• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Around $90 on RingFit Adventure but it comes with a Pilates ring.
Other than that ... I bought a Vita just for P4G.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Technically probably kingpin because I bought a voodoo card to play the damn thing...totally worth it!

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Was steel battalion 200 quid at launch? Why?

vdLyRKQ.jpg

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
My most expensive game is also probably Steel Battalion. Crazy that came out almost 20 years ago. My parents had a projector so I played it on a ten foot screen. Good times.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
$230 for Dragon Force on Saturn. Before that it was Zombie Nation for $160 on NES. I'm eyeing on buying Suikoden 2 soon though, and that game hits for $300+.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
The most expensive game I bought for retail price was Steel Battalion on the Xbox. For second hand purchases, I spent $400-ish for a sealed copy of Suikoden II. I sold it back at the same price, along with most of my collection, a few months later. This was late 2008, when retro games were worth comparatively nothing. If I sold that collection today it would be a downpayment on a house.

childoac

Dec 16, 2020
Retail $99 + tx for the Limited Run Games Celeste on Switch. But most ever would be ~$120 for Super Mario 2: 6 Golden Coins.

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
It's iRacing, but not sure how much money, probably like $700 - 800

EDIT: Read OP, so just the game is Demon's Souls

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Off the top of my head, I can't recall my most expensive single game purchase. it is probably a special edition I bought off the NISA store, which between shipping and converting from USD to CAN might put the most expensive purchase in the $120 To $130 dollar range.

ColeAce33

Jan 21, 2021
I bought GTA5 at launch on PS3, then Launch PS4, then digital PS4 (traded in physical copy), and bought a copy for my friend when it was on sale for 19.99. So around 175.00. I'd buy it again on switch. Actually I've purchased about 40.00 in shark cards as well.....so over 200.00. Well worth it

Glabados

Sep 22, 2018
Somewhat cheeky answer: I bought an LG B9 and a PS4 Pro for Death Stranding. Obviously I got more value out of all of that, but yeah, I took the plunge on 4K specifically because of that game.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
MKR-910x1024.jpg

$150 for a factory sealed Magic Knight Rayearth for Sega Saturn. Got it from a convention several years ago, and it's going for quite a bit of money on eBay these days. I also think it may be the Umi/blue disc based on what I can see through the gap by the spine.

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
I had long since sold my PS2, but I just wanted to play the next Final Fantasy game so badly, that I bought a PS2 Slim just to play Final Fantasy XII (which I'd go on to buy like 3 more times). I don't think I used that PS2 for anything else, and sold it shortly after wrapping up FFXII.

I also put more than $300 into Gloomhaven, the board game, as it was expensive itself plus I bought sleeves, organizer units, little custom dice, and other tools to smooth out the experience. We played that as a group for almost 18 months and ultimately wrapped it up, so it was money well spent, I think.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
$250 for TLOU2 with the statue.

The equivalence of $100 like 15 years ago for Valkyrie Profile in PS1 (at the time , the more I have ever paid for a single video game and maybe still is after inflation )

Faith

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Single game purchase without DLC and stuff was, like others here, probably Steel Battalion on the OG Xbox, cost like £130 here. Ended up basically getting my money back for it a little down the line.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Runescape subscriptions back in the day. Probably spent $200-$300 on $5/mo subscriptions back then.

Aside from that, probably Fire Emblem Awakening since I bought the game at MSRP and about $45 in DLC. Ultimately regretted it and haven't bought any for all the FE games since.

Excluding DLC, FE Fates since I got the limited edition. Normally I skip those but since that had all three versions of the game on one cartridge I wanted it. Only one ended up being any good though.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I believe 100 CDN on ZOE2 when it released. It was hard to find when it released and the scammy shop I bought it from knew it. iirc the owner actually went to jail for fraud.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For a normal game, then Final Fantasy XII on PS2. I live in Europe, and I ordered the US limited edition steelbook, it cost me around 70€ and when it was delivered I had to pay a surprise import tax, around 30€...

Otherwise it's Overwatch because of these fucking lootboxes, hundreds and hundreds of euros down the drain, I hate myself (and lootboxes) for this...

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Probably my FF14 subscription. I've been playing for years, so that translates to hundreds of dollars.

Oct 27, 2017
I've never spent more than $59.99, the price of a typical AAA game on PS4. A physical copy of Uncharted 4, to be exact. Well worth the money IMO. I replayed it a few times and I intend on playing again when I get a PS5. I usually wait for games to be around $29.99 (50% discount, about 6 months after release) before I buy them. It's not just about cost, but it gives the developers time to patch things up, clear any bugs, release DLC and deluxe editions, etc. I get to experience game how it was intended to be by waiting, basically. That being said, I would totally snag an expensive collector edition of Bloodborne or any Dark Souls games with maps or boss figures or posters. That would really cool.

2-jpg.121931

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Not counting instances of buying multiple copies, I spent $180 to get Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 two and a half weeks early. Probably a tie between that, Rock Band 2, 4, Guitar Hero: World Tour and various collector's editions.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Well if we consider unreleased titles, I spent almost $650 (67100 Yen to be exact) on Eiyuden Chronicle's Kickstarter campaign. Believe me when I say I'm a huge Suikoden II fan, and anything that reminds of that, spiritual successor or no, from the same series creator and other veteran Suikoden staff, will have my undivided attention.

Ironically enough, which is something more recent and tangible. I've spent almost $300 to replace lost copy of Suikoden II.

The "Take your Heart" Premium edition of Persona 5 might also be something of note.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Couple of thousand on a mint in box Egg Game and Watch handheld. But it is like, one of the three rarest in the entire series. Still gotta track down boxed DK Circus and Panorama Mickey Mouse though. I assume those will cost a ton as well when they eventually turn up.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
North of $100 each for SMT Nocturne and the two Digital Devil Sagas. I think the most expensive one was $130 but I can't remember which one that was. This was in 2008, and they got reissued for $20 apiece in I think 2009? Soon enough after I bought them to make me feel especially stupid.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
20+ copies of XBC 2 to give some friends copies and the NA and EU Collectors edition for myself

does this count?

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I bought Garou: Mark of the Wolves on Neo Geo AES. I think it cost me £250.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
WgWSZoRl4SUDPoeeWSINsNOCLzDGo5WgHN8VY6z2SCYqt9ayAzgYjgYVnwOJKMfMbesTCYYyqV8UuuOMDTQHtMt24egA5sJLUQ

Whatever the release price was for this, I think $325?

God owning an NGH/AES was the dumbest fucking idea.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
About 180$ for Fallout 3 across 4 different copies. I bought the GOTY for my 360, and then traded it away. Then I deleted one of the DLCs by mistake, so I had to rebuy it. This was when it was still about $60. Time passes and my cat knocks my 360 over while the disc is in it. After that, I lost it and had to buy a new copy.

All over the entire last decade.