• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Demons Souls around the time it was a US import here in EU was very niche in 2009. Safe to say i got stuck early and dropped it when reaching tower knight. It was like 6 years after with bloodborne i got into the series again.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Somebody's played it here, no doubt... but I guess I'd have to say maybe DoomRL?
YCfof4q.png

I just downloaded it to take a screenshot. The version I remember playing didn't have sprites, it just had like... an "@" symbol and a map made with like ASCII art or something.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Definitely this, never played the sequel multi tho

Darwinia.jpg

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really dont think people know what niche is. Niche must have a small but very voiced community, not some random game that nobody have ever heard of

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
thd9jCW.png

You need a rudimentary understanding of thermodynamics and digital logic to get good at the game.
Or just mooch blueprints off of people who know what they're doing.

theperrin

Oct 27, 2017
Mine would have to be a 90s western point and click adventure game. Dust: A Tale of the Wired West.

dust_screenshot2.jpg

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Spider-Man....I've not read the whole thread and I'm aware I won't be the first to make that joke....but it will never not be funny that someone thought Spider-Man was niche.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Probably one of the sports simulators.. Front Office Football or something. Used to be really into those and to play them you have to really be into sports and also like simulating sports games and not playing them.

It's like a niche within a niche

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
20 years ago you could get some PC games from ice cream delivery service cars in Finland. One of the games was even ice cream themed!

Both of them had great soundtracks. I havem't heard of these games being distributed in any other form than buying them from the finnish ice cream delivery cars.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I have Video Girl Lun for PC ... if that's not niche I don't know what is !
I wouldn't be surprised if i were the sole owner of the game in my country... same for Resetera, i doubt anyone else ever played that.
lun53kub.png

Also, Freedom, a game by Coktel Vision where you play a slave raising a rebellion in a Martinique plantation.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Probably some ZX Spectrum game that only people from the UK might know but it being so long ago that I have forgotten the name of or indeed ever having played it.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Unless everyone else secretly played it for their entire childhood too, it's Sonic's Schoolhouse. Also I didn't even play it properly, I just ran around the school making the walls change color.

oshiden

Oct 28, 2017
iu
CYPHER, €5 on Steam.

I strongly recommend it if you want to learn how cryptography evolved over time.

Good luck trying to decode all of the puzzles (there's even the Enigma one).

Jul 8, 2018
Interactive fiction aka modern text adventures in general. Most people don't seem to care or even realize there's a thriving community that's still making them.

If I need to pick one particular game though, I'd say it's The Ice-Bound Concordance. It's one of the best pieces of IF I've ever played, but it's pretty unknown even among IF enthusiasts since you need an actual physical book to play the game. RPS wrote a review for it, but it's still really really obscure.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
a german 90s Windows 95 point'n'click first person puzzle-adventure about classical music.

ARUS_Opera_Pack_PC_s.jpg

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
I want to want to say it was this:
220px-Summon_Night_-_Swordcraft_Story_Coverart.png

Man, I absolutely loved Summon Night Swordcraft Story. Every time I hear news of a new Summon Night game I get really excited and then remember Swordcraft Story is just a spinoff, and the main titles are strategy games... Hurts real bad to know we never got the 3rd game translated.

Nichest game I've ever played is probably Tail of the Sun.

Run around as a cave man trying to kill mammoths to take their tusks and build a tower to the sun. Weird as hell.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
[IQUOTE="SalvaPot, post: 34817391, member: 404"]
I'm sure this is a reference to the "Animal Crossingi is niche" meme.

On Topic, Codename S.T.E.A.M. sold so badly I'll say its niche as hell.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah that's a solid choice

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Uuno_Turhapuro_muuttaa_maalle_C64.jpg

It was considered a commercial success though, but only 2000 copies were sold. It's the first licensed game from Finland and it's based on a popular comedy movie franchise. I think it's difficulty inspired Miyazaki with the Souls series.

