• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just decided to re-install Pillars of Eternity and remembered that I originally stopped playing because I chose a race that couldn't equip helmets. I was fully aware of this choice when making the character, I just got incredibly frustrated by it after about 90 minutes and quit. Trying to remedy that now.

So Era, how bout you? What's the silliest, pettiest reason you've ever stopped playing something?

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I shot a gunman in the arm in LA Noire just before he was about to execute a hostage after a long chase. I then started walking toward him to apprehend him as he was still recoiling.

He then suddenly completely recovered as if nothing happened just before shooting the hostage in the head with his still shot-up gun arm

bs. what was the point of chasing him if I was going to be forced to kill him in the first place? Why even code in enemies reacting to getting shot in the arm if it can't disarm them? I'm supposed to be a cop in the game, but it just wanted to be Gears or some shit

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I get hung up on the smallest things all the time. The first one that comes to mind is the transition between walking (or standing?) and running animation being non-existent in Pokemon LGPE, which was accompanied by an abrupt change of the camera's panning speed. The screen does this jerky stutter each time you hold the run button that really bothered me. Thankfully I encountered this in the demo, so I didn't actually have to return anything.

Last edited:

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Just stopped playing Call of the Sea because the moving speed is a tad bit too slow, even when sprinting.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
"Oh so this material has a droprate of 0,01% only during a half-moon for 3 seconds on the last monday of December"

kauec

Chicken Chaser
Dec 27, 2017
Brazil
Because the aiming didn't feel good even though I was loving the game. Recent examples are DOOM and Destiny 2, both on PS4.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
idk if this is petty, but the moment The Messenger turned into a
Metroidvania
, I dropped it

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I think how the camera automatically positions itself on Fable Anniversary made me quit. Was on Gamepass, ran around the village for 5 minutes, got annoyed with the camera and quit.

Oct 27, 2017
I've had to stop playing numerous games because I couldn't read the fucking godamn text. Death Stranding was the first one, had to wait until they released the text patch before I could play, awesome game. Then again with Outer Worlds which was ridiculous, couldn't even start the game due to this until they released a text scale patch. Then I bought Darkwood which looked like it would be a cool game, and yet again, text size is too fucking small. I know I'm in the minority here because I'm still stuck on a 42in plasma, but come the fuck on.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team is very very heavily tutorialized and has a companion characters who halts your progress to explain very straightforward actions. It's been years so I do not remember the sequence exactly anymore, but I remember how it made me feel.

I think it went like this...

1) Mario & Luigi fall down a hole into a small room with nothing in it. There is a visible exit. The companion character halts player control, acknowledges that they fell down a hole, then says they should explore the exit. This was the first time I ever felt insulted by a video game, but I pushed on.

2) As you leave the room, there is a small gap that can be jumped over. As you approach it, the companion character stops you again to tell you that you should try jumping over the gap.

I was so annoyed. I couldn't believe the game expected me to be that stupid. I ejected it from the system and traded it in. It is not fun to play games that think I am that dumb.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Ninja Gaiden 3 tried to force me to kill a soldier begging for mercy at the beginning of the game.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
One of many for me is when I quit Evil Within 2 because the character puts away his weapon automatically when he's "not in danger" even if the situation is super scary as he walks into a shady place. Completely killed the immersion for me. It's always very stupid when games want to decide that kind of stuff for me.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped playing whatever F1 game is on PS Now because it forced me into some type of career mode before I could even do an exhibition race.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I got Dust: An Elysian Tail as a free game and gave up on it before making it to any kind of gameplay because the voice work on the intro was so annoying. I just pulled it up on YouTube and remember noping out less than 90 seconds after your character wakes up.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I get hung up on the smallest things all the time. The first one that comes to mind is the transition between walking and running animation being non-existent in Pokemon LGPE. The screen does this jerky stutter each time you hold the run button that really bothered me. Thankfully I encountered in the demo, so I didn't actually have to return anything.

Astro's Playroom stutters every time you use the hover lasers. It's not actually dropping frames or anything but the camera movement stutters for a split second every single time.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Animal Crossing because of breaking tools.

There's no reason to add a "you should stop having fun now" mechanic to this game.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sniper Ghost Warrior. 3 seconds in I got stuck on what was effectively a rock that was roughly a centimetre off the floor. I had to jump over it. I immediately stopped playing and got a refund.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Got through Nier Automata's long intro. Came back to play the next day. Realize that the game didn't autosave my progress, so i just stopped playing it. I don't feel like going through the intro again, but one day i'll jump back in when i feel like it.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't feel it was petty, but I just uninstalled Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair last night because I hit another gate that halted my progress unless I went back into levels I already beat to get more hidden coins to open this gate. The first time I hit one I said "fine, I'll do it", but the second time it becomes like "if this is your gameplay loop, go shove it up your ass". I hate games, especially platformers, that make you replay levels over and over if you miss some hidden item. It's piss poor game design, and I really dislike every game that does it. Maybe that is petty, but it's how I feel.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I got Dust: An Elysian Tail as a free game and gave up on it before making it to any kind of gameplay because the voice work on the intro was so annoying. I just pulled it up on YouTube and remember noping out less than 90 seconds after your character wakes up.
I can relate to this. I powered through it though because it is a really solid Metroidvania otherwise.

