• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
Quake II looks amazing with it's full RT version as does Minecraft. I'd love to see more games updated with full RT. My first thought was that games made on the Quake II engine would be the easiest to update. Heretic II, Sin, Soilder of Fortune, King Pin. Of course ownership of some of these IP might be disputed and they are hardly high profile titles.

What games would you like to see get the same treatment?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I can't imagine anything much more complex than Quake 2/3 would perform well if they were fully ray traced and not just doing effects. It's worth nothing that ray traced Quake 2 has been around for much longer than RTX itself. I'd say any old 3D game that's been open sourced would be a pretty good candidate, like Descent.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Would love for Halo to get this. I wanna see those real time reflections in the Master Chief's visor finally.

maxresdefault.jpg

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
Any (or all) of the Metroid Primes.

I feel that the environment architecture combined with the varied light sources (sky, point lights, etc) and interesting materials would benefit massively from ray tracing.

Not that it will ever happen, but yeah...my vote goes to the Primes.

Last edited:

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Original Halo CE and original Halo 2 would benefit a lot, especially Halo 2 since the original lighting system got gutted iirc

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really disappointed we've not had more "RTX remasters". Quake 2 was so cool with raytracing and it's free (I mean, if you can find your disc) and I was expecting to see more old games with RTX by now, or at least announced. It makes such a huge difference, like in Minecraft (not an old game, but a very simple looking game) where it looks so damn good.

I was always hoping for Half-Life RTX, more complex than Quake 2 but still something I could see being reasonable.

My out there, "never going to happen ever but I'd fucking die for it" wish would be Dark Forces 2 (and Mysteries of the Sith). Gimmie that Lightsaber ray tracing.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I would be surprised if we don't see a Doom sourceport that does it at some point. Original Doom, of course.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Any (or all) of the Metroid Primes.

I feel that the environment architecture combined with the varied light sources (sky, point lights, etc) and interesting materials would benefit massively from ray tracing.

Not that it will ever happen, but yeah...my vote goes to the Primes.
It could happen in the PC version! Now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if Mario 64 ends up being next too.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Doom 3 is the one that makes the most sense, also the src is public so someone capable/willing can do it without permission.