• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
I want to want to say it was this:
220px-Summon_Night_-_Swordcraft_Story_Coverart.png

El Shaddai : Ascension of the Metatron

Pretty sweet game btw.

elshad-03.jpg
Hell yeah, one time I accidentally bought 3 copies of this game and somehow managed to pawn it off to two friends.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I'll ever top this. I got it cheap as chips from the PSN store during the PS3 era.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Probably an import game....maybe Daigassou! Band Brothers P? A music tool/rhythm game that was only ever released in Japan on a region-locked platform, years before hacks came out for it.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Probably Dawn of the Ages, which was a MUD. Steady playerbase of 50-100 people for years.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Certainly something from the Apple II era like Microwave, Pick-a-Dilly Pair, Wrath of Denethenor, etc.

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
From recent memory: Bury me my love. It's a phone-based visual novel (aka by whatsapp chat) following a Syrian refugee trying to get into Europe through the eyes of her husband who stays in Syria. The game deserves more love.

A bit longer ago, I booted a free-to-play Japanese eShop only train game. I have no idea how it was called, but I remember loading screens were 99% of the gameplay (which is why I gave up on it).

As a child, I played games like Same Game (find blocks of equal colors, the bigger the batch, the higher the score) and some kind of Sinterklaas collectathon platformer (find presents and sweets and drop them into chimneys).

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Probably Michigan, or Gregory's Horror Show. or Martian Gothic?

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Does Katamari Damacy count? At the least I remember my brother deciding to rent one of the only copies from Blockbuster and no on heard about it until a follow up was announced but I still feel the series counts.

Also, I don't think I've met anyone else who played this:
41W9HBAF6HL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Not the nichest thing ever considering it had quite the little tumblr explosion back in the day but....

giphy.gif

OFF

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Probably some DOS games, atleast relative to anything by today's audiences. Otherwise I think most of the Indie games I've played or gotten into have had some meaningful measure of acclaim.

Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness?
Commander Keen 4: Goodbye Galaxy?
Jazz Jackrabbit?
Police Quest 1?
Ultima VIII?
Round 42?

I know... this awful fucking Spider-Man game where getting hurt reveals his skeleton underneath. Also R2-D2 is in it??

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dwarf Fortress even though it's probably more popular than some games listed here.

I also used to play some of Acclaims old online MMOs. BOTS!, 9Dragons, and their DDR game specifically but I have no idea if they were popular or not.

ncase.itch.io

Adventures With Anxiety! by Nicky Case!

An interactive story about anxiety. You play *as* the anxiety
Takes about 30 minutes to read through. Would gladly recommend it to anyone even remotely interested in the concept.
Will check it out, thanks

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Arcane Kids stuff? Zineth or better yet the criminally unfinished Perfect Stride

Actually no. Nightmare Ned. That's the most niche game I've played. I've literally never heard anyone else mention this shit in all my years of gaming. If y'all played this please quote me I'm genuinely curious.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Gnome garden series on PS4. I can't be the only one who played them since they made like 4 (and then some offshoots)...but very different from what I would normally play but very relaxing to me.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I played a PS4 game called AIPD. I could tell by the Trophy completion percentages that almost no one had played it. That was years ago and even now PSNProfiles only has it at 180 people that have ever played it and only 5 people (1 being myself) that have got all 12 Trophies.

Nw3vdQV.png

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Mr. Mosquito, A PS2 game where you play as a mosquito in a Japanese house and you have to suck up enough blood to survive.

Gekitotsu Toma L'Arc: TomaRunner vs L'Arc-En-CIel, a running game on the PS1.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
First thing that comes to mind is probably an old school MMORPG called Neocron.

Such a good game though and ahead of its time, IMO.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I played the heck out of this old freeware side-scrolling online shooter called Soldat back in the day.

My casual Googling has revealed that it has actually just recently finally released on Steam, AND there's a sequel in development. Well... I know what I'm doing tonight.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Arcania: Gothic 4
Apparently this came out in 2010, I got a collection with Humble Bundle on PS4 and I played a few years ago. I wouldn't say its a bad game, but its not good either.
I skipped most of the story and the gameplay is mediocre, so i got NO IDEA why I actually beat the game and still remember it to this day XD

rasu

Dec 22, 2017
A friend and I played (close to) the entirety of The Darkest Night DOS one night. We made a custom map on grid paper and everything. Had to do it by trial and error as the game is ridiculous and unforgiving (and not very good, haha!) Unfortunately I think the game is bugged as we couldn't finish it despite doing everything possible. Apparently there is a sequel, but I haven't been able to track it down!
Darkest_Night_The_-_Part_I_1996_screenshot.gif

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably some Tokyo subway sim arcade in japan. There was even a jacked and hat you could put on for that extra weirdness (I obviously put on both the jacket and hat, didn't affect my score in the game though).

gamstat

Mar 17, 2019
Well, I've been playing tons of niche games - try to beat a text-based Star Trek (1971 game), so I'll mention just three which were able to stand the test of time.

- Jelly no Puzzle (free PC-Android game), one of the best puzzle game ever created,
- Outer Wilds alpha (free PC game). I loved it in 2013, it was my personal GOTY. Not so niche anymore since 2019.
- Shariki (free DOS game). It's the first match-3 game, known for its clones - Bejeweled, Candy Crush Saga etc. Again, not so niche nowadays.

j1.jpg

j4.jpg

j2.jpg

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
Gadget, an obscure 1994 DOS game designed by Haruhiko Shono.

Hey, I remember this game! I played it in computer lab a ton.

As for my entry, I recently picked up:

umihara-kawase-fresh-switch-hero.jpg

Seems like almost nobody is playing it, time attack leaderboards don't even have 100 entries.

I love the Umihara Kawase series and this is an excellent entry. A little more approachable than other entries but still highly technical platforming and hard as hell later on.