Just that annoying sidekick..... So bad.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
Assassin's Creed 1. In the first few minutes of the game, I get some message that says I should move slowly to avoid alerting the guards. So I press the analog stick just a little ways so that my character walked really slowly. The guards got alerted anyway. Apparently there was some specific "walk slowly for sneaking" button or something which I was meant to press. I quit the game instantly and have never played an Assassin's Creed game since.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Days Gone on PS5. I fired it up, hated the motorcycle controls, and hated the feel of the movement, and then I turned it off after 4 minutes. I will probably try it again when there is nothing to play, which will be after the apocalypse.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Getting bodied in kof '96 when it first released (it was the first KOF game that took off in my local scene) after being a top contender locally for SS2, FFspecial and FF Real Bout 1.
Obviosuly it couldn't be that I had to improve... nope, "gamesux, never again". Thank god SamSho 4 dropped soon after so I could nurse my tantrum... Literally never replayed kof96 until years and years later but I did mature enough over that next year to substantially engage with KOF97 come the next year and by the time 98 came out it was my fav series.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I don't feel it was petty, but I just uninstalled Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair last night because I hit another gate that halted my progress unless I went back into levels I already beat to get more hidden coins to open this gate. The first time I hit one I said "fine, I'll do it", but the second time it becomes like "if this is your gameplay loop, go shove it up your ass". I hate games, especially platformers, that make you replay levels over and over if you miss some hidden item. It's piss poor game design, and I really dislike every game that does it. Maybe that is petty, but it's how I feel.
Yeah, I hated this stuff in Mario 3D World and Sackboy: A Big Adventure, too.

"Oh, you want to progress? Well, you didn't grab enough of what should be this optional item, so go replay levels, mmkay?"

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
I recently quit playing Call of the Sea after 15 minutes because I couldn't deal with how it felt to move around the camera. Felt like crap for both controller and mouse and I don't know if the game was running poorly or the settings for that stuff were borked. Couldn't be bother to tweak a config file or whatever.

I basically have zero patience for first person indies these days that don't feel perfect right out of the box. I don't get why this is so common.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I have quit an game in the tutorial where you were forced to do a certain combo move. For whatever reason I could not get the move to work. There was no option to get out. You were stuck until you managed the move. I just quit the game and never booted it up again

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I dropped Titan Quest because i couldnt beat a boss using the skill i wanted
I could with my build, just using another skill - but i wanted to beat with this specific one, and couldnt, so i meh'd out of it

Bonus entry, almost dropped DQXI because of Gemma screaming every five seconds in battle during the intro segment

All the more reason to do it differently in a game

Phelps isnt a good cop though

Oct 27, 2017
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team is very very heavily tutorialized and has a companion characters who halts your progress to explain very straightforward actions. It's been years so I do not remember the sequence exactly anymore, but I remember how it made me feel.

I think it went like this...

1) Mario & Luigi fall down a hole into a small room with nothing in it. There is a visible exit. The companion character halts player control, acknowledges that they fell down a hole, then says they should explore the exit. This was the first time I ever felt insulted by a video game, but I pushed on.

2) As you leave the room, there is a small gap that can be jumped over. As you approach it, the companion character stops you again to tell you that you should try jumping over the gap.

I was so annoyed. I couldn't believe the game expected me to be that stupid. I ejected it from the system and traded it in. It is not fun to play games that think I am that dumb.
If memory doesn't fail me, that character forced you through tutorials in the last dungeon. The game never stopped dropping tutorials your way, lol.

Oct 27, 2017
the moment the MC of Xenoblade 2 mentioned the power of friendship without irony, i took the game out of my switch, put it back in its case, and traded it in

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably never going to play paradise killer because the buttons on the nintendo e-shop are so colourblind unfriendly that I can't see them

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Monster Hunter World, co-op was a little too annoying, so me and my friend kinda just never went back.
The Elder Scrolls Online, there's just too much I always get overwhelmed and drop it.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I recently quit playing Call of the Sea after 15 minutes because I couldn't deal with how it felt to move around the camera. Felt like crap for both controller and mouse and I don't know if the game was running poorly or the settings for that stuff were borked. Couldn't be bother to tweak a config file or whatever.

I basically have zero patience for first person indies these days that don't feel perfect right out of the box. I don't get why this is so common.

Poor first-person camera aiming on controllers is a blight even in massive AAA games. I'm hesitant to pick up Deathloop on PS5 primarily because Arkane's last two major releases, Dishonored 2 and Prey, both had god-awful controls on consoles. Even bloody Overwatch didn't have good controls until a whole ton of granular options were patched in.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
MH4U. My first and only Monster Hunter.

The first mission on the ship was fun but then the game immediately gave complete freedom to me and I had no idea what to do.
I tried a quest and I literally had no idea what to do because there is no tutorial. I also tried the quests where you can try weapons but there are too much and I had no idea which to use.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
load times. GTA 5 was nice, but playing online....holy shit...loading times the game. Having an SSD and getting used to it, and all of a sudden I'm back to 5200rpm speeds to just play that game online. Uninstalled.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Non-skippable cutscenes or non-skippable tutorials are notorious for making me quit a game altogether.