• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I have two names.

Eldhose and Basil

I only use "Eldhose" at work and church but "Basil" is something that my family calls me.

Ironically, most of my family assumed my first name was "Basil" but were shocked when it was "Eldhose" - most of them found out when I had my wedding.

---

Both names originated from a Saint in Kerala, India - who was originally from the middle east 600 years ago - came to India on a pilgrimage.

The name of the Saint was "Yeldho Mar Baselios".

Yeldho = Eldhose
Baselios = Basil

http://syriacchristianity.info/bio/MorBaseliosYeldho.htm

Eldhose in my language means "Christmas" or "Birth of Christ".

Basil means "King" or "Emperor".

Both names are common names from my hometown of Kothamangalam.

----

My username is based upon one of my names "Basil".

"Zero" came from watching Gundam Wing and Zoids Zero Century.

Wing Gundam Zero

and

Ligar Zero

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
My username is (according to Google) the Hawaiian equivalent of my actual name.

Which is cool, as my name comes from an anglicisation of a Scottish Gaelic one - I'll let you detectives figure that out. Nifty to have two variants based on pronunciation as far away geographically as possible.

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
My nickname has been Pockets for 25 years.

I've rolled with it and will continue to roll with it. You can't stop me.

BTW, it's also my PSN name. So it's all good on my side.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
My dad's nickname was so used and by so many people that a lot of people didn't even realize that wasn't his real name. When he named me, he named me something that sounded similar to that.

My screen name came from me wanting to use something different since I was tired of whatever name I was using at the time. I ended up with something like Aintie or some such and from that I kinda changed it to Einchy, just a word I made up that sounded and looked cool to me.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
My mom got my name from talking to another pregnant lady at the hospital. The pregnant lady had two names in mind. One for if she had a girl and one for a boy. Since she ended up having a girl my mom took the boys name.

Also I got my nickname at birth. My dad's nickname was Nabop. So they were going to call me Debop but only the name dee stuck.

My username is a combination of my real names with random numbers.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally....

My m always looked like an n when I wrote.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
My first name was given to me by my Grandfather, during the 2nd world war he changed his name to a more English version of his German forename. I got the English name he changed to, my son got my Grandfathers original German name.

Surname is Irish and very rare. Don't know anyone who's not either directly related or traceable back to great great grandparents in the late 19th century, that includes on Facebook. I'm the only person in the world with my name as far as I know. Name originally came from the Iberian Peninsula and went across Europe to Ireland with the Celts. I do see variations across areas with Celtic history and as names changed so much the actual amount of people with the same starting point as my name will be huge. Considering the politics of Ireland in the 19th century it's possible the reason it all stems from there was due to a quick name change to avoid prosecution, probably going from an Anglicized version to a more traditional version.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
J is my first initial.

ToSaveTheDay was some silly rhyme scheme that also fit my perception of what I wanted from games at the time of its inception (the feeling of being a hero). This username only began to exist when I got a PS3 in 2007 and needed a PSN username. I've since taken endearment to it and used it for pretty much all of my gaming-related personas, and a bit of my public-facing ones too (like Twitter).

julian

Oct 27, 2017
For 30 years I'd been led to believe I was partly named after a great aunt, but it turns out that was a lie. My mother didn't even realize it was a lie. My overly controlling grand father talked my mother into the name with some bullshit justification but really he named me after his favorite cousin. He's a famous author and my first and middle name are straight out of his most popular book. We realized this during my grandfather's shiva when we picked up his first edition, turned to the first page, and saw my name in the first paragraph. The inscription to my grandfather really sealed the deal, "To [redacted], The Stag".

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I have no idea why my parents chose my name. I don't think there was any logic behind it other than it sounding cool.

My screenname is obviously just my real name, haha.

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My mother said she "just knew what my name was". So just pulled it out her ass.

My username is just me utilizing the Dutch name to play on my middle name.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My first name is the same as my dad's but he named me after his friend who passed away and had the same name. My middle name is the default placeholder boy name and my last name is actually my paternal grandmother's second marriage - into an Irish catholic family. My "genetic" lineage last names were former rival Scottish clans. Not Hatfield Mccoy levels but still ironic.

My handle is just a fake ridiculous pet name to avoid accidentally edgelording.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
My first name isn't significant in the family, just culturally significant. They chose it over other names because it was widely used in America.

My middle name is my father's name.

My last name is the village my parents are from.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Doctor Slek. A cartoon character on a saturday morning music show called Recovery.

Oh wait, we're talking about actual names? My last name is old Irish for Raven, and my first name is from an Irish rock star that my parents really liked.

