• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's the most recognizable video game enemy for people who aren't into video gaming?

• Aliens (from Space Invaders)

Votes: 131 14.7%
  • Ghosts (from Pac-Man)

Votes: 516 57.8%
  • Goombas (from Super Mario)

Votes: 385 43.1%
  • Koopa Troopas (from Super Mario)

Votes: 110 12.3%
  • Slime (from Dragon Quest)

Votes: 17 1.9%
  • Rabbids (from Ravid Rabbids)

Votes: 4 0.4%
  • Bad Piggies (from Angry Birds)

Votes: 44 4.9%

• Total voters

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Creepers were relevant in 2012-2013. Not anymore.
Is that why I see this everytime I walk into Walmart?
Kelloggs-Minecraft-Creeper-Crunch-Cereal-Box.jpeg

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
633px-Metroid.jpg

Case could be made for Metroid(larva) over Slime or Rabbids imo. Iconic series is named after them!

th

Ducks from Duck Hunt if they count too that could be a little older for the new generation though.

Zombie_Dog_%28Resident_Evil%29.jpg

I won't credit zombies as a video game original creation but I don't recall a big fictional work that introduces zombie dogs the way Resident Evil did. I think you show them this concept and most will have nightmares of these things from any Resident Evil game. Take a beloved animal and turn it into something diabolical and downright scary. 2nd antagonist(s) you face in Resident Evil, a practical staple in some form in the long running series.

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The Space Invader being the symbol of gaming might wind up in a 'floppy discs save icon' situation in a bit, as I see Space Invaders showing up less and less in collections and arcades.

I'd say that and Pac-Man Ghosts. The ghosts might 'actually' be more famous than Pac-Man.

(And I think Koopas might be more recognisable than Goombas just because their design is more complex).

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
It's bowser or ghosts. I get your Minecraft votes, the game is massive but people over 40 probably won't recognize it.

Yuli Ban

Feb 1, 2021
The real answer lies in "who would your grandparents recognize?"
Beyond just some Western/Japanese nerds who have very serious opinions about children's television and read fanfiction (cough), who would balding bankers, Afghani tribesmen, 70s rock stars, coal miners, Syrian rebels, foreign diplomats, and your Boomer aunt recognize as a video game enemy?

Overwhelmingly it's going to be the Space Invader aliens or Pac Man ghosts by some fantastic distance.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My grandma was 83 when she died in 2015, she knew what pacman was. I think the pacman ghosts have to win.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Pac man ghosts for sure. I remember an older gentleman buying socks that had the ghosts on them that he bought for his grandkid and he never played video games before but knew they were from a video game.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The first Angry Birds game was downloaded something like 4 billion times. There's two apps specifically about the pigs on the Google Play Store and they each have over 50M downloads.

What's the most popular thing Rabbids have ever been in? Wikipedia says that the whole series has cumulative sales of ~20M (including the Mario crossover game on Switch) and there's a few mobile games with relatively small numbers of downloads. Have they ever appeared in anything with 1% of the reach of Angry Birds at its peak?

the question is about non gamers. i don't think anyone would recognize the pigs if they didn't play the game.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
For all generations: Pac-Man ghosts
For gen x/millennials: Bowser
For zoomers: Minecraft creeper

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I think you could argue for Goombas, Creepers (Minecraft), and Pacman ghosts.

I would say Goombas moreso than Bowser just because they are present in the first level of almost every single Mario game.

Given Minecraft's popularity and being the best selling game of all time, Creepers are definitely up there. They're the most iconic enemy in the game.

Pacman ghosts are the pacman ghosts. Very well known even today.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Should be the ghosts if you're thinking from a worldwide perspective.

I'm tempted to say Super Mario's Goombas too, because even if Nintendo is non-existent in places like India, 80s and 90s folks (maybe also 00s folks) did play and recognise Super Mario on computers and famiclones.

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the Pac Man ghosts. Slimes and Rabbids? Really who's voting for that

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo doesn't really push it or make it a prominent franchise though. I think that's it's undoing, a couple of suspect games in the series should not mean making it obsolete.
Even before those games, it still wasn't selling and was never popular because it'sa niche genre. No one outside of core gaming places will know what a metroid is. If you showed it to Joe Schmoe, they would say it looks like a facehugger ripoff. Which it technically is.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The ape from Donkey Kong is a good one too.

I voted for PacMan ghosts. I think if most people, not even videogame players, saw those ghosts they'd recognize them as being from pacman or a game, where as the Goomba or ape, or something else, someone who has no idea might think they could be from a cartoon show or something.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Even before those games, it still wasn't selling and was never popular because it'sa niche genre. No one outside of core gaming places will know what a metroid is. If you showed it to Joe Schmoe, they would say it looks like a facehugger ripoff. Which it technically is.
I only know of Slime because I love JRPGs but a common person in the states isn't going to know what that thing is. Neither should win this(i voted for Ghosts) just brought up suggestions up above and I feel Metroid is more prominent than a few of the choices up above.

Oct 27, 2017
Pac-Man Ghosts 100%. Everyone and their mom has played Pac-Man at some point. Either at an arcade or on a smartphone. Plus, Pac-Man has to be the first groundbreaking, internationally well known and popular video game franchise besides Tetris. I can't even count how many TV shows/movies from the 80's use the iconic Pac-Man/Ghosts sounds when they have a scene at an arcade or something.

2nd would be most enemies from the Mario games, especially Bowser, but since that's missing from the poll - Goomba and/or Koopa Troopa.

3rd would be Dr. "Eggman" Robotnik from Sonic, but that's just my opinion and upbringing speaking.

Last edited: