• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Lost about 90 minutes of progress when my power went out and I hadn't saved at all yet after starting Darksiders.
Didn't start the game ever again.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I recently started playing Dragon Age Origins, but the text in 4K is so freakin' tiny I'm thinking of uninstalling and playing Inquisition instead.

I've looked for a fix, but there doesn't appear to be one.
DA:O was basically meant to be played on an up close PC monitor.

I'd personally love for them to remaster Dragon Age rather than Mass Effect, but oh well.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
I stopped playing Days Gone on PS4, Deacon or whatever his name is, always wears a baseball cap backwards, what a douche. I thought I could get over it, but stopped playing and quit the game.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I recently started playing Dragon Age Origins, but the text in 4K is so freakin' tiny I'm thinking of uninstalling and playing Inquisition instead.

I've looked for a fix, but there doesn't appear to be one.

-10 morrigan disliked that

(a bf totally dropped it because he couldnt get morrigan to stop being pissed with him)

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That is N64 Era Gameplay to a Tee. That Era Put me off mascot on platformers a for a decade at least.

Me too. Literally. I hated the way 64 era games looked, played and then these stupid game systems they introduced just made the actual act of playing them a chore. I pretty much didn't play video games from 1996 until 2005, with the odd exception of playing Goldeneye, or Tony Hawk, at a friend's place, or just going back and playing SNES games. I can't believe there are developers who are still using those kinds of archaic systems.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
I've dropped a not insignificant amount of games because it took too long to get control of my character. Like sit through 20 seconds of uskippable logos on boot, sit through a couple loading screens to get into the "real" game, get put into an unskippable intro cutscene, etc. 10 minutes into my gaming session I still haven't had control of my character and I'll bounce 90% of the time. Sometimes I just wanna game

Oct 25, 2017
Almost every elder monster in MHW. I eventually came back to it, but after fighting nerg, I literally stopped playing until iceborne.

Then I stopped recently when I got to raging bracadios. My friend urges me to play but hells naw. I'm done!

I'll come back eventually lol....

Macaco5

Jan 2, 2018
Astro's Playroom stutters every time you use the hover lasers. It's not actually dropping frames or anything but the camera movement stutters for a split second every single time.

I legit thought I was the only person that noticed this! Nice to know Im not alone.

Honestly thought my OCD was on overdrive. Noticed it immediately and once you see it, yeah you can't unsee it.

Ashame as everything else is smooth as butter.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I don't like the designs of the demons in SMT games, even though I keep buying the games. I tried Devil Survivor (both DS and 3DS) and SMTIV and quit after playing dozens of hours. I keep coming back, but nope out of them. I even bought Strange Journey And SMTIV Apocalypse, but never touched them. I just can't stand those designs.

I've never quit a game because of some designs before.

swsp

Oct 27, 2017
I got annoyed during the ladder in MGS3 and turned it off. I didn't go back to the game until the Subsistence release.

VivekTO

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No Controller and forgot the controls of the game

So it was Ori and the will of the Wisps , I was making progress with controller just fine ,and than covid hit and I had to relocate to my native place. Started it again recently and... was unplayable with Keyboard and Mouse and i just forgot completely how to play the game and what I was supposed to do. I had to drop it, maybe in future I will restart it all together.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I don't feel it was petty, but I just uninstalled Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair last night because I hit another gate that halted my progress unless I went back into levels I already beat to get more hidden coins to open this gate. The first time I hit one I said "fine, I'll do it", but the second time it becomes like "if this is your gameplay loop, go shove it up your ass". I hate games, especially platformers, that make you replay levels over and over if you miss some hidden item. It's piss poor game design, and I really dislike every game that does it. Maybe that is petty, but it's how I feel.
Oh Boy!
Don't ever play Donkey Kong 64. It's full of that and at some point it requires you to play the original Donkey Kong arcade game to get a key to advance. Many people I know quit the game because of that.

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
Divinity: Original Sin. In this game, you can learn a limited amount of skills by buying a book and when you reach that limit (and at the beginning of the game you can have like 2 or 3 skills at the same time), you have to definitely erase a skill to learn a new one. You don't like the new skill that you bought? Buy again the skill you just erased.

For me , that system became a cardinal sin for a RPG and that's why I never played the sequel.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Divinity: Original Sin. In this game, you can learn a limited amount of skills by buying a book and when you reach that limit (and at the beginning of the game you can have like 2 or 3 skills at the same time), you have to definitely erase a skill to learn a new one. You don't like the new skill that you bought? Buy again the skill you just erased.

