• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Netsuite by Oracle. Horrible, unintuitive piece of crap. Even HR can't properly explain how we do basic tasks as line managers.

Second place - Teams and sharepoint - both tied as they're kind of connected. Hate how files just end up being referenced and stored, hate how the chat and channels are separated and not easy to track together, just find it horrible in comparison to slack, but we're forced to migrate to it due to a company merger.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
SAP for me, no question. From a point of view it's really interesting but my god, it's a mess.

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
I was waiting for this. Once you figure out how to do what you want it works pretty damn consistently, but good luck figuring much of anything out without someone walking you through it. And as far as I can tell it's search function is essentially worthless. If I want to find vendor codes I have more luck using the city they are headquartered in as the search criteria than the actual name of the company itself.

Also I interact with like 10 different industrial HMIs at work that are all sub-Sim City in quality and clarity of information. There have been a bunch of efforts to improve them, and some legitimate success, but of course the loudest voices in the room hate any kind of change so the general perception is that the engineers/software guys are wasting their time
And it's on purpose. It's like this so you pay for their trainings and/or you hire some experts (either theirs or some external contractors who paid for their certifictions) to change some module configurations and add some ABAP functions. Everything is made so you pay moer to SAP.
SAP Hana is a bit better but they have a clear business model based on their client dependency to them to really understand their product.

SAP is really conter-intuitive and their UI design is stuck in the past.

As a simple dev taking ticket, I don't really have complaint about Jira. But yeah our manager is not happy everytime she has to configurate something in it.

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft Teams. I hate it.
THIS

They "upgraded"us from Skype for Business a few months ago, and it actually took away features we had on Skype for years.

- You can't screen share without joining a meeting call. At my job we often screen share and chat on IM if someone has a question. This is made by the fact that if you're in a meeting, and someone needs to screen share to you, it makes you leave the meeting to do it. Miss me with the "well you should be paying attention to the meeting anyway', there are often stretches of meetings are either not relevant to me or the person sharing me their screen needs something for the current meeting. You could do all this just fine on Skype.

- the one time we did a video call for a happy hour, we found out it can only display four people's video at once.

- The "team" functionality sucks and is a poor man's Slack channel. One guy in the team really wants everyone to use threads, yet when there's a notification of a new message, clicking it doesn't have your cursor making a reply, but starting a new thread. I don't want to have to do the extra click, and clicking the notification should by default have you reply to the message. I told that guy I wasn't going to heed the thread police until Teams got it's shit together.

- They haven't updated everyone to Teams yet, so some groups are still on Skype. Good luck screen sharing or file transferring with them.

- if you double clicked the Skype tray icon, it would put your cursor in the search for contacts box. Teams doesn't do that at all. It's like teams wants you to not use your keyboard.

I know all these complaints sound petty but I do not care, they annoy the piss out of me. It's aggravating that this was toured as an "upgrade" when it takes away features.

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
I have to maintain internal software that my company uses that's almost as old as I am. It's definitely that. There's stuff in it that dates back 20 years and I can't for the life of me figure out how it would ever be useful.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
iTunes and/or XCode (submitting an iOS project from scratch to App store if it's been a few months ... a great pain compared to Android/Google Play).

Microsoft Teams lacks some basic features and it fails to let me switch between organizations 30% of the time (requiring a software restart). Slack is notably more versatile and streamlined.

Accounting/ERP systems in general.

Last edited:

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
I use Spotify on iPhone when I want to share stuff/playlists with more people, but the app is pretty terrible.
Dunno if these essential features are locked behind Premium, but : can't modify the order of the songs in the playlist, can't modify the cover, can't modify the description. Browsing is also clunky : unless I'm missing something, you can't just look up an album and put songs directly from the album page in a playlist? Always have to look up the individual song to get the "Add to playlist" button.

I don't know how the average Spotify user uses the app, but I feel like it's not intuitive at all the second you want to do more than just listening to automated playlists.