Oct 25, 2017
Named after Rory Gallagher and my dad got my middle name from one of replicants in Blade Runner (his favourite movie)

Anung is hellboy's real name.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My first name was chosen at random in a baby book by my mom. I got very lucky because she was in the male name section but landed on a gender neutral name that is commonly seen as feminine.

As for my username, I love Star Trek, Surak is the father of modern logic for Vulcans, and as a believer of logic, that makes me Surak-ian.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I like slide rules. One of the most beautiful examples of this analogue computer was the Keuffel & Esser Duplex Log Log Decitrig. It was constructed of mahogany with cellulose coating, and the scale was machine printed. Later models are plastic, which feels flimsier and is not so satisfying to operate.

After more than two centuries of dominance, these computing devices were swept away and forgotten in the mid-1970s as digital electronic pocket calculators with far greater precision became affordable.

But good models are still available, and I collect them. This is where my username comes from.

My real name? Apparently my mother chose the name after a cousin who died before I was born. I love my name.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
My username is my real life first name. I legally changed it to Robin when I transitioned, it was the name my mother and father were going to name me if I was AFAB.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
my name is jon

some guy in college called me 'jon bones' once like 15 years ago and none of my friends have stopped since

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
My first name is from an old Celtic word meaning "high" or "noble". My username is from a mythological figure, notably from the British '80s show Robin of Sherwood.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
My actual first name was taken from an old story from my grandparent's country of origin. I've never actually read the story, maybe I should.

My username is a kitbash of multiple words/names in an attempt to create a unique handle with elements of things that made up my life, appeal to me, or just sounded pleasant.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
My screen name is from one of my favorite cards and designs from Magic: The Gathering. I changed it over from Leunam during the exodus.

I'm named after my father and grandfather. I don't plan on having kids so I guess it ends with me.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
My parents were hippies when they were younger. They named me after a river.

Historically speaking, the name is an old Scottish clan name. It shows up a lot in Ireland too. It's more common as a surname than a first name.

My username is derived from Soviet Field Marshal Georgi Zhukov, best known for the battle of Stalingrad and the Battle of Berlin in WWII. Many years ago I needed a username for a strategy game and using a general's name seemed thematically appropriate.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My real name comes from the Latin root of fire. It's a common name, and I was named after my father.

Screen name is after this dude. Korean guy that moved to japan and did strongman acts to pretend he was a karate superman. I am a black belt in his style of karate, and I love it, but never bought into the bullshit myth.

Mas%20Oyama%20Bull%20Fight%20article.jpg

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
My first name is my dad's best friend from way back.

As fate would have it, he ended up abusing me when i was a teenager so ive been meaning to change it, never got around to it. Hard to rename yourself after so long.

Not sure about my middle name. I think it's after a saint.

Username is a variation of my username at the old place. I was doing a lot of Linux work back then.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'm named mainly after Keith Richards, my dad's name is Richard and he also knew someone names Keith Richards not the Rolling Stone growing up so I have a triple threat thing going on lol.

My user name started when I made a Twitter, I wanted to use the @ symbol in a kind of clever way so I made it night814, 814 being my area code and the night is for me always having been a night owl. I've continued using it because I got tired of my old username; Jago00920. Which doesn't really mean anything aside from me playing a lot of Killer Instinct on SNES with Jago when I first made GameFAQs and NeoSeeker accounts in like 2000.

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
I was originally going to be named Zach but my dad changed it to an Irish name at the last minute for some reason. My middle name, along with my siblings, comes from someone in our family. My screen name is from my favorite book character.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
I was named a biblical name that you can't nickname. My father got teased for his name, and my mom is religious.

Middle name was my great grandfather's name.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My first name means "radiant" in the country it's derived from.
My middle name is taken from a character from Sanskrit mythology, which is a tradition in my extended family (all my cousins/uncle/aunts from my mother's side have this kind of name).
My other middle name is taken from a royalty of my country's past, which is another family tradition.
My last name is just my father's name, because he only has one name.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I made an MMO character who dual-wielded swords, and I didn't want to think too hard about the name.

Oct 30, 2017
First name is Biblical, meaning "god like", middle mirrors my fathers. Last name is a generational clan from northern Ireland. My wife is a blood descendant of Aaron Burr.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Real name is a family name and also in the Bible which was important to my parents. Screen name is just a sword that Marth uses.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
first name is uncles name, middle name is just some name I have no idea the significance of, last name a pretty common vaguely british / northern european last name

i am ungoogleable because my full name is exceedingly generic