• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Yall have some weird definitions for petty here

Long load times and unsavory portraits of some people are perfectly valid reasons to drop something

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Assassins Creed Rogue on PC not supporting framerates above 60fps, i need that high refresh goodness.

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
Having to watch an unskippable cinematic after wiping on a boss in Tales of Vesperia, after the fifth go, I said eh fuck it and never looked back.

Maybe_its_Cthulhu

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ghostrunner because it didn't have a benchmark.

I didn't want to fiddle with settings to get the perfect visual and frame-rate options with Ray tracing during gameplay.
I prefer to set everything before I started the game\story
So I quit out and haven't played it since.

I should go back to it really, especially as I loved the demo.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Personally, I can't think of any but my teenage son has some pretty petty reasons to quit games:
- Quit Assassin's creed because he couldn't jump properly and only had a 'parkour' button
- Quit Spider-man because
"He found out Aunt May died by the end"
- Quit Doom Eternal because he found it too hard on Hurt Me Plenty and even though he found the challenge acceptable on "I'm Too Young to Die" he found the idea of playing with a difficulty level of that name insulting

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I died in the first gunfight of RDR2 and there was no checkpointing, so it made me go all the way back to trundle through the snow again. I closed it, uninstalled it, and haven't touched it since.

TomPUH

Oct 30, 2017
I've put more hours than I'll admit into Rocket League (Steam) and stopped playing when they required me to make an epic account to even boot the game up.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I recently quit playing Call of the Sea after 15 minutes because I couldn't deal with how it felt to move around the camera. Felt like crap for both controller and mouse and I don't know if the game was running poorly or the settings for that stuff were borked. Couldn't be bother to tweak a config file or whatever.

I basically have zero patience for first person indies these days that don't feel perfect right out of the box. I don't get why this is so common.
I haven't gone back to it yet, but it's the Vsync. Your option is to play as a drunk, or cap the framerate and deal with tearing.

I got Dust: An Elysian Tail as a free game and gave up on it before making it to any kind of gameplay because the voice work on the intro was so annoying. I just pulled it up on YouTube and remember noping out less than 90 seconds after your character wakes up.

Yep. I couldn't get past the VA work at all.

Blossom Tales -
I quit because the grandpa/grandkids kept literally stopping the gameplay to narrate that tired ass story. I never got to the point where they cut it out.

Enter the Gungeon-
Quit once I realized you couldn't keep any of your weapons and could only unlocked the *chance* of getting your weapon of choice on a run or whatever, instead of being able to have some permanent equipment items to help build your run. Pretty much took out my interest in roguelites for a while too.

Freedom Planet -
Almost noped out because I thought the story was too melodramatic, but gave arcade mode a chance and ended up loving Lilic and the puppy chick's gameplay. Still won't touch story mode though.

Too Many Games (usually indie) to Count -
I found the controls to be jank, but couldn't change or remap them.

Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone on PS5. I fired it up, hated the motorcycle controls, and hated the feel of the movement, and then I turned it off after 4 minutes. I will probably try it again when there is nothing to play, which will be after the apocalypse.
I just tried it and the bike felt slow as hell, controls didn't click, and then the crafting and gathering. I just said forget it, I'm over that style of game.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I launched a game on PC that - if I remember correctly - used a blow-in-the-cartridge joke animation for the developer or publisher logo THEN used the same blow-in-the-cartridge joke for starting the game proper. I immediately Alt + F4'd the game and haven't played since. I can't even remember the name of the game.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Watch Pups 2.

How do you do, fellow kids? The Game.

That and it just felt like a laundry list of things to do.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I guess the pettiest reason for me would just be...that it didn't keep me engaged enough to play and I just quit for no particular reason.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's petty or not, but bullet sponge enemies will make me quit nearly every shooter. I couldn't get through more than a half hour or Gears 5 because killing enemies just doesn't feel good to me when I have to unload a clip into them every time. Then I went and played Wolfenstein Youngblood, which is rated far worse, and enjoyed my time with it much more because of the low TTK on most enemies.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, everyone says this, and the problem is I can't quite identify what is wrong. It feels sluggish, I think it may be the acceleration?