Oh, I played this. Under a different name I can't remember right now, but I'm pretty sure it was a woman's name.
Could never get past stage one, but nice high res sprite.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I had an Amiga lol, so I'd wager a good majority of this site wouldn't have heard of a huge amount of games from that, even the more popular ones, so I'll go with two others that come to mind, which are :
Jet Ion GP on PS2 (guess what company developed this)
Jet-Ion-GP-Screen-4.jpg

And Running Battle for the Master System.

I have to give a shoutout to Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis the Action Game in terms of Amiga stuff though, because I don't think I've ever saw someone mention that on a forum.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I've done my best to try to find and play the most obscure of RPG games, and I think one of the most obscure I've ever played has been Amulets and Armor.

It sold literally no copies on release more then a few decades ago, and the only thing that rose awareness of this game was a co-operative let's play of it back in 2012.

If you wanted to play the child of Doom and Daggerfall, along with a buddy or two, it's pretty decent! It's a dos game though, so I'd make sure you have DOSbox ready for it.

Look up a website for some info on it's systems and if you want class advice, Necromancer and Paladin are some of the better classes to play, because they are the least restrictive.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
T.R.A.G (PS1)

Sidebar because it really bothers me... the title should read "Whats the most niche game you have ever played" "nichest" is not a word.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Starlight Vega.

Niche even with in the VN sphere but my goddess it's so damn good and has some of the best writing ever and my favorite wlw romance in gaming.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
It has got to be some old pc game.

Possibly Blade Warrior?

20 years ago you could get some PC games from ice cream delivery service cars in Finland. One of the games was even ice cream themed!

Both of them had great soundtracks. I havem't heard of these games being distributed in any other form than buying them from the finnish ice cream delivery cars.

I remember playing Dropmania back in the day. The team that developed both of these would go on to make Finnish gaming history by developing the first Finnish console game, Rampage Puzzle Attack for the GBA.

Kotijäätelö also sold some LCD games. I remember buying a Tamagochi sized Frogger clone from them. Unfortunately that game is so obscure I can't find any evidence from Google of it even existing.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
Played lots of MUDs from 99 to 2006, though mainly Materia Magica.

Definitely been in loads of very small freeware online indie game communities of literally (not figuratively) 5 or 6 people all chatting about the same dumb shit for years, back in early 2000s.

My most recent niche game foray has been Dominions 5, which has quite a large community on Discord, but like sold 15k on Steam. Average playtime must be ~100 hours across all players though, game is deep as all hell, there's def a few people in that community that have produced 100s of hours of content to discuss strategies and just explain what the hell is going on.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Demons Souls around the time it was a US import here in EU was very niche in 2009. Safe to say i got stuck early and dropped it when reaching tower knight. It was like 6 years after with bloodborne i got into the series again.

I immediately thought of Demons Souls because it felt like very few people played it until FromSoft kind of exploded after Dark Souls.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
We talking games that are niche because of the genre they belong to, or niche because the game itself is conceptually a bit out there?

Probably Nosgoth, an asymmetrical class-based multiplayer Legacy of Kain spinoff. I had 16 hours in it. It was asymmetrical just before Dead By Daylight got huge, and had niche appeal by alienating the very fanbase it should've appealed to.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
No one played real time tactics anymore after 2014.

store.steampowered.com

Darwinia on Steam

Combining fast-paced action with strategic battle planning, Darwinia features a novel and intuitive control mechanism, a graphical style ripped from 80's retro classics like Tron and Defender, and a story concerning a tribe of nomadic sprites trapped in a modern 3D world.

0000000228.1920x1080.jpg

JPLC

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
"EOE: Eve of Extinction" for PS2 from 2002 (developer Yuke's, publisher Eidos Interactive).

Young me loved it and thought that the overall aesthetic was so cool (especially the various weapons), but looking back, the game is definitely rough. Still, though, it has some of that old PS2 Japanese charm. It likely had some level of influence toward my love of character action games like Devil May Cry (3 and onward), Bayonetta, and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.