have a real hard time playing any game where they change the core game feel/gameplay on a whim, based on how the winds are currently blowing (online).

I refuse to give the Call of Duty brand money, and feel basically the same way about Battlefield too tbh.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Wasn't enjoying the game part of Last of Us, as I found it pretty at odds with the story they were telling, and when a Boomer from Left 4 Dead burst through a door, vomiting acid everywhere in a school gym, I quit the game and have not gone back. I'll never be able to take that story seriously.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
In Solasta, I stopped playing the instant they put my cleric in a forced stealth insta fail if you're seen steal something "tutorial". I refuse to play it again until that crap's removed.

I don't think that's petty at all though. That sequence is dog trash.

Oct 30, 2017
I dropped Bloodborne permanently in large part when I saw enemies spawning behind me / wall corners during camera moves. Really ruined the 'tough but fair' illusion of the brand for me. This "Lose All Your Progress" subgenre of ARPG's isn't for me and never will be.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
If someone else in my family is playing the same game, there's a 99% chance one of us will drop it. Happens every single time, doesn't matter what the game is, how much any of us are enjoying it, we cannot be playing the same game at the same time. It's like an unspoken rules between all of us.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not real petty but I quit Crysis 2 because the theme that kept playing was super grating for me.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I stopped playing RDR2 when I got to Valentine because I was fucking around and got a 200 dollar bounty on my head and didn't know how to remove it. I kept getting into shootouts and didn't want the bounty on my head so I deleted the game and save file.

2 years later I gave it another go recently because I have it on disc and my psn account was recently banned. I quit again by the end of the first chapter because it was too slow and I had already played it. So I deleted the game again but this time without deleting the save file.

And just yesterday my psn account got banned again for a day so I installed the game again to give it another go. I played it for 6 and half hours straight last. Holy fucking shit this game man! I have been sleeping on it for 2 years now. It has completely consumed me. RDR2 puts other open world games to shame. It's straight up an open world masterpiece. It feels like a western genre simulation. I haven't even been playing the story missions. I am literally just exploring the world itself. The last time an open world game pulled me in like this was Skyrim. And this game puts Skyrim to shame. I have spent hours chasing and capturing horses, hunted a bear, killed a farmer, skinned his cows, robbed his house, got into multiple bar fights, got locked up a few times, captured a snake oil salesmen and turned him in, drowned a man because he pissed me off, saved a few people from other outlaws or wild animals, attempted to rob a moving train and played the knife/hand game. This game is on another level. And it's so ridiculously fucking good looking. I keep stopping randomly to take in the view. And it runs and plays smooth as butter.

Last edited:

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
I quit playing Spelunky 2 because they changed the whip hit box from Spelunky 1. It feels like the dev put the change in to fuck with me specifically. I could get used to it. But I would have to waste a bunch of time retraining muscle memory for no real reason.

Last edited:

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Recently? quit Genshin Impact on android the moment I noticed controller support doesn't work

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
FFXV because of all the random DLC items and skins in my inventory after purchasing the Royal edition. First Final Fantasy game I played that was this unbalanced the start.
Oh I think I had a related petty problem. I had the vanilla version of FFXV. I was making steady progress but was feeling kinda down about the pacing of the story. I opened one of the FFXV threads to complain but first, I read a bunch of posts discussing supplementary lore, dlc and Royal additions and endgame stuff. The thought of needing to wade through that to have an educated voice in the discussion exhausted me so much I gave up on playing.

Now If it comes up, I just post uneducated FFXV dissatisfaction posts.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I get hung up on the smallest things all the time. The first one that comes to mind is the transition between walking (or standing?) and running animation being non-existent in Pokemon LGPE, which was accompanied by an abrupt change of the camera's panning speed. The screen does this jerky stutter each time you hold the run button that really bothered me. Thankfully I encountered this in the demo, so I didn't actually have to return anything.
Some people seemingly aren't able to even see things like that. I told my housemate about it and he literally didn't believe me until I slowed it down in a gif.

1FbMvvK.gif

Looking at that hurts.