• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
Observe & Report

came out right around the time of Seth Rogen's highest popularity, and I think people figured it would be a breezy comedy like most of his work. It's very much not that

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
MV5BMTUxNzUwNzcyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjM3MTg0MQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR88,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

the Brothers Solomon, written by Will Forte, is a hilarious movie with a 15% on RT. I never see it brought up or mentioned in comedy threads and it was mostly overlooked when it came out.
Let's Go to Prison as well, they came out around the same time and seemed to be completely ignored by most people. I still listen to the St Elmo's Fire song because of Brothers Soloman.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Hellboy 2: The Golden Army - Del Torro as some of his Del Torro-ist. Some crazy set design and a genuinely hilarious script.

Chappie - Honestly a lot about this doesn't really work but I still like it a lot for some reason. It's just so silly and I love stories about robots learning to have emotion.

American Ultra - A fun script and a really cool twist that makes a lot of sense. Eisenberg's character is totally a self-insert for dorks like Max Landis but I have to confess that I liked him because I can see myself in him anyways.

Hoodwinked - Most people probably assumed that this is complete low budget trash because of how horrible the animation is but this is legitimately a contender for the funniest animated movie I've ever seen.

Hancock - Funny as hell and a really ambitious plot twist halfway through that would have warranted an awesome prequel that we never got. Maybe the last time it felt like Will Smith had an ounce of his Fresh Prince charisma?

kingofrod

Oct 27, 2017
atl-poster-mar-31-2006.webp

Big Boi, TI, rollerskating - I love this movie.

"You just hit me in the mouth with some damn money - that is so disrespectful" - Big Boi

So awesome.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
Freddy's Dead is worst reviewed movie in the Nightmare on Elm St series (aside from the remake) but it's, like, the third best one

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Drag me to hell is most definitely underrated and I'm not sure why... Maybe the tone didn't come across? The descent though? If anything the descent is overrated (imo) but it's certainly not underrated. As you said it's regularly cited as one of the best horror films of this century.
With Drag me to Hell I think you're right the tone probably didn't translate and people were expecting a straight up horror flick. I wouldn't say The Descent is overrated but maybe it's been talked about so much that it's no longer "underrated"? I first watched it a couple years after its release and back then it was definitely underrated. I'd say the same about Dark City.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
p16926341_v_v8_aa.jpg

This was utterly fantastic and nobody saw it or cared. One of the only times that I have screamed out loud during a film.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Children of Men

I know it gets a lot praise from those who've seen it, but pretty much anytime I mention it to someone in a conversation, they've never even heard of it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Great low-budget horror/sci-fi I was super impressed with:

s592

Well-received flick that I think is among the best films ever:

281034_93fcb26be8db4e17829f12b853dbe3ee.webp

The best sports film:

Ping-Pong-Poster.jpg

Anything else I can think to shout isn't exactly 'underrated', so much as 'unfairly forgotten' or whatever.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's so good man. Cavill is at his charming best. Shame that one flopped as well.

apparently there's a sequel written that cavill says he'd be interested in returning - I think it's Guy Ritchie's best film in a decade but the marketing I saw was super weak- I suspect everyone involved knew it was a good action film and just didn't land right.

not sure how you fix that next time but I'd watch it.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
apparently there's a sequel written that cavill says he'd be interested in returning - I think it's Guy Ritchie's best film in a decade but the marketing I saw was super weak- I suspect everyone involved knew it was a good action film and just didn't land right.

Audiences just don't want that type of spy movie anymore. Bond went hard in the Bourne direction for a reason. MI is the only non-gritty spy franchise left standing.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Not necessarily super duper underrated, but...

Makoto Shinkai might've struck gold with Your Name, but one of his earlier works (5 Centimeters Per Second) was his true masterpiece. If you liked Your Name, do yourself a favor and watch 5cm ASAP... maybe even as a double feature with Your Name, since they actually complement each other quite nicely. Plus, 5 Centimeters Per Second is only about an hour long, so it won't be too grueling.

I get all teary-eyed just thinking about the ending, lol
If you haven't seen 5cm/sec yet, it might not do much for you... so don't bother spoiling yourself. :)

Last edited:

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
With Drag me to Hell I think you're right the tone probably didn't translate and people were expecting a straight up horror flick. I wouldn't say The Descent is overrated but maybe it's been talked about so much that it's no longer "underrated"? I first watched it a couple years after its release and back then it was definitely underrated. I'd say the same about Dark City.

Hmmm well it performed really well in the box office and also reviewed really well. Anecdotal but the hype from everyone I talked to at the time was off the charts for that movie. I was totally meh on the movie and given how many top horror lists it makes I've tried rewatches but I'm just not a fan.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017

I think one of the bigger issues is that it really isn't an action film at all but that is how audiences were primed to see it. If you actually look at the action of the film it is all really de-emphasized:
  • The car chase at the beginning is slow paced and treated like a game of cat-and-mouse.
  • Any chance of a real fistfight is glided over(Napoleon and Illya do little more than slam each other through bathroom stalls for 15 seconds before their bosses basically groan at their antics, Illya beats up the assholes in the bathroom off camera as a gag).
  • The big boat chase starts and Napoleon immediately falls off and instead of staying with the action the movie follows Napoleon as he listens to music and eats a sandwich.
  • The big assault of the enemy compound where are heroes are backed by a squad of commandos is all handled as a quick and stylish montage.
  • The only really prominent action scene is the final chase.