Apple Music is just way simpler (with more options), and their front page with new releases etc... is not as messy as Spotify's.
I do have premium so, maybe these are locked behind the paywall but, I can re-order music in a playlist and add songs to a playlist via the album page. There is no way I can see to change the art on a playlist though. In general, I don't really have many complaints about the app on Iphone, though this might be because I pay for premium.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I do have premium so, maybe these are locked behind the paywall but, I can re-order music in a playlist and add songs to a playlist via the album page. There is no way I can see to change the art on a playlist though. In general, I don't really have many complaints about the app on Iphone, though this might be because I pay for premium.
Gotcha. I'll withdraw my complaints then.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Zbrush - after many years of using it, it still feels so fucking alien

Git - engineers love this shit, I don't get it

Jira - 'nuff said

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe I just have good maintainers, but Jira and Confluence, while shitty, are nothing compared to the trash that is RetroArch. I don't understand how an emulator can be so convoluted.

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People who are saying Jira have never tried TFS for task management. It's like someone tried doing a Jira clone based on descriptions of Jira

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
We got any musicians on here?

MakeMusic Finale.

Doesn't matter which version, they're all the same. Everything about it is outdated. The audio output sucks. The rendering engine sucks. The interface REALLY sucks. It's 25 years of legacy baggage stapled together. Why is inserting measures at the end of the piece in a completely different menu than inserting measures in the middle?

But it's also powerful software and is the industry standard, so they have no reason to fix it. Sigh.

THANK YOU.

It's been about 20 years that I'm battling this but here almost every conservatory and professor uses it.
You are actually generous with the 25 years remark.

Look at this interface. We are talking 1988:
MT_88_12_coda_music_f_large.jpg

Now look at Finale 26, the latest version:

FN_Product-Pg_blurb.jpg

Most buttons on the left side are almost the same functions tahn more than 30 years ago. And seeing those checkboxes on the 1988 screenshot and how they are used the same now it's very scary. The convoluted mess to just find the right option for anything is a nightmare.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I'm probably in a niche here, wouldn't be surprised if nobody else here uses it, but VMWare vRealize Orchestrator.
It uses an ancient version of Javascript so a bunch of methods aren't available and our implementation now has so much in it that even with careful folder structuring finding anything is a pain because the search function doesn't support partial matches.

In the latest versions the ability to do versioning and revert to earlier versions has been completely removed from the Java client and made available only in the newer web client. Problem is that the web clclit doesn't support the synchronisation of work from your DEV environment to your Live environment like the Java client does. But if you modify anything in the web client it gets marked as incompatible with the Java client so you can no longer do anything with it there.

Last edited:

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Lots of good choices here, but I seriously don't understand how people can choose Jira. It has issues, but there are so many worse things out there in the IT world.

I'll post some pieces of software I genuinely dislike (the top ones are by far the worst, and they progressively become less bad further down):
  • Oracle e-Business Suite (the worst shit I've ever experienced in my professional life; those Java-based Forms that never work properly will haunt me throughout life)
  • BMC Remedy (thank the lord this one is pretty much obsolete everywhere)
  • Adobe AEM (as mentioned earlier, the pre-Touch version, 6.2 I believe?, was horrible. The Touch version ain't much better)
  • ServiceNow (absolutely terrible, slow, lacks any type of formatting, and tends to break as soon as you slightly customize the workflow)
  • HP ALM/Quality Center (dreadful support for modern PCs, laggy interface, terrible report systems etc.)
  • GIMP (by far the worst UI in a Photoshop alternative ever, never stops being terrible)
  • SAP Hybris and its various views (dreadful, a bitch to find anything)
  • SAP systems/modules such as Customer Order Management
  • MS SharePoint (don't need to say much)
  • MS TFS (I don't mind TFS too much, but hierarchically it can be a pain to manage stuff and create good relations)

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
It's slowly getting better, but using Canvas to mark assignments and tests really annoys me. It's got some bugs that have been there for years, like comments that you can't edit until you reload the page, missing usability features (e.g. why doesn't it automatically rescale pdfs to fill the screen? if someone uploads a massive picture I have to zoom out each time, and if they upload a small one I have to zoom in; why can't you access peer reviews from the marking tool? etc.). For marking a single submission it's not too bad, but when you have to mark 200+ it really does add up.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Zbrush. It is contrary to almost all other 3D software packages in that it has a completely unintuitive ui and camera control system. It wasn't originally a 3D package but it explains why it's so strange. The fact they still haven't fixed it is kind boggiling.
I vote Zbrush too. Shit has an interface built by aliens and only its sheer power and capability forgives it from being shat on by everyone.

