• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
Years and years have passed, and the largest complaint from most people about RetroArch is their interface, and I agree.

I don't know why they don't dedicate at least 1% of their time to improve their piece of crappy unintuitive mess of UI they have. I really want to love the software, but I can't. I just can't.

How about you, Era?

Last edited:

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The software in my Ford Focus that I have to use to play music through Bluetooth makes me want to drive the car into a tree.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My company's HR forces us to use some buggy ancient software called Ascentis to manage our employee profile, training goals, performance evaluations, etc.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
The fan control app for my ASRock motherboard is particularly janky. I finally stopped using it and just configured my fans in the BIOS.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
The best part of streaming services taking over music has been never having to use this piece of shit again

I use Apple Music.

YsFaEJz.png

I was planning to move over to the web player but I like to use the (admittedly very shitty) remote home sharing app.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Before I sat through the LinkedIn Learning videos and started using it daily, it was Microsoft Teams via Microsoft 365. It felt like a clumsy collaborative suite at first, but once one gets the hang of it it's actually pretty effective and useful.

Currently it's Jenkins for automation. It gets the job done very well, the reason for it's popularity (along with being free and easily customizable) but very much feels like an automation tool that is a few years behind the paid offerings.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Very specific industry database software at work. It's slow, crashes frequently, is filled with inconsistencies in the interface, and things just seem to disappear for no reason.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
The software in my Ford Focus that I have to use to play music through Bluetooth makes me want to drive the car into a tree.
Same! It does not like my Bluetooth for some reason and i have to disconnect and reconnect everything again every now and then.

Also EGS is buggy as fuck for me lately, but i'm using GOG for now to launch their games.

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Regularly as in a couple times a year when needed, but AWS by far.

It has to be the worst user interface in the history of mankind. A bunch of dead ends, things that are connected and need to be configured at the same time in completely different and differently named sections, inconsistent UI patterns, to get anything done (unless you're a devops genius) is to copy a bunch of random strings to keep track of what configuration you've setup plugs into what...

Its so aggressively bad I'm convinced its built this way to sucker people into not optimising their server in a way that puts you over your limits, thus costing you more money then is necessary.

Zeplin is another one, but thankfully where I work we're moving over to more friendly and stable platforms for design handovers / collab.

Edit: For the JIRA haters, at work we use Clickup and it's excellent.

Edit2: If you had of asked me 4 year ago, I would have said Drupal with a bullet. Unsure if they've improved it, but old version broke all the rules of good UI and user flow.

Last edited:

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Just about every time I try rebinding my controls in RetroArch, it just ends up breaking them entirely. It's unbelievable. Also have frequent issues with the GUI inexplicably uncapping the refresh rate and making it so fast that navigating using command inputs becomes impossible.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I still sometimes use a lot of early virtual instrument software from the mid 2000's because there just aren't any decent alternatives. Also a lot of legacy software is morphed into modern applications, just awkwardly ported to 64-bit.

They can implode in spectacular ways. Sometimes they'll break on project load, sometimes they'll freak out and overload the sound engine, sometimes they start to ignore any MIDI messages and do whatever they want, sometimes they forget their default settings...

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I use like 4 different industry specific software applications and they are all janky as hell.

Oct 27, 2017
First job out of college had a poorly implemented ERP system, JobBoss, that was an absolute pain in the ass, it was implemented extremely poorly in 2009 and was never fixed or updated and they have a high turnover rate so it just stayed in a perpetual state of shittiness.
Second job had a bastardized ERP, J.D. Edwards, from the 90s, green UI and no mouse cursor; surprising worked better than the first job but it was still so unintuitive that even J.D. Edwards themselves had no idea how or why it was still in use or how to fix it without starting from scratch. They're searching for a replacement, but good luck replacing a 20 year old system that still houses valid information on parts and products from 1995.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
SigmaPlot.

a statistical package that is not my favorite. I prefer doing stats in Statistica and graphs with GraphPad Prism. But some stuff is really good with SigmaPlot, it is just bad at user interface.

Oct 28, 2017
Sharepoint.

Is just hot garbage. Certain things can only be done using IE for some reason, and it has a horrible performance.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna say Windows iTunes but I can't say I use it more than a coupl of times a year at most. If I find I need to use iTunes for a task I'm more likely to just drop it.

It's astounding how they managed to make finding anything so difficult.

Last edited:

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing is worse than Jira

If your answer is anything but Jira, you don't use Jira.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I don't use iTunes myself, but having to install it here and there to help a family member with something was more than enough to put me off ever buying an iPhone.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
SDL Trados Studio. Man, that thing has so many options and it's confusing without a full training course.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
Deltek for timesheets and expense reports. Website horrible. Phone app even worse. Rated 2 stars on the play store with the majority being 1 star.

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
Remedy.
Maybe the WAS 8.5 config (luckily don't have to use that as much anymore)

octopedes

Feb 3, 2018
I dislike the ways Confluence and Jira are built and designed. I prefer to stay out of them as much as possible.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Microsoft Dynamics CRM. Clunkiest CRM database software I've ever encountered, and that's including the Windows-95 aesthetics of The Raiser's Edge (which is otherwise fine software once you get past its archaic looks).

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

What year is your Focus? I used to work at a Ford dealership a few years ago and my job was to setup, fix, and teach people how to use the software in their cars. For me, it was pretty straight forward, so I'm not sure why people are having so much problems. It's not perfect, but it works.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Okay this is going to be incredibly specific but if anyone has ever had to register products for safety certification with UL they have a system called UL WERCSmart which is maybe the most cumbersome, unintuitive piece of interface I have ever had to interact with. I have a decent grasp of it now but early on I would have to call their customer support line multiple times to navigate basic functions like "Access an application already in progress" and "Navigate to the panel to address an error with one of your listings that we have identified"