Are you talking about competitive perhaps? As a PC player, the competitive gunplay feels terrible due to a very low tickrate. Singleplayer is fine though with fast, immediate feedback, low TTK, big weakpoint hitboxes, and good enemy reactions.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any game that tries to shove a bunch of story upfront can wear my patient thin, especially when it's just a passing curiosity and I'd like to get to the game part of the play, but no sit through our unskippable cutscenes and incessant dialogues!

On a more direct note: Shadow of the Tomb Raider, turned off by the AA solutions which are just the worst at 1080p and make everything look like someone ran a photoshop art filter over it, why, why, why. The game had better AA solutions in the prior entries, I don't know what happened.

LDigital

Oct 27, 2020
I don't feel it was petty, but I just uninstalled Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair last night because I hit another gate that halted my progress unless I went back into levels I already beat to get more hidden coins to open this gate. The first time I hit one I said "fine, I'll do it", but the second time it becomes like "if this is your gameplay loop, go shove it up your ass". I hate games, especially platformers, that make you replay levels over and over if you miss some hidden item. It's piss poor game design, and I really dislike every game that does it. Maybe that is petty, but it's how I feel.
That is N64 Era Gameplay to a Tee. That Era Put me off mascot on platformers a for a decade at least. I would bail on that too.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Doom Eternal.

You pass a checkpoint with 3 extra lives. You lose one, but open the menu and choose to revert to the checkpoint. How many lives do you have left?

2 lives. Lives aren't saved at the checkpoint.

And so I freed up 100 GB of disk space.

kauec

Chicken Chaser
Dec 27, 2017
Brazil
Are you talking about competitive perhaps? As a PC player, the competitive gunplay feels terrible due to a very low tickrate. Singleplayer is fine though with fast, immediate feedback, low TTK, big weakpoint hitboxes, and good enemy reactions.

SP actually. I've played maybe a couple hours of it but couldn't adjust. Ever since I started playing Apex Legends, I can't play most FPS because they just don't feel good to play. The only ones that feel good are Titanfall 2 and Modern Warfare because I feel the aiming is similar, snappy and responsive.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Far Cry 3

As an uber FC2 fanboy, FC3 just left me cold the moment I was set in the world. After the admittedly awesome opening cut scenes, I dropped in and was immediately told to go see the doctor (if memory serves). That's fine, no problem.

But I wanted to explore my immediate surroundings first. Get a feel for the space. But the quest objective just stayed there in the top-right corner of the screen. Worse, I believe it would start flashing every 10 or 20 seconds or so. It was completely distracting and immersion-breaking.

Coming off of Far Cry 2's incredible open-world sandbox design, it felt like an insult. FC2 was praised for it's open-ended, do it how you want to do it, mission design. And here I was being badgered with on-screen mission prompts leading me by the nose 10 seconds into the game. It was the antithesis of FC2's game flow. It made me feel like the game was dumbed down for the masses.

I never did go to see that doctor. I simply quit the game and haven't looked back on the entire franchise since.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Yeah, everyone says this, and the problem is I can't quite identify what is wrong. It feels sluggish, I think it may be the acceleration?

On console it was limited to 30fps until now. So that could be it (if you played on console). I tried it on console and didn't have fun.

Also, I find that I only have fun when I can find an assault rifle that just clicks with me. I do not have fun with a lot of the weapons in Destiny 2.

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
I fell off the mountain outside the starting point as adult Aloy in Horizon and never went back to the game.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
I've quit games that make you start at the beginning of a level if you die. I hate that shit. I feel like there's absolutely no point in doing that aside from testing the player's patience. Why am I retracing my steps for 3-5 minutes just to get back to where I left off?