It is a spy movie that more resembles De Palma's Mission Impossible than its contemporaries, before the climax it might have some action but it is slight and in service of all the spy stuff. And, unfortunately, when an audience goes to see a spy movie they are expecting modern Mission Impossible and Bond levels of action spectacle.

Love The Man From UNCLE so, so much and would kill for a sequel, they just have to sell more like an Ocean's 11/12/13/8 film than a traditional action blockbuster.

SSS6HX.gif

Last edited:

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
no but Man from UNCLE for real.

Italian bathroom fops
Thank you for pointing that out so I don't have to.

On the animated side, I thought The Hunchback of Notre Dame should be a contender for a classic Disney film. Hercules and Treasure Planet are also up there.

For other animated films, Rango is definitely up there as one of the best CGI films ever. Dreamworks actually has quite a few hidden gems with Over the Hedge, Monsters vs Aliens, The Croods and the aforementioned Megamind. They may not match up with Pixar in terms of animation, but the narrative points hold up well.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily super duper underrated, but...

Makoto Shinkai might've struck gold with Your Name, but one of his earlier works (5 Centimeters Per Second) was his true masterpiece. If you liked Your Name, do yourself a favor and watch 5cm ASAP... maybe even as a double feature with Your Name, since they actually complement each other quite nicely. Plus, 5 Centimeters Per Second is only about an hour long, so it won't be too grueling.

I get all teary-eyed just thinking about the ending, lol
If you haven't seen 5cm/sec yet, it might not do much for you... so don't bother spoiling yourself. :)

ever notice that if you put your name and 5cm next to each other, you start to realize that the real antagonist of these movies is the trains?
those things seem to do everything they can to screw up romances.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
for me, it has to be Michael Cimino's brilliant 'Heaven's Gate'

MV5BMzE3YjYzMDgtNjEyYS00ZTk4LThhY2QtMDI4Zjg3MTUyN2ZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTE1NjY5Mg@@._V1_.jpg

I've heard 'Heaven's Gate' referred to as one of the worst films of all time, and that's so baffling to me. it's such a brilliant production. i love its realist take on the Western, its set design, its cast. and the pace is really wonderful too, the film lingers on these environments and gives you time to immerse yourself in this world. i know it's undergone a critical reevaluation more recently and more and more people agree with me that it's great, but I still see people use it as a codeword for "terrible movie" and that's so unfair. to me, 'Heaven's Gate' is a masterpiece
Beat me to it. Bless Z Channel for shining a light onto it.

Wigdogger

Oct 27, 2017
Really loving the praise for Frailty in here. Good work, team! It really is a gem, with a bunch of fantastic actors, and probably two of the better child actors you'll see in film. To me, the whole story rests on you following them, and they nail it. Matt O'Leary just digging that damn hole.

Good call outs for Prince of Darkness, Nocturnal Animals and Dark City too! They're all great.

I'd agree that stuff like Children of Men and L.A. Confidential are top-drawer stuff. Like 5/5 material. But they have both been forgotten to time just a slight bit. But not underrated or underappreciated, I'd say. Maybe a bit "unseen," as some have said.

My list of "underrated/unseen" movies would be:
  1. Deep Water (documentary)
  2. Unforgivable Blackness (documentary)
  3. The King of Kong (documentary)
  4. Wonder Boys (more "unseen")
  5. King of New York
  6. Before the Devil Knows Your Dead
  7. Take Shelter (one of my favs)
  8. Dazed and Confused (shocked how many haven't seen this; it's great)
  9. The Lives of Others (see it if you haven't)
  10. Michael Clayton (it got some love, but it's so well made in every respect)
  11. The Florida Project
  12. Memories of Murder (probably Bong Joon Ho's best after Parasite)
  13. Circle (a fun little sci-fi thought experiment)
  14. The Invitation
  15. The Guilty
  16. Festen (just harrowing, fantastic stuff)
  17. The Hunt (Mads at his best)
  18. Prospect (fun little sci-fi thing)
  19. Paddleton (maybe the best movie last year)
  20. Breaker Morant (see it if you haven't)
  21. Safe (with a brilliant performance by Julianne Moore)
  22. Dawn of the Dead, Snyder Director's Cut (it's just a fun movie)
  23. Payback: Director's Cut (seek it out, as it's a different film entirely than the goofy original cut)
  24. Ten (minimalist indie film out of Iran that's pretty hypnotic)
  25. Locke (with a great performance from Tom Hardy
That's probably good for now =) Oh, and for a TV recommendation I always make, check out Charlie Jade, an American-Canadian-South African co-production that did the "Fringe" thing before Fringe was even around. It's got a few flaws, but there is undeniably some great sci-fi stuff going on there. A great setting too.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Great choice.

I loved the computer games based on it too.

My pick would be the animated Transformers the Movie. It didn't do that well and critically it was panned, but man me and all the kids my age who watched loved the shit out of that movie. It was good enough to make us think that Hot Rod was cool (at least for a few months).

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Zero Effect

p20478_v_v8_aa.jpg

It's a great mystery movie, with some great performances. It does drag at times. but I love it.