When I started in 3D work I always knew I was gonna be doing Hardsurface stuff but was always curious about more organic modelling and sculpting.

Enter Zbrush......I noped the fuck outta there ASAP.
I give mad respect to anyone who is super comfortable with Zbrush because that takes some abstract thinking....near nothing works the way you would think it should.

How is there no real alternaive to Zbrush yet?

Wasnt Autodesk giving Mudbox a real push or is that another abandoned project?

Doom

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Pretty much all of the newer VMware clients suck. The HTML 5 vSphere is worse than the deprecated Flex, which was far worse than the old thick client. I do most of my work through PowerCLI now. Just have a bunch of saved statements and scripts I reuse. Much faster than trying to use the HTML 5 client for large amounts of operations.

The Horizon / RDS / VDI clients suck and lack the most basic functionalities - and they're dogshit slow. They also don't support a whole lot via PowerCLI / VMware snap-ins.
I've heard this same story about pretty much every VMWare acquired product unfortunately. On my side I'm seeing a mass exodus away from WorkSpace One. And what's sad is that it's mostly for other MDM/UEM solutions that are getting people on board by advertising features that WS1 can do, but the users have no idea because the training/marketing done by VMWare is nonexistent. Which doesn't help when the features are almost impossible to find without guidance.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I work in biotech. Some of the software is crazy. I can't even pick the worst.
Anything made by a scientist is usually going to be terrible beyond imagination.

For example: If we consider software inteferances, and not just GUIs; I once had a program that installed itself to the bash shell under the name...wait for it...

"x"

For example: "$ x 'filename' --options"
would be your syntax to run the software.

Like, who in their right mind uses "x" as a program keyword?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
There is a certain IBM tool where the Open option doesn't allow you to open the files you export with the same tool. You have to create a separate working environment, and then use Import every time you want to open it. The save option when you close the tool, doesn't have the option to 'not save'. You have to select or deselect which files you want to save, after which you can then click save to exit. Of course, if you deselected everything, it doesn't save anything, but you still have to press save. At least I found the option to turn of the pop-up that asks me if I'm sure I want to close the tool when I click close.

The software in my Ford Focus that I have to use to play music through Bluetooth makes me want to drive the car into a tree.

Weird. I wonder if that is a European vs American Ford thing, because aside from old fliphones, it always worked great for me through 5 or 6 different Ford vehicles.

Every second spent in confluence makes me wish I was in Slack instead.

Aren't those tools with completely different purposes? One is a Wikipedia system, the other a chat system.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Windows 10. It's been years since it released and still half the settings are in the old control panel and half in the modern settings app. It makes no sense and there's no excuse after so many years have passed.

I imagine myself trying a PC for the first time and finding that design incredibly confusing.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Anything made by a scientist is usually going to be terrible beyond imagination.

For example: If we consider software inteferances, and not just GUIs; I once had a program that installed itself to the bash shell under the name...wait for it...

"x"

For example: "$ x 'filename' --options"
would be your syntax to run the software.

Like, who in their right mind uses "x" as a program keyword?

I had software recently that wouldn't let itself be installed on a computer that didn't have a 2ghz CPU. So a 15 year old Pentium or whatever would be fine but not our brand new i5 laptops.

Contacted them for support and they said that is the way it is and we are not changing it.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
I don't have to use it anymore, thank God, but when I was at a TV station in Columbus I had to use Avid to edit video. It was the most unintuitive piece of junk I had ever used. A truly awful UI missing features seen in other NLEs for decades.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Not right now but when I get back to work, the tills we use in a betting shop. They're running windows 98 possibly, and it's custom software to deal with translating and settling customers bets which are photographically scanned when we take the bet. Then we need to input the data the customer has written. THERE ISN'T AN UNDO BUTTON. You can edit some entries but it's not the same as a simple undo button for a cock up you just made. Yeah there is no undo button for anything and there are some bet types that when entering if you make a mistake you cannot change anything. The whole thing looks depressing as fuck as well and I've thought for years how it could be redesigned to be far better for us and could help us help the customers and be better at our jobs. But that would cost money now wouldn't it.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
ToonBoom Harmony is an extremely difficult program to wrap your head around initially if you're used to more traditional animation.