I almost dropped Nier Automata at that "Become As Gods" tower level coz it would start me like 8 floors down after getting crushed by something. Thankfully I made it through to the boss but then dropped it after that. Lol

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
I was trying to give Lego Marvel Super Heroes a go on PS4, but it didn't have an option to invert the Y Axis. I tried for about an hour but I just couldn't get used to it and stopped

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
invisible walls in the first 10 minutes. deleted that game and will never return. no thanks bad game design.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I try reinstalling Diablo 3 from time to time to see if new seasons did anything worth new but every time i forget to change regions and the game installs on forced portuguese-br i just uninstall it right back

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Ninjala was such an immediately confusing and unrewarding experience for me that I quit halfway through my first ever match and uninstalled on the spot.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
DKC2. Super excited to play it, as the original is one of my all-time favorites. Parents bought it, I loaded it up, realized I couldn't play as Donkey Kong and I immediately was done with it. I didn't like Diddy at all in the first one and I just didn't want to play as him regardless of how good the game was. I was a stupid kid.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
DKC2. Super excited to play it, as the original is one of my all-time favorites. Parents bought it, I loaded it up, realized I couldn't play as Donkey Kong and I immediately was done with it. I didn't like Diddy at all in the first one and I just didn't want to play as him regardless of how good the game was. I was a stupid kid.

Not that stupid, theres no reason to not use dixie all the time in DKC2 anyway

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I don't know if it's petty or not, but bullet sponge enemies will make me quit nearly every shooter. I couldn't get through more than a half hour or Gears 5 because killing enemies just doesn't feel good to me when I have to unload a clip into them every time.
This is exactly why I stopped playing The Division when it first came out. Bullet sponge bosses in a somewhat realistic game make zero sense to me. I know they made it better (for example Division 2 isn't like this except against heavily armored enemies, so it makes more sense), but that first time? Ooof

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
I'm actually not sure I'd call my decisions petty (especially today with the overabundance of cheap games and services like Gamepass and PSNow) but when you mentioned Pillars of Eternity I was reminded how - still during the intro - I decided the game was not worth my time because of how your first companion just completely unearnedly joins your party. I quit out, uninstalled and sold it.

God of War (PSNow) I quit out and uninstalled during the intro because of how restrictive and slow like molasses everything felt. What an enfuriatingly paced intro - it didn't help that I knew that it wouldn't change much. Metal Gear Solid 5 (PS Plus) was very similar - didn't get past the intro. Death Stranding (library rental) as well, quit and uninstalled when the first real mission after the intro already bored me to tears. Evil Within (PSNow), while very atmospheric just felt so bad to control I didn't want to get over it. Quit during the woods after the intro.

This barely happens when I play indies though. Probably because they are much focused experiences and usually get straight to the point without trying to achieve a million things in their game

Last edited:

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Dead Island, just level up, now all the zombie are level two..... ok let's see if this is not a trend, level up one more time, the zombie around me just magickly level up.... I'm out

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I have ever stopped playing a game out of pettiness.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually not sure I'd call my decisions petty (especially today with the overabundance of cheap games and services like Gamepass and PSNow) but when you mentioned Pillars of Eternity I was reminded how - still during the intro - I decided the game was not worth my time because of how your first companion just completely unearnedly joins your party. I quit out, uninstalled and sold it.

if you ever pick it up in the future you'll see

that character lives for exactly as long as the intro last

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much dropped Rage 2 in a heartbeat because on both controller and mouse, the aiming felt weird. Like there was some unnatural acceleration to it.
I can't get through Bug Fables because something is wrong with how that game moves the camera around or something, and it feels like there's tons of jutter even when the framerate and framepacing are perfectly smooth.
Halo 2 having two awful, pace-breaking "wave defense" segments back-to-back in the first Arbiter level made me drop the entire series.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I recently started playing Dragon Age Origins, but the text in 4K is so freakin' tiny I'm thinking of uninstalling and playing Inquisition instead.

I've looked for a fix, but there doesn't appear to be one.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Injustice 1 was fun, but it was so ugly I couldn't bring myself to play it, lol.