For me , that system became a cardinal sin for a RPG and that's why I never played the sequel.
But the sequel doesn't have that, you basically have a D'n'D inspired book of spells you know, with a number of them "memorized" = "ready to cast". And the number you can memorize is based on one of your stats.
Maybe you knew that, and if you did... phew, that's petty indeed

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Pillars of Eternity 2 due to the long and frequent loading times on console. Hoping that next gen fixes that

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Persona 5: Royal. I may have missed some clues for a requirement I needed to reach to get the additional content. In hindsight, this was really fucking obvious, but at the time, I was past the point of no return. I just figured I'd get an early game over, redo the game again as new game+, do a see everything playthrough.

Then I hit the airlock puzzle in a certain Palace. I hate this puzzle and it always fucks with me. Just got so lost a guide couldn't even help me. Something just snapped. Shut the game off, deleted my save, I'll try again in a few years.

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
I've dropped games for bad voice work, but I don't think that's particularly petty.

I dropped Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time partly because of the stupid babies, and partly because each character had their own action button. It was just so annoying.

I dropped Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for a variety of small, independently petty issues that gathered together and formed a massive gestalt of irritation. The speech pattern of the token kawaii critters. The voices in battle. The robot maid. The nine hundred types of consumables. The anime boob monster asking my preteen avatar to touch her chest. The camera. The jumping. I'm traumatized!

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
"There's a crafting system?"
**turns console off never to return**
God the insistence on putting crafting into everything these days suuuuucks.

It's just another level of unnecessary resource management.

EDIT: Well not everything, I don't even think it's particularly common. I wouldn't say is rare or anything though and that's the problem IMO.

Jan 10, 2018
Final Fantasy XIV: You slide around when you do combat animations. Took me out of the experience completely and ruined everything about combat. I actually really missed the animations of the first version of the game, or even FFXI for that matter (even though that had sliding as well).

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
God the insistence on putting crafting into everything these days suuuuucks.

It's just another level of unnecessary resource management.
I feel it strongly depends on the game and how much it makes sense.
For example, Don't Starve is about survival, and you have to make things from what you find. It makes sense that you need to craft, and it offers you more choice ("Do I make X or Y or save up for Z?") in a way that I feel improves the game.

What are examples of unnecessary crafting systems?

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Terraria. When the protag is hurt they sound like a baby burping or getting punched. Soo fucking annoying. Cannot play it.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know if this qualifies as petty, or just something that's a big deal for me but might not be for other people, but I really need to understand in a game where I am and why I'm there, in terms of the physical space.

Case in point, the first couple levels of Halo 4. In the first level, you're floating through space in your wrecked spaceship and encounter what looks like a giant metal wall with a doorway in it. The doorway opens and your ship gets sucked in, and in the next level you're in what looks like an outdoor environment on a planet surface under the sky. What? Did I go through a wormhole and wound up crashed on this planet? Was this planet on the other side of the giant metal wall in space? I kept playing the game but at that point I'm just totally disconnected from the story this game is trying to tell me.

Final Fantasy XIII was also really bad with this. You repeatedly just find yourself in a new setting (forest, junkyard, futuristic city, etc.) with no notion of how you got there from the last place you were in, or how it connects to the next setting you'll wind up in.

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
But the sequel doesn't have that, you basically have a D'n'D inspired book of spells you know, with a number of them "memorized" = "ready to cast". And the number you can memorize is based on one of your stats.
Maybe you knew that, and if you did... phew, that's petty indeed

About the sequel? No, I don't know anything about it, I just chose to ignore it (litterally, on Steam) so maybe I should give it a chance one day. I don't know. But, hey, this thread is about petty reasons to stop playing a game and I think that might be the pettiest of all of the reasons why I dropped a game.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
About the sequel? No, I don't know anything about it, I just chose to ignore it (figuratively, on Steam) so maybe I should give it a chance one day. I don't know. But, hey, this thread is about petty reasons to stop playing a game and I think that might be the pettiest of all of the reasons why I dropped a game.
I never played DOS1, but DOS2 is one of my favourite games of all timso I wanted to share the information that the issue you had with DOS1 is gone.
Hope that if you give it a try, it doesn't do anything else that ruins your enjoyment of what I consider a wonderful game

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Your kid gets sick, and your exposition-machine Mimir tells you to go to Freya. The game already established she was a healer, so that made perfect sense. Atreus protested, but I didn't care. He was coughing up blood, and Kratos mentioned he's always been a sickly kid. So I backtrack a little bit and go to her home to heal my boy. Turns out the door's closed, and the head-guy starts sassing me for even trying the very thing he suggested. Annoying, but whatever. If it has different plans for the sick boy storyline, then fair enough. I go all the way back to where I was on the regular crit path, and pretty much immediately afterwards, the game's tells me to go back to Freya's house, but this time for realsies.