Mar 3, 2019
When I started in 3D work I always knew I was gonna be doing Hardsurface stuff but was always curious about more organic modelling and sculpting.

Enter Zbrush......I noped the fuck outta there ASAP.
I give mad respect to anyone who is super comfortable with Zbrush because that takes some abstract thinking....near nothing works the way you would think it should.

How is there no real alternaive to Zbrush yet?

Wasnt Autodesk giving Mudbox a real push or is that another abandoned project?

I've bounced off it a couple times like most people until I finally was able to dig in and grit my teeth to learn it.

Mudbox unfortunately suffers from the autodesk nonsense where they do the bare minimum to support it, and it sucks at handling high polygons.

Fun fact, Zbrush was originally a 2.5D software that was designed by a sculpter which is why it's interface is so strange. If it wasn't for the fact that it's so damn good with a stupid number of polygons, people would drop it like yesterday's garbage.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I use Jira everyday. It's nowhere near the worst. Try the Oracle E-Business Suite apps. Now those are bad.

Also BMC Remedy. I could never make sense of it.

That said, I'm going to look into the Jira alternatives.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Adobe Premiere.

Literally becomes worse with every update.

WEGGLES

Oct 30, 2017
The entire Atlassian suite of products just seems hell bent on being the most frustrating shit to use. I can't find anything, every view screen is frustrating, clicking anything slowly loads into edit mode. Their markdown implementation is shit. They INSIST on opening things in stupid modal Windows instead of a new tab. I hate jira.

Also Bitbucket is a massive heap of ass too. PRs are a single page for some reason, that constantly ask you to refresh but because it's a huge single page you've probably got some anchor in the url and then you refresh and God knows where you'll end up relative to where you were.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I'm using Jira to track stuff for my PhD and used it a little bit at work before and find it all right. There are some things that could be better (like, why can't you batch set some fields on your tickets?), but overall it works well enough.

I have to use confluence for documentation at work and it can be annoying af though, and going anywhere takes too many clicks.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Not that I use the guis that much but anything to do with Cisco which has a graphical interface. (except perhaps meraki I'll give that a partial pass)
My favourite is the jankfest which is ASDM on ASAs

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Every second spent in confluence makes me wish I was in Slack instead.

Honestly, email/skype only is probably better. My current employer doesn't use any other sort of chat solution.
My answer here is actually Slack--it's main target seems to be large, complex orgs, but I feel like it falls over in exactly that instance. Ensuring people use it in a consistent way, managing notification, switching between workspaces, etc. is kind of a huge mess. It just degrades into DM (and worse, group DM) hell for almost everyone.

Some of the people here make me question if the problem is the user and not the tools, like one of you is comparing Confluence, a wiki-tool, to a chat platform and the other is saying Slack should be more than just a chat platform?

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
iTunes. The original reason I switched from iPhone to Android like 10 years ago.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why Salesforce is the way it is

Jira, I've only used from the perspective of someone on a project (as in, not setting it up), but it seems pretty intuitive once you set up your filters and realize you don't have to use/interact with 90% of the things on screen

I really like both of these. šŸ„ŗ

Sharepoint I hated for a long time, but once I figured out how to tame it, my opinion changed completely. Of course I then switched jobs to a place that uses Confluence exclusively, which has nothing on Sharepoint.

As for JIRA, I contend it's only user unfriendly because it's SO flexible and customizable. No one ever walks into a "fresh" JIRA instance--you're always thrown into the deep end with some configuration that's got years of tweaking in it, with no access to the tribal knowledge of how it got that way.

My answer here is actually Slack--it's main target seems to be large, complex orgs, but I feel like it falls over in exactly that instance. Ensuring people use it in a consistent way, managing notification, switching between workspaces, etc. is kind of a huge mess. It just degrades into DM (and worse, group DM) hell for almost everyone.
This sounds like your company just set it up badly. Also if you're in a smaller company why would you need more than one workspace?? That's what channels are for