• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Paris and New York. It's annoying to see NY in every movie.
More annoying when "I'm moving to Paris" line in movies is like the ultimate jump in life. That you evolved as a human being and you became supperior to the rest of us poor non-paris visitors/residents.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
Monaco is wanky and shitty as fuck. Super pretentious even though the reality is that it's stuck about 20 years in the past for culture.

Oct 13, 2018
Went to Dubai once to visit a friend in the State department. And yes, it's Dubai. You won't find a more shallow veneer of prestige and glamour anywhere.

dingobingo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
That's quite the difference... Cincinnati and Dubai. Is that where your parents are from but they lived in Cincy when you were born?

Nah, my parents are from Cincinnati, we moved due to my dad getting a great job. Dubai is an awsome place, the most pretentious and un pretentious place ever šŸ˜

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Austin is awful about this. It IS a great city in a lot of ways but the locals are incredibly up their own asses about it.

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
Any song that has the lyrics "New York New York, so good they named it twice " in it definitely has the crown of most pretentious city.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was gonna say it's impossible for a city to be pretentious, but then I remembered Canton/Avon, Connecticut

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
To change things up a bit I will keep it Minnesota only and say Edina. It is a part of the Minneapolis/St Paul metro area full of very rich white people. The adults are mostly jerks, the kids are assholes, and they all have the idea that they're better than everybody else.

Hell, they even got called out in the movie The Mighty Ducks. Bunch of cake eaters.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
As much as I like Las Vegas, Vegas is certainly pretentious. Any city that attempts to recreate the Venetian Canals is pretentious as hell in my book.

I still love Las Vegas, though. And honestly, some of the pretentious people of the city make walking around the strip entertaining as hell.

EDIT: Nah. I take it back. San Francisco has Jonathan Blow, so maybe SF?
Wut? Vegas is the antithesis of pretentious.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York. God forbid you tell a New Yorker that another city does ANYTHING better

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Dubai definitely. Like a dude who made a billion dollars in crypto and then turned his home into disney castle in the middle of a trailer park.

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta be Dubai.
Kyoto is pretty high up there too. St. Petersburg for Eastern Europe. A lot of absolutely insufferable types living in those two.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know if anything beats New York and certain New Yorkers' fixation on being the greatest city in the world whether their reasons for that make any sense whatsoever. I also notice those claiming this are often the people who have spent near zero time outside of NYC, so how the hell would they even know?
This is true. NYC is a shithole, but refuses to take advice because "this is NY, things are different."

I have never felt Paris to be pretentious, and I speak terrible French.

Fucking French Canadians though, uber pretentious.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
It's gotta be San Francisco/Bay Area with Silicon Valley being there. What's that joke about there's a start up there which reinvents the bus every other week?

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
What do the Parisians do that make people feel they are pretentious
There is a story from when the Eiffel tower was new: one writer found the tower so distasteful that he took his supper every night in the Eiffel tower restaurant because it was the only restaurant in the city where you couldn't see the Eiffel tower.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles is the only answer but even that comes with the caveat that it's only certain sections.
New York is pretentious as fuck about food. Your pizza and bagels are all you got.
Yeah that's not even remotely true.
As someone living in Switzerland, I'm compelled to say: Zurich.

Say what you like about Paris and New York, at least these places have the global significance to back up their pretentiousness. Zurich, on the other hand, is merely your average mid-sized European city that just happens to be very, very rich and therefore desperately craves to be counted among the Londons, Parises, New Yorks, and Tokyos of this world. At the same time, it is still an essentially provincial city that also desperately wants to preserve the provincial character of its cityscape. If this is not the definition of pretentiousness, then I don't know what it is.
In defense of ZĆ¼rich, everyone was incredibly sweet to my son when we were there. He literally got a present at every restaurant we went to.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of New York.

Some of New York can be pretentious but its too large and diverse of a place to paint all five boroughs with that brush. Maybe people just walked down 5ave and broadway in manhattan a couple of times and came to this thread. :/

For what I've experienced, its been smaller towns in NJ, NY and NC. Ashville in NC, Montclair and Princeton in NJ and a couple of upstate NY towns.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I've spent months in NY, Portland, Etc etc and it's def SF nowadays with the Silicon Valley folk. Every late 20-something making $250k+/year feels so out of touch from reality and you run into it in every store, every restaurant, every hotel. *shudder*

It's especially frustrating when you consider the homeless situation in the area and how many "normal folk" are struggling to afford their BART pass.

le-seb

Oct 31, 2017
More annoying when "I'm moving to Paris" line in movies is like the ultimate jump in life. That you evolved as a human being and you became supperior to the rest of us poor non-paris visitors/residents.
Which is funny because a lot of people actually living in Paris and its suburbs do dream of leaving the city.
I also personally can't stand people calling the Champs-ƉlysĆ©es avenue "the most beautiful avenue in the world", it's so pedantic.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Tough to decide. A lot of cities could be seen as pretentious but usually like, justifiably so? Like you could make a case that cities like New York and Boston are pretentious in their feelings of self importance but...they ARE important! I guess I'd say like, Los Angeles? It's where the "beautiful people" live but in a lot of ways it's a steaming shithole with huge problems. But I mean, IDK. Pretentious is a loaded word.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
went to a wedding in Williamsburg a few weeks ago and the minister opened with a passage about how wonderful it was to see people travel so far to the beautiful city of New York.

The fuckin' city had to get a shoutout before we could move onto the bride and groom.