I "took a break" for the evening, and just never picked it back up again.

The game was already on notice for Atreus' ability to do on-the-fly translations of riddles that somehow still perfectly make sense in English, and also rhyme.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
On my third attempt to play The World Ends With You, I was turned it off this time as I forgot how immature Neku was in the beginning. I hadn't tried to play in many years, and he was just annoying.

Still gonna try to get into it again.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I didn't want to play Remnant that much because there was no option to hide the helmet. Then they added it and I got back into the game :)

Always add the option to hide the helmet.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly why I stopped playing The Division when it first came out. Bullet sponge bosses in a somewhat realistic game make zero sense to me. I know they made it better (for example Division 2 isn't like this except against heavily armored enemies, so it makes more sense), but that first time? Ooof

Yep that's a perfect example. I also quit it for the same reason.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
Oh one of two reasons I dropped Hollow Knight was because of the voice acting sounds for the animals - they honstly were straight up fingernails on chalkboard for my ears.

Pretty sure that qualifies as petty but sound is half the experience and if I'd rather turn it off I'll have to pass

yeahwrite

Apr 17, 2020
Just stopped playing Call of the Sea because the moving speed is a tad bit too slow, even when sprinting.
I just stopped playing this because it's the first game to ever make me feel woozy. Literally never had a problem with it in my 30+ years of gaming. The FOV is so close and every time I changed the slider in the options (playing on PC) it would just pop back to 75. That, plus the weird drifty kind of camera made me feel terrible while playing it. Plenty of games on Game Pass that won't make me feel like I stood up too fast while playing them, so I un-installed Call of the Sea.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this is petty since it fundamentally changed the gameplay loop in a way I didn't care for, but I dropped MHW: Iceborne because of the wounding mechanic which I just didn't find fun. Softening parts feels like frustrating busywork inserted into the middle of a system that was already functioning nearly perfectly.

nikwhatsup

Jun 15, 2018
Red Dead Redemption 2 because how slow all of the animations were.

FF7 Remake because of a quest where I had to find children and bring them back to their pre-school or whatever it was, just felt so unecessary and I just wanted to fight monsters.

Death stranding because I didn't want to fight, just deliver packages lol.

winkerstein

May 5, 2020
North America
Numerous times in Madden after throwing an interception that was plainly obviously my fault. I'd blame the game and say "eh fuck this then."

Thats why I love doing my franchise mode in the cloud because I can pick up where I left off in the game.

edit: I misread the OP. I spent $60 at launch on Crysis 2 because my friend and I loved the beta for the game for some reason. My friend ended up not getting it at launch even though we both agreed to so we could play together. Played the MP for probably 30 minutes and got destroyed over and over again and then returned the game by the end of the week, mostly because I was salty my friend didn't get it too. Pretty sure I brought it back to gamestop and put the money towards a preorder for something else haha.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I just tried it and the bike felt slow as hell, controls didn't click, and then the crafting and gathering. I just said forget it, I'm over that style of game.
The problem w/ Days Gone is you have to upgrade (everything, including) the bike to feel worth a damn and it takes HOURS to get to that point. Once you do, it's fantastic but I don't blame anyone for giving up early.

Shame on the devs for putting the "fun" of the game behind 10-12 hours of "ahaa struggle because you're underpowered and slow!" to get there.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess KH3 because my save file corrupted at the final world where the "story" was

and I said "fuck this game for wasting my time" ejected the disk and sold it for store credit immediately.

yeahwrite

Apr 17, 2020
I quit Far Cry Primal after it was clear how much crafting and scavenging I'd have to do. I should have expected it, but I wasn't in the mood. I guess I wanted something more like that King Kong game on Xbox 360. I just wanted to aggressively throw spears at enemies, I didn't want to make and upgrade them.

Any game that wants to make puttering around in menus a significant part of its experience is gonna lose me real quick.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
mhw-kirin_render.png

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I've quit a lot of mobile games before playing even a second of gameplay as they require me to register an account with something or give my google details etc

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Very recently, I played Crypt of the NecroDancer for about ten minutes, absolutely detested the fact that I could only move my character with the beat of the music and not whenever I wanted to, so I turned it off and deleted it.

Didn't really give it a fair shake at all, but whatever, I got it free via a store mishap.

c043y

Oct 25, 2017
quit Quantum Break during the last boss fight while you fight Littlefinger. It was so stupid and annoying, I was enjoying the story too.

Nov 1, 2017
Decided to boot-up Worms Rumble. I quit the game when I realized the Scottish voice was no longer an option. You can't play a Worms game without Scottish